Are YSL shoes terrible quality?

sarahthustra

Mar 23, 2019
Hi all- I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with quality when it comes to YSL boots.
I own three pairs of the LouLou ankle boot: 70 cm in suede, 70 cm leather Chelsea boots, and 95 cm leather.
Both the suede and 95 cm leather boots have broken extremely quickly: the bottom of the heel has fallen out after wearing the suede boots six times and the leather boots just once. I've found out the hard way that the heel, though beautiful, isn't solid- rather it's just plastic pieces stuck together. The owner of the repair place the brand sent me to told me that the bottom of the heel is stuck together through force and YSL doesn't use glue or anything to hold the pieces together.

YSL has been surprisingly great about replacing or fixing them; the NY store on E 57th just handed me a new pair of the suede shoes when I came back with the damaged ones, and the Palm Beach store covers all expenses at a great repair shop in Boca. I'm just utterly baffled that the shoes have broken in the same way so very, very quickly, and while the shoes have been fixed, I'm really terrified of breaking them again! I'm not wearing them excessively or inappropriately, but it's making me really wary of purchasing anything else from the brand. Am I the only one having these issues?

I stick with YSL because I've not found any other boots like this with exceedingly clean lines, though if anyone knows of any other boots in similar styles, do share.

The offending shoes, for reference:

12542818_11948592_480.jpg m_5bd84a29de6f62a9bba97823.jpg

Perhaps it's that particular style that has issues. I have a few different styles, but no quality issues. My most worn pair are these Cat leopard boots that I wear almost nonstop during cool weather months
P6.jpg
I've had them almost 4 years now and haven't had to do much more than typcial maintenance
...touching up the heel tips and rubber sole, which is typical for all my designer shoes while gallavanting around NYC. In fact, I hope nothing ever happens to these cuz they're the best!

Reactions: HavPlenty
Hi all- I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with quality when it comes to YSL boots.
I own three pairs of the LouLou ankle boot: 70 cm in suede, 70 cm leather Chelsea boots, and 95 cm leather.
Both the suede and 95 cm leather boots have broken extremely quickly: the bottom of the heel has fallen out after wearing the suede boots six times and the leather boots just once. I've found out the hard way that the heel, though beautiful, isn't solid- rather it's just plastic pieces stuck together. The owner of the repair place the brand sent me to told me that the bottom of the heel is stuck together through force and YSL doesn't use glue or anything to hold the pieces together.

YSL has been surprisingly great about replacing or fixing them; the NY store on E 57th just handed me a new pair of the suede shoes when I came back with the damaged ones, and the Palm Beach store covers all expenses at a great repair shop in Boca. I'm just utterly baffled that the shoes have broken in the same way so very, very quickly, and while the shoes have been fixed, I'm really terrified of breaking them again! I'm not wearing them excessively or inappropriately, but it's making me really wary of purchasing anything else from the brand. Am I the only one having these issues?

I stick with YSL because I've not found any other boots like this with exceedingly clean lines, though if anyone knows of any other boots in similar styles, do share.

View attachment 4381771 View attachment 4381772

All designers shoes are like this. When the heels are thick, they tip is the heels are not screwed in. My Loubs are also like this.

View attachment 4381771 View attachment 4381772

Any updates on your LouLous?

I have the black suede with gold stars and the lightness of the heel feels flimsy, so far I'm basically wearing car-indoors only.

I think most modern "luxury" shoes are so cheaply made for their price. Those heels should be stacked leather, not plastic. I can verify Gianvito Rossi boots also use plastic and I have seen snapped heels.

• Sad
Reactions: papertiger
I think most modern "luxury" shoes are so cheaply made for their price. Those heels should be stacked leather, not plastic. I can verify Gianvito Rossi boots also use plastic and I have seen snapped heels.

My Gucci and Hermes shoes and boots seem fantastic (so far) so I'm really sad to hear. There are some really tempting SL AW21 tweed heels I'm eyeing atm, perhaps I need to get a grip of sanity and let go of my Winter shoe dream :sad: .

Sergio Rossi (where Gianvito Rossi used to work since it was his father's company) was also really good so I am really sorry to hear this too.

• Sad
Reactions: tulipfield
I have only one pair of YSL boots that I got in 2017 or 2018. They have held up fantastically well. And living in California I only have 3 pairs of boots total so I get a lot of wear out of them. The YSL boots were quite painful to break in tbh, the leather was very stiff, but I have never had issues with the heel or the sole. I don’t even have sole protectors for them.

Most of my heels do have sole protectors though, which I think definitely help.
I’ve also had 4 YSL heels (2 heeled sandals and 2 pumps). The 2 heeled sandals did not have sole protectors and I’d say the soles got worn down pretty fast. Heel part was good though.
My 2 other YSL pumps with sole protectors have held up very well so far.

I have only one pair of YSL boots that I got in 2017 or 2018. They have held up fantastically well. And living in California I only have 3 pairs of boots total so I get a lot of wear out of them. The YSL boots were quite painful to break in tbh, the leather was very stiff, but I have never had issues with the heel or the sole. I don’t even have sole protectors for them.

Most of my heels do have sole protectors though, which I think definitely help.
I’ve also had 4 YSL heels (2 heeled sandals and 2 pumps). The 2 heeled sandals did not have sole protectors and I’d say the soles got worn down pretty fast. Heel part was good though.
My 2 other YSL pumps with sole protectors have held up very well so far.

So glad your boots are doing well. Mine are very fine suede and really comfortable but feel so light compared with other designer boots/shoes.

The problem with trying to put heel protectors on Lou boots is that the heels are like plastic lids on a hollow bottle. I would be afraid that attaching the protectors would actually break the heel.

Reactions: lill_canele
So glad your boots are doing well. Mine are very fine suede and really comfortable but feel so light compared with other designer boots/shoes.

The problem with trying to put heel protectors on Lou boots is that the heels are like plastic lids on a hollow bottle. I would be afraid that attaching the protectors would actually break the heel.

Ah, yes, my suede pumps/shoes are probably the most comfortable type of shoe for me, haha, I also do like lambskin, but it's a bit delicate.

Yes, I can see that. I don't have much experience with Louboutins, as I only have 1 pair that were for my wedding. So granted, it's the type that's a little flashy and I don't use it often enough to see how the sole protector wears. :P

I have nothing but high praise for YSL boots, I literally have 8 pair and love them all. They are the most comfortable shoes I own and they have held up to several years of wear. It’s like they were made just for my size and shape of foot, they fit me like a glove!! I will be buying yet another pair this winter.

I'm not buying Saint Laurent shoes again after seeing this.

It's basically a fake stacked heel. The lower heeled boots I have from Saint laurent do not have this, but it just makes me think the company is not above short-cuts and shoddy quality and construction in general. Yes, I know these shoes are worn down and abused, that's not really the point. There shouldn't have been plastic inside the heel regardless. As the cobblers explain in the video it makes them more difficult to restore and less easy to repair making it bad for the environment too. If you buy a stacked heel you expect to be able to have it repaired and the should could basically last forever, making the deceptive fake stacked heel much worse than just a visible rubber heel.

1638034969057.png

Reactions: jade