Are you embarrassed to buy "intimate products?"

Are you embarrassed to buy "intimate products?"

• Yes, I'm embarrassed so I don't buy them

• Yes, I'm embarrassed but I buy them anyway

• No, I'm not embarrassed but I understand why others are

• No, there is no reason to be embarrassed

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not embarrassed about buying sanitary napkins, etc,. but I did have to get over embarrassment buying Poise Incontinent pads starting about 7 years ago when my male dog just would not quit lifting his leg in the house (even after castration). He wears a belly band with Poise pad inside.

Here I roll up to the register at Costco with 2 cases of the darned things and thinking oh hell they'll think these are for me and I was only about 45 at the time. I got used to it, don't think about it now:shrugs:

I'm not embarrassed to buy pads and birth control pills, because those are for health reasons.

To be honest, I'm not at the place where I need to buy condoms yet, but when I do, I imagine they would be grouped in with the For Health Reasons stuff and I would therefore not be embarrassed about buying them.

For sexual things, I wouldn't say so much embarrassed as cautious. I mean... no, I don't want my great aunt or the principal of the school I work in standing in line behind me while I buy condoms, know what I mean? I still live in my hometown and you see a lot of people you know when you're out and about. Those are kind of awkward things for people you know (other than friends) to see you buying ("Hey, wordbox, how's it going? What kind of lube you buying?" lol). I'm mature and can handle buying them, but if I can avoid some weirdness then I will.

I, too, grew up in a home where my mother would NEVER speak about the body or anything having to do with it. When my sister and I got near the age when we might get our periods, she put pamphlets and reading material in the upstairs bathroom so she would never have to speak of it herself.

So I dealt with that for a long time, and even hesitated to wear v-necks or anything even remotely revealing. I have since come to the conclusion that my body is not going to get any better with age, so I had better wear it NOW! Likewise, I generally never think twice about buying personal hygeine or aid products, but that is probably because I usually buy them with a cart full of other items from a discount store.

I DO usually choose a woman at the check out counter, but that is just to save the teenaged boys the embarrassment. More than one of them has turned a shade of red and completely clammed up after checking items like that through - no more small talk! So I just save them the humiliation and check out with a woman instead!

I've never been embarassed to be seen buying condoms. I'd rather be picking out a box of Trojans than a box of Pampers any day.

As far as like, pregnancy tests, KY, tampons, pads, etc.--that never bothered me either. They're selling this stuff in stores, so surely I can't be the only one buying it. I don't understand why people wouldn't want to be seen buying condoms. At least it means you're protecting yourself if you're having sex. And anyway, doesn't EVERYONE have sex? I don't see what's so taboo about it. If not for sex, none of us would be here.

:shrugs:

I think I used to be a bit shy about that kind of stuff maybe around the time I started having relationships, but I grew up pretty fast as it relates to that.

I guess the best way to describe how I feel about it is to compare it to the episode of SATC where Samantha takes the massager back to the Sharper Image and teaches the other women about which ones would make good vibrators. LOL

Thankfully, I am not embarrassed at all...and trying to make sure the boys are not either.

When my oldest son was 17, he had the same girlfriend for about a year...of course, he had the birds and bees talk and info from school long ago...but with prom season coming up DH and I took a realistic approach and I had another talk with him...telling him condoms were a must, not an option...because, they were not just about birth control, but about protecting your life. DH followed up by taking him to the rite aid close by and having my son buy the condoms..we wanted him to see that no one who even bat an eye when he bought them.

Thankfully, I am not embarrassed at all...and trying to make sure the boys are not either.

When my oldest son was 17, he had the same girlfriend for about a year...of course, he had the birds and bees talk and info from school long ago...but with prom season coming up DH and I took a realistic approach and I had another talk with him...telling him condoms were a must, not an option...because, they were not just about birth control, but about protecting your life. DH followed up by taking him to the rite aid close by and having my son buy the condoms..we wanted him to see that no one who even bat an eye when he bought them.

My son is 6. I will be sure to remember this when he gets to be this age! Thank you for sharing!

I wish there were more people like you :tup::tup::tup::tup:

I would buy condoms with my everyday things from target all the time. I wouldn't care that someone saw me with them or the cashier would give me a funny look. At least I'm protecting myself. Plus my bf and I use to just go to costco and get the Huge box there just because it was so cheap. And that's all we would buy..lol...2 boxes of condoms. People would look at us all strange, but :shrugs: We saved money by buying in bulk.

Oh and good for you Tink, having another talk with your son and letting him see that he shouldn't be shy about buying condoms. :tup:

Condoms don't bother me. Not in the slightest. Pads/tampons... don't bother me either. I was, however, a little embarrassed going with my boyfriend to the 24 hour drugstore to pick up Plan B at 3:30AM. :blush: I made HIM ask for it! :P

The only thing sort of embarassing to me is sex toys, and I order those online. I know this sounds silly, but I have this fear of dying prematurely and having my family find all my pervy stuff. :nuts: