Aqua Mabel is here.....

ditab

Mulberryaholic
O.G.
Dec 13, 2006
... and she's stunning :heart: The colour is much darker than I was expecting, like a teal colour, rather than a pale turquoise. It is simply beautiful. The leather is so soft and slouchy :love: It's definitely a casual bag :yes:

I'm at work, though, and haven't been able to open it up properly, try it on, etc which is gutting. I've only managed a quick look in the dustbag :shame: I'll bring it home tonight and try it on properly then.

However.....

...there is a big scuff on the main front strap and a large scratch on the shoulder strap :crybaby: I know the bag is antiqued leather and will look creased, aged etc and actually, that doesn't bother me in the slightest with this colour. But I don't know if the scuff is to be expected. I'm also wondering whether this bag was a return and, if so, was it because of these marks? If someone else wasn't prepared to accept them, why should I?

Or is that silly? Presumably Mulberry thought it was good enough to send out...

Maybe I'm just hesitant as it's the first bag I've paid full price for and I'm expecting it to be "perfect". I'm happy to accept minor scuffs & scratches on outlet purchases or in the sale but I sort of expect "new and untouched" from a full price web purchase.

I'm sure it'll all be clearer once I've tried it on properly. Either I'll love it enough to accept the scratches or I won't....

I'd ring the customer services and ask them?
Mine was due today!! I literally popped out for 15 mins to post something and missed him!!! Gutted, will have to stay in all day again tomorrow now!!
Glad you like it though.
My Midnight Mabel has scuffs etc but without seeing your IRL, I can't help I'm afraid.

Uh oh! I wouldn't be happy about scuffs & marks on a full price bag. Only you will know if you can accept them.
As you say antiqued leather will show marks & my betting is that is what customer services will tell you.
Have a good look at it when you get home & let us know what you decide.

Uh oh! I wouldn't be happy about scuffs & marks on a full price bag. Only you will know if you can accept them.
As you say antiqued leather will show marks & my betting is that is what customer services will tell you.
Have a good look at it when you get home & let us know what you decide.

I just took it into the changing rooms at work for a full on inspection. The rest of the bag is fine, minor scratches & creases, but the front scuff is pretty bad.

Based on rachie's advice, I called customer services and they've told me to return the bag and they'll arrange for a new one to be sent. (I asked them to double check that the bag was in "new" condition and wasn't a customer return). However, I've decided that I don't want another one. I'm not sure I can live with that leather at that price :crybaby:

So they're going to call me back to talk about the return option. They were originally going to arrange for a UPS collection but I don't know if I'd have to pay for that. The bag came in a Mulberry box so the package weighs 3.5kg. It would cost me £25 to post it back :tdown: but I'm hoping that because the item is damaged, I'll get that reimbursed :shrugs:

Oh that's so disappointing! I did wonder if you would be able to live with the leather as you're quite like me - (fussy!) and I know I couldn't.
I love the way you make instant decisions though. Usually with UPS there is a free return arrangement as you have bought mail order. I can't see you having to pay to return it.
If you're not happy you're right to return it. There'll be something better around the corner.

Awwww Dita so sorry this mabel has spoilt it for you. Hope you get it all sorted with Customer Services.

Sorry you missed yours Rachie, hopefully you won't be disappointed once you get it.

The leather is supposed to be smooshy, beat up and easily marked, but I don't know about a bid scratch on the front of the bag. I see that mine does have scratches on the handles and many on the front, but I personally like the way it looks. It feels vintage-y!

Oh how disappointing for you!!

yeah I'm in agreement with you Kerri, I like the look of the leather and I don't worry about damaging it, like I did with my oak bags.
Without seeing it though it's hard to tell, but for that amount of money you have to be 110% happy!!

^^Exactly. I will be a lot less worried about getting marks on this than I would if it was the rose pink goatskin version...or my Roxanne!!

It is all about personal taste though. The style of leather is quite different from most Mulberry bags and it may feel like you are not "getting what you pay for".

I've packaged it up now ready to go back tomorrow but honestly, if you saw this scuff on the strap :tdown: It's like someone's gone over it back & forth with a key or something. And it's so noticable - that middle, magnetic strap is the first thing that catches your eye.

I've seen your bag from the photos, Keri, and the marks/creases on yours are nothing like the ones on this bag :nogood: It's a bit like the display model in the shop - the one you try on, but not the one you end up bringing home.

It's not that I have a huge problem with delicate leather. My most used bag is the washed nappa Joni that I know a lot of people can't live with but those scratches don't bother me. That said, it was perfect when I got it - all the scratches are of my own stupid making :rolleyes::lol:

I got my large Antony messenger with a huge discount because it had a huge scratch on the front. They must have known they would have had problems shifting it because they offered me a huge discount. They gave me the whole "Mulberry leather is meant to...yadda yadda". I said I understood all that, but I wanted to be the one to make the scratches thanks very much!!

Now the scratch is all but gone and the bag is fantastic.

I got my mono Mabel discounted because there's a mark on the back. If it were on the front I wouldn't have been able to live with it but no-one is ever going to notice it on the back.
It does come down to personal choice - I'm like Ditab & couldn't cope with the antiqued leather because of the marking. I once got a pen mark on a bag (non-Mulberry) & was upset for days!