Workplace Anyone with a career switch at 40? Without feeling like a loser.

Hello me again! Talking again about how I got my dream job in a large company in my early 20's.
Well since, I've worked -under the same position/title- in very different areas and project s learning skills along the way....but never quite capable of using these new skills as a stepping stone (somehow I learn and forget). So I haven't climbed the corporate ladder preferring the excitement of the various areas and moving sideways instead.
Now I've reached a point where I like less and less the corporate fortune company type.
I used to dream of being a business creative woman myself. Ambitions.
I feel I don't belong anymore...management is not for me (I had anxiety with the responsibilities.)
But I'm together on the same ground level as with employees who are much younger and I feel I lack the younger fresher skills and mainly energy and motivation that the new comers have....I mean I look younger and I'm often admired by these youngsters for my calmness and style. But probably not my work anymore. I'm considering just changing all together.
I could find a job within that field somewhere else but I'm doubting my skills so much.
Or I could just use my overall general skills and start over in another field. Something easier.
Or I'm considering travelling.
Sometimes I'm so tired of these expectations I just want to be a barista in my fav coffee shop.
Of course I have a hard time thinking of letting go of my comfy lifestyle. (the yearly holidays/exotic trips and the cocktails bars and nice clothes I can afford on a steady salary) going backwards instead of more....I see my friends working and having more and more and soon I won't be able to follow and afford the same lifestyle.
And -linked to my other thread- I ve had enough of the location, even though it's apparently cool, new people come and "fall in love" with the city and I can't see the beauty of it anymore!! Like I'm done.
I mean, what do you do mid-career when you are -still- not on management level?? Can u still be hired somewhere else or you have to create your own job?
Also I have had a tendency to attach my value as a person to my job....and I don't want to feel like I'm just giving up...

OP, did you end up finding something else?

Reactions: finer_woman
Have you considered going back to school? I had a good career as an RN but decided to go to law school in my 40’s. My niece decided to get her BSN when she was in her 50’s!!!

Many years ago people (mostly men) worked 20 years and retired with a gold watch and a pension. Now we are all living longer and I know many folks who have chosen completely different careers after the first 20.

I'm 38 and I'm still in grad school and I've never even had a career so I am also trying not to feel like a loser. I don't even know what I want to do for a job, ever... No advice just commiseration! You are not alone!

If you are managing to get through grad school, I am sure you will fare well with a job.