Food Anyone here uses slow cookers/crock pots?

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beac...8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1193794294&sr=8-6

I have this Hamilton Beach one. This is my first slow cooker and have happily used it several times since purchasing earlier this year. In fact, I just used it a couple of days ago.

I can't speak for the Rival brand which seems to be a favorite, but what I like about my Hamilton Beach is its size (six quarts) and also the sealed lid. The cleanup is easy and it has multiple heat settings.

I have adapted some of my mom's stew recipes for the slow cooker and have enjoyed not having to stand in front of the stove. You can also visit www.recipezaar.com for slow cooker recipes.

Happy cooking!

I love to cook in CPot. It is easy and convient. I use to start my dinner in the morning before work and come home to a beautiful meal already done. I put it on low. I see there is a new CPot that has 3 different inserts with a handle and a sleeve to put what is is for potlucks.

I think Target carries the Rival Crock pots.

I love using ours. It makes things so easy!
I've used one for years, and never had a problem with it being on while we were gone.

If you want to cook something specific, do a google search - there's a plethora of recipes on the internet.

The grocery stores around here occasionally have them on sale for $20-$25. Kohl's often has them on sale too. We have a no-name brand that I got at a grocery store years ago for $25. Love it.

I often leave it on all day to cook a stew or soup. Baked beans and lentils come out especially good. It doesn't use that much electricity and it's never in danger of boiling over.

I was JUST logging on to ask about slow cookers. I have a really fugly rival crockpot that has not done me wrong in 14 years and 7 moves. HOWEVER, the outer section looks yellowed and dated (some vegetable pattern on ivory background) and the insert is green ceramic and the plastic lid is so discolored (not colored, just not very see through) that I would be embarassed to bring it anywhere like a potlock! I think I paid like $20 for it and I have NO REASON to get a new one, but I do look.

First, I think the size I have is too small for what I like to cook. I'll have to test it, but it is for sure no bigger than 5 quarts and could be 4 quarts. So, if I get a new one, it will be a MASSIVE one as I like to make large batches of things and freeze for later.

However, the prices are ALL OVER THE PLACE for these things. Williams Sonoma sells a cast iron insert one for $250 (you can sear your meat in the same pan and put it in the regular oven too). They also have a $150 one by all-clad that is 7 quarts and with the ceramic insert. There are those by Kitchen Aid for less and then Rival for even less.

I just want to know, IS there a difference in how they perform? Isn't their only function to heat slowly and clean easily? Mine is basic enough that it doesn't have a timer. It's either off, warm or high, but what is the purpose of a timer anyway? If you aren't home, you don't want it turning off and spoiling the food? Can't you use a regular clock/timer to check for when it's done otherwise?

I'm just trying to understand the HUGE price differences. For most things, I can see the extras that make something special but I'm not seeing it here and I'm curious!

ETA: Just looked on ebay and found my exact pot! Here's it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LARGE-RIVAL-SLO...ryZ20672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and yes, it's 4 quarts. No wonder I run out of room for spaghetti sauce and large roasts!

^^^ We have a big one that is bigger and uglier than yours! It's over 20 years old and still works great. Last year I bought a medium size Rival and a really small Rival. The medium size is perfect for most things I cook. The small one is great for hot dips. A good cook book is "Fix It and Forget It".