Anyone gone from the Classic GH to RH?

Cait

only once you live
Dec 11, 2005
Maybe this is more apropos for the Bal Shopping forum.

So, I'm still on the hunt for a pre-loved GH bag, but I've also fallen in love with Bal since I got my first cRGGH City bag back in July of 2011. The thing that sold me on Bal was the giant hardware - thimble-like, gorgeous on a pop bag. But now I'm visiting maybe-Mr. Slocombe-one day ;), out in the Ell Ayy in the Springtime. And I'd love to get myself another bag for my 25th.

I know I want to buy another Balenciaga. The only other bag I'm really interested in would be a Chanel Re-Issue in the 226 size, and that's out of my budget right now. A new RH Bal would not. And I rather detest large logos, so a higher-end LV or a Chanel PST is not something I'm interested in spending my money. I love the lived in feel of Bal, and though I know I should be practical, I'll end up getting a bag that isn't black.

I know this might sound silly, but have any ladies done the opposite - gone from Giant Hardware, to the RH that put Bal on the map? I'm sure there are lots of ladies who've done the opposite - grown with their Bal addicitions, starting with RH and GH. But has anyone done the GH to RH thing?

I started out with RH - they did not make GH when I started buying Balenciaga bags. Then I tried the GH - bought a lot of GH. Silver, Gold, etc. I bought the GH in city, part-time, hobo, and work sizes.

Then I went back to RH. I just like RH better. I still have some GH, but I don't carry them.

I did! I started with GH bags. I realized I bumped GH a lot to a table or a chair or something a lot and made big noises. They were sticking out to much for me. I switched to RH. No more GH for me since. It's much lighter than GH. No bumping around!:biggrin:

I started with GH as well, and while I still love my GH bags and continue to carry them, my latest Bal purchase is an RH.
The weight of the GH is not an issue for me-I don't find them heavy at all. The reason why I went to RH is because of the discontinuation of GH ( I don't care for the mini giant HW at all).

I started with GH as well, and while I still love my GH bags and continue to carry them, my latest Bal purchase is an RH.
The weight of the GH is not an issue for me-I don't find them heavy at all. The reason why I went to RH is because of the discontinuation of GH ( I don't care for the mini giant HW at all).

I agree with all this; I always thought I wanted a RH bag, then I saw GH and I fell in love. The only reason I'd go over to the RH side would be because the GH has been discontinued.

Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet, and stick to Bals for smaller bags - from what I can see on the site, mGH looks nice on the Envelope clutch, Pom Pon, and the Town. I can't see buying a mGH City, but I can see buying an RH City - I just truly don't know if I'll still reach for my old GH bags, even with an RH as well...

I guess this is something I'll just have to decide in person... :biggrin:

I started out loving GH, and then ditched most of my GH bags after I found out how lightweight and casual the RH bags are. However, after the discontinuation of GH, I've converted back to collecting GH bags once again because I was so worried about not being able to get them in the future if I fall in love with them again.
That being said, I still think RH bags are the best for everyday tasks.

BTW have you seen the mGH work? I saw one IRL today and it wasn't as bad as what I had imagined. I carried my GH work with me so I was able to compare the two. The mGH on the new work are not as small as they are on the City, so they look very similar to how the GH used to look, plus possibly lighter in weight. The work and giant work also didn't suffer as much an increase in price; I think they only went up by $50 in the last increase. So you might want to give the mGH work a thought if you like GH.

I fell in love w/ Bal because of GH & RH just grew on me. Now, I love RH as much as GH, but due to the price increase & the reduction of GH to mini, I'd get the RH instead.

BTW have you seen the mGH work? I saw one IRL today and it wasn't as bad as what I had imagined. I carried my GH work with me so I was able to compare the two. The mGH on the new work are not as small as they are on the City, so they look very similar to how the GH used to look, plus possibly lighter in weight. The work and giant work also didn't suffer as much an increase in price; I think they only went up by $50 in the last increase. So you might want to give the mGH work a thought if you like GH.

Excellent :smile: I shall take a look at the Work, as well as RH schtuff.

I used to buy both, but I found that the weight of the GH bags, as well as the zippers being more difficult to "zip" had me leaving them sitting in my closet. So I sold all of my GH bags and now only have RH. Not sure yet if I'll get the mGH...I really like my tassels.

^^ I'm a tassel-lover, too. Started with RH and I'm back at RH. Tried to do the bigger hw thing for awhile and I adore the look of it but can't fathom carrying a bag that heavy when I know the same model with classic hw is a lot lighter. Must be psychological. Some might find the extra weight of GH bags tolerable. But I'm a smaller build... I don't. Not when I know there's an RH bag just right around the corner.

Of course, if GH were all that Bal made (ha!) then I'd carry it without question. Back problems - so what? Gimme my Balenciaga.

(Hey, it's not like I haven't tried though! Some GH bags are utterly to die for.)

I guess it depends what we're all used to. I find the GH City loaded up heavy, but I was used to carting a Paddington when shopping. The Bal by comparison is a light-weight. :graucho:

I guess it depends what we're all used to. I find the GH City loaded up heavy, but I was used to carting a Paddington when shopping. The Bal by comparison is a light-weight. :graucho:

This is true... Chloe, by comparison is WAY heavier than any Bal. So if you started with Chloe, than you're in for a treat with either hardware choice you choose.

I started with Bal. So there. :P

I bought RH to add variety to my obsession with the GH. Now I carry my RH bags when I have long errands and GH when on shorter errands etc, etc....Bu I started with heavy bags so the GH is no issue with me as well.
Also, there are some LE bags that only came with RH like the fluo series so I just had to have them.