Anyone from Chicago, Dallas, or Houston?

I moved to Chicago from California 1.5 years ago. Big change but I love it!

Chicago:
- Easy to find a neighborhood you'll feel comfortable in (and can afford) from bohemian Wicker Park to swanky Gold Coast.
- Incredible restaurants... sorry to the southern ladies, but our dining scene has to beat Dallas and Houston's!
- Bitterly cold winters but it weeds out the whiny wimps! If this California girl can handle it, so can you!
- Amazing summer... every weekend there's something fun to do, like Taste of Chicago where Chicago's restaurants all get together and let you sample their food!
- Definitely don't need a car here. The public transit isn't the best in the country, but more than sufficient.
- Great nightlife, great social things to do for young people. Chicago has more pubs than any other city in America.
- People are very nice, very down to earth here.

Callin me a whiny wimp are ya? :P Just wait til you spend about 30 winters here! LOL!
Have to agree about the food tho, Chicgo rules! :tup:

I think a big part of it is where you grew up. I was born in the Midwest, went to SMU in Dallas my frosh yr, then transferred back to a Big Ten school. I now live in Chicago. In addition to what the other Chicago ladies said, I personally believe that there is NO BETTERCITY IN THE SUMMER THAN CHICAGO!! You def get 4 distinct seasons (I really missed that in Dallas).

The biggest factor for me is that IMHO you get real, down to earth people in Chicago. Each section of the country has a distinct feel (I've also lived on the East coast). All I can say is it's just different. To me, Big D seemed very superficial (maybe b/c of the school I went to). Everyone was concerned about the car you drove, where in Texas you grew up. It also has a very high divorce rate. I'm sorry, I don't mean to rag on Texas , so I'll just shut up. I honestly don't mean to offend anyone. I'm also at a different stage in my life, but when I graduated from IU, everyone wanted to go to Chicago. It's just a fab city to be young and single in or to raise a family in.

I suggest you decide on your future location from a career standpoint. The major clients/industries varies among cities/offices. So depending on what line of service you choose and your position, one city might be preferable to another. Also, salary varies among cities, so the Chicago office will pay more than Houston office. Therefore, the cost of living shouldn't be an issue for you, as to my knowledge, the Big 4 will well compensated you to live in whatever city decides to hire you.

I love Chicago and if you decide to go to Chicago, live near the loop...or if you can find out which clients you will mainly work on...live near the client. IMO, you won't have a lot of chances to go out after work your first couple of years in the Big 4. You will be working a lot of late hours and most likely required weekends during busy season. Your 'team' will probably hang out after work near the office.

I am a CPA and was with a Big 4 for 9 years.

It's so interesting to hear everyone's thoughts!

happy1-I totally agree with everything you are saying. I've already been warned about the long hours and weekends :sad: I think it does make sense to live close to the loop, just because I will be at work so much. But everyone seems to agree that no one lives there! I will see if any of the recommended areas like Lincoln Park and Gold Coast are close to the loop.

windycityaj- uhhhh no air conditioning? oh my! I am glad that you mentioned it so I know to look out for it. I NEEEEED air conditioning!

tjsmom- it's funny that you say that about Dallas because I have heard it from several people but I never noticed it. We will see this summer.

that's so sad! LOL!
Little areas in every city are like that, even in Okla, San Diego and TN where I lived some people were that way, don't generalize an entire metroplex :hysteric:

that's so sad! LOL!
Little areas in every city are like that, even in Okla, San Diego and TN where I lived some people were that way, don't generalize an entire metroplex :hysteric:

Right, I am genuinely excited about going and living in Dallas this summer and think I will meet tons of awesome people. In fact, I am apartment searching right now! And like I said, I've never noticed it!

We wanna try uptown. I've heard a lot of people say Village is really good and that they are everywhere. The fact that we would like a four bedroom (preferably) could complicate things, though.

I think a big part of it is where you grew up. I was born in the Midwest, went to SMU in Dallas my frosh yr, then transferred back to a Big Ten school. I now live in Chicago. In addition to what the other Chicago ladies said, I personally believe that there is NO BETTERCITY IN THE SUMMER THAN CHICAGO!! You def get 4 distinct seasons (I really missed that in Dallas).

The biggest factor for me is that IMHO you get real, down to earth people in Chicago. Each section of the country has a distinct feel (I've also lived on the East coast). All I can say is it's just different. To me, Big D seemed very superficial (maybe b/c of the school I went to). Everyone was concerned about the car you drove, where in Texas you grew up. It also has a very high divorce rate. I'm sorry, I don't mean to rag on Texas , so I'll just shut up. I honestly don't mean to offend anyone. I'm also at a different stage in my life, but when I graduated from IU, everyone wanted to go to Chicago. It's just a fab city to be young and single in or to raise a family in.
I have to agree that Chicago is the BEST place on earth in summer!! I recently moved to Chicago from California and was lucky enough to choose Wicker Park which is amazing... tons of retaraunts:drool:, bars, art, festivals:happydance:, boutiques, organic grocers, and cute little shops of every kind! Living walking distance from an MJ boutique is wild and Michigan Ave/Gold Coast shopping is designer heaven!!:love: People are super friendly and very nice during the summer but to be honest I find everyone a little cranky since the snow storms started... For me the novelty of snow hasn't worn off yet so my DH and I play, make snow angels, and take pictures like 2 California loons! The neighbors seem quit annoyed that anyone dare to be so happy in the middle of a snow storm...:roflmfao: The one thing I don't like at all about Chicago is that although it is ethnically diverse, it is very separate! Being a California girl to the heart, my friends and I look like a United Colors of Beneton ad so this has been quite a change...:shame:

As for Dallas and Houston, I've spent quite a bit of time in both cities for work and the nicest people I've encountered are on tPF... The TX tPFers are starting to change my mind about Texans but I found it to be not the friendliest place on earth if you're from "elsewhere". I also find Texas to be very ethnically separate which is tough for me... many cultures are represented but there doesn't seem to be much mixing... That said... the home prices are fantastic! I mean ridiculous!! You could actually own a home there and still afford handbags!:tup: DH and I were thinking about vacationing there to give it one last try for exactly that reason!!

Anyway... that's my 2 cents!:flowers:

I lived in Houston for a while. Very humid, horrible traffic.. and some areas get badly flooded. I love it, though! I find Dallas to be more organized (for lack of a better word).

ahh! sep, without sounding weird, can I just say that I LOVE YOU?!? your post made me laugh and got me really excited about my upcoming office visit there! Hopefully, by April, the weather will be nice.

I agree that people in Chicago are soooo nice! I was there this sumemer as well and I was lost in the middle of the city-story of my life. This nice girl in a full business suit noticed me and took me to where I needed to go. She was on her lunch break! Isn't that wild?!?