Anyone familiar with Macy's shoe return policy?

Jun 28, 2006
I recently bought a pair of high heels from Macy's, wore them for about 30 minutes around my house to make sure they fit and are comfortable enough to keep. They gave my feet blisters so I brought them back today only to be told that since they are worn I cannot return them? I'm surprised because the receipt reads that if not completely satisfied you can return for an exchange or refund. I looked at the bottom of the shoe and they show a small but very minimal amount of wear, probably from the hardwood flooring but definitely not the type of wear from having worn the shoes outdoors. Is this customary for Macys?

I recently bought a pair of high heels from Macy's, wore them for about 30 minutes around my house to make sure they fit and are comfortable enough to keep. They gave my feet blisters so I brought them back today only to be told that since they are worn I cannot return them? I'm surprised because the receipt reads that if not completely satisfied you can return for an exchange or refund. I looked at the bottom of the shoe and they show a small but very minimal amount of wear, probably from the hardwood flooring but definitely not the type of wear from having worn the shoes outdoors. Is this customary for Macys?

this is unbelievable! although I have no doubt that they would try to make it stick to you. Please go back again and insist on 100% return of your money.

if the shoes show no wear, you should have no problem returning them. Be very persistent and speak with the management. tell them that the shoes are very uncomfortable and you can not wear them. I actually believe that you don't have to give them a reason, it's your right to return the purchase within 30 days for a full refund (assuming no wear is shown on the sole).

if these shoes do show wear, then you will have a harder time to return them.
But I still believe you can if you insist.

always try to wear your shoes around the house before you go outside in case you'll have to return them.

Also, I recommend you to clean the shoes' sole and make them look like new. again, be persistent and do NOT take NO for an answer.

if nothing works, I would file a dispute with your credit card company (that is if you paid with a credit card. always make your purchases with a credit card). you will be able to get your money that way.

please, keep us posted on the outcome.

i've done the same and was allowed a full refund! granted, i walked out of the store with them and instantly had blisters. i explained it to the guy within an hour and he refunded me.

i think they're telling you that so it doesn't count against their store totals.

i've done the same and was allowed a full refund! granted, i walked out of the store with them and instantly had blisters. i explained it to the guy within an hour and he refunded me.

i think they're telling you that so it doesn't count against their store totals.

or they could do it so that it doesn't count against their commissions.... in the end do you care for their reasons? you shouldn't. they have to deal with it, not you. you should get your $ back.

Wow, definitely try again. I thought too it was 100% satisfaction guaranteed. I bought a pair of flats once and when I returned them they asked me if I had worn them. I said not, they were brand new. They did not even bother to open the box to double check :shrugs:

Wow, definitely try again. I thought too it was 100% satisfaction guaranteed. I bought a pair of flats once and when I returned them they asked me if I had worn them. I said not, they were brand new. They did not even bother to open the box to double check :shrugs:

i've worked shoe departments before in various stores. sometimes employees just don't give a damn and will accept it even against store policy.

Macy's is NOT like Nordstrom. I have returned shoes to Nordstrom with no problem when the shoes were too uncomfortable after wearing them out and about for a day. But, Macy's will never accept shoes for return that have been worn outside.

Wearing shoes on your hardwood floors is probably not a good idea even if you are just testing out the shoe. I have hardwood floors as well, but I stay on the rugs or upstairs carpet if I'm testing out shoes that are purchased from Macy's.

You could try to go to a different Macy's to return the shoes. Don't mention that you wore the shoes on your hardwood floors. If the SA asks, then just say that you tested the shoes while at Macy's and had walked around their tile floors and that's why it looks a bit worn. See what happens.

If you can't return the shoes, then bring the shoes to a cobbler to see if they can stretch the shoes in the areas that gave you a blister. Good luck!