Anyone Ever Have to Wait for Deposit from NAP to Verify CC a/c?

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
I made a purchase from Net-a-Porter last night. It was the first time I've ever purchased anything from them and it was from their UK site (they don't have the item on the US site). I received an email shortly after ordering informing me that they were "performing a routine check to verify your card and address details. While this may result in a slight delay in the delivery of your order. . ." Ok. This made sense -- you can't be too careful. But then this morning, I recd another email from them telling me that they were "unable to verify the cardholder's billing address with the card issuer. For your security, we must now perform an additional verification procedure to confirm card ownership before we can dispatch your order." This involves them making a small deposit (less than 1 GBP) which I need to verify with my bank and reply to their email with the exact amount (in GBP). I checked with my Bank, and they haven't recd any such deposit from them, altho they do see that NAP confirmed my a/c info and billing address (which matches the one provided to NAP, so I don't know what they couldn't confirm it in the first place :confused1:)

Has anyone ever had to do this before? How long does it take? I have no patience when it comes to something I really want -- I've waited so long for this item, and when I'm finally able to purchase it, THIS happens!! I guess the most frustrating thing is that I don't understand why they couldn't confirm it in the first place -- something my bank can't explain either.

NAP says they only have to do this once and then never again, but that doesn't speed THIS purchase along! I timed the purchase so that it would be delivered on my one of my days off. Now with this delay, who knows when it may ship or when it might be delivered (or if someone's going to be around to even sign for it!):pout:

I did call and she said there's nothing she can do, that I just have to wait. She said it could take up to 10 days!! I asked what the problem was and why they couldn't verify the address, since it matches the one on file with my bank and she said she didn't know. When I called my Bank, they didn't understand it either - they kept telling me they couldn't issue a refund since the transaction is still pending and they haven't claimed it as an actual charge yet, so there's nothing to actually refund. I told them what NAP told me - that it's not really a refund, but a small deposit to my a/c, and they said they don't have anything other than my original purchase which is still pending. I know that refunds can take a day or two to post to your a/c, but I don't know if this is the same thing as that. I've just never heard of this before

Ah, in that case, I think you'll be in the clear. Most high end designer stores & boutiques will do this for first time online purchases. These businesses always provide a buffer of time in their estimate - but it usually takes less time. It's to protect both you and the company.

I'm just wondering how long it might take?
It's just been a bad day overall -- I went to bed so excited that I was finally able to order this bag and that it would be here Wed or Thu and now it's delayed -- on top of that, a wallet I bought on stupid-bay, turned out to be fake. I'm just waiting for the third strike!

The max I've heard is 3 days to process and get everything okay-ed on NAP. I'm sorry to hear about your wallet. :hugs:

Don't let that stuff get to you...not worth it. :flowers:

It's not you, it's just that they want the billing address to show up as the exact on that's on your statement.

Check and make sure that your billing address matches the exact address that the credit card company has on file. Check your last statement and look at how they have addressed your bill. I live in a townhouse and one of my credit cards puts the house # first then the rest of my address. Even the usage of the # for an apartment number or the word Apt. will be seen as different and they won't verify your address.

Once that correction is made then you shouldn't have a problem.

Paypal did this to me when I first started using it back in 2004 or so, but I've never heard of any other business doing this. I know that when it happened to me, I hadn't signed up for online banking yet, buy Paypal was e-mailing me within 3 days to let me know that money was there to verify. (and it was something like 5 and 6 cents). We used to pre-authorize $1 on new CC's when I worked at Blockbuster to make sure that the card was valid, but we were able to tell then and there, there wasn't a wait period, kwim? This sounds very strange to me. Good luck OP!

I've had this happen to me before too, especially sometimes when the billing and shipping addresses are diff, then I find it takes them longer whether or not you're a first time buyer