Anyone else dealing with peeling handles off Legacy Molly

BlackApple

Coached Out
O.G.
Mar 16, 2009
I swear I had a feeling this was going to happen sooner than later. I noticed the integrity of the underside of the handles to be a problem when I purchased this bag so I returned it and was offered to exchange it for another one from JAX. No biggie. I swear I have had this bag for less than two months and the handles are peeling in an area where there isn't any contact with something else to cause the peeling.

While I do love this bag I am calling customer service to see what they can do as I don't live near a full price store right now. Had to drive to another state to return the bag and order a new one from JAX. I doubt this can be fixed and moisturizer will not do anything in this case if the actual leather is missing. Is it safe to say they will send the bag in anyway and probably keep it and offer me the 40% letter?

Since Coach's quality is leaving less to be desired in my mind at this point I don't want anymore of their bags. That is why I love my older bags because none of them had this issue. Such a shame as I really do love this bag but I don't want to deal with peeling handles again.

I swear I had a feeling this was going to happen sooner than later. I noticed the integrity of the underside of the handles to be a problem when I purchased this bag so I returned it and was offered to exchange it for another one from JAX. No biggie. I swear I have had this bag for less than two months and the handles are peeling in an area where there isn't any contact with something else to cause the peeling.

While I do love this bag I am calling customer service to see what they can do as I don't live near a full price store right now. Had to drive to another state to return the bag and order a new one from JAX. I doubt this can be fixed and moisturizer will not do anything in this case if the actual leather is missing. Is it safe to say they will send the bag in anyway and probably keep it and offer me the 40% letter?

Since Coach's quality is leaving less to be desired in my mind at this point I don't want anymore of their bags. That is why I love my older bags because none of them had this issue. Such a shame as I really do love this bag but I don't want to deal with peeling handles again.

I don't have this bag but I totally sympathize. I agree their older bags really hold up. Maybe the thinner leather used now - and the massive number of bags they make- add up to less longevity. The SAs talk now like a year of basic use is about all we can expect. In my opinion that is not right!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/legacy-leather-793900-2.html
Post #27 has a picture of one of my bags. Several - Molly, Rory & Archive Satchel have done the same thing. I think they're rubbing on the zipper edge - regardless of whether it's opened or closed - I also have a Candace that's done the same thing - and handles aren't in contact with a zipper.
I don't know if this is what you're referring to when you say "peeling".... but either way, like you say, the colored leather is missing - and conditioning or moisturizing won't cover it.
Nonetheless, I would think Coach will replace or offer you the 40% letter.
I think pre-conditioning, before use, might prevent it from happening - however, I agree it's a quality control issue - and not something that should happen with a new bag.

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/legacy-leather-793900-2.html
Post #27 has a picture of one of my bags. Several - Molly, Rory & Archive Satchel have done the same thing. I think they're rubbing on the zipper edge - regardless of whether it's opened or closed - I also have a Candace that's done the same thing - and handles aren't in contact with a zipper.
I don't know if this is what you're referring to when you say "peeling".... but either way, like you say, the colored leather is missing - and conditioning or moisturizing won't cover it.
Nonetheless, I would think Coach will replace or offer you the 40% letter.
I think pre-conditioning, before use, might prevent it from happening - however, I agree it's a quality control issue - and not something that should happen with a new bag.

Yes this exactly what is happening to mine and I'm not too happy about it. I swear I have a old duffle I bough in 1998 and it's beautiful to this day. No problems. Nothing peeling, no scratches nada.

What are you doing about yours? Yours looks worse than mine. Did you take it back and did they offer you another one or the 40% of letter. Thank you for letting me know I wasn't the only one having issues.

Mine are not peeling, but I see a little wear from them rubbing against the zipper when using the should strap--same as what's in the linked picture. In my opinion this is not a quality control issue, it's just related to the design. I make sure the handles don't lay on the zipper at all.

Mine are not peeling, but I see a little wear from them rubbing against the zipper when using the should strap--same as what's in the linked picture. In my opinion this is not a quality control issue, it's just related to the design. I make sure the handles don't lay on the zipper at all.

This is an eye opening thread. OP said Candace is doing the same though not in contact with zipper. I am really thinking of returning my new unused Candace. Yikes!

I have 2 Mollys. One in black and the other in black cherry. I just looked both over very carefully and find no signs of rubbing/wear at all. I got the black one in November and the black cherry one for Christmas and both have been used a lot since getting them.