Food Anybody else make their own bread?

galligator

Mostly Harmless
Nov 19, 2007
I've been working on learning yeast breads. My kids love darker breads & we're going through a bread book that I have trying out recipes. I'm trying to get the hang of proper kneading time, and particularly flour amounts. Sometimes I get too much flour because it's always an estimate based on humidity.

Anyway, tonight I am trying a recipe for North African Coriander bread. Hope it turns out.

Anyone else bake bread...Love to get ideas, tips, find out any great recipes.

Hey, I usually see you over in shoes. See, I don't just shop for heels.:P

This was a 2-rise bread. I took the loaves out about 40 minutes ago. The whole house smells like citrus and cloves. I actually got a good sandwich texture on this, but the next time I try it I may need to put foil over the top so that the crust will brown more slowly. Now that I have proofing the yeast mastered, I need to figure out the right temperature or other tricks to get the bread to cook all the way through without getting it super crusty.

I love bread, but I'm fussy about it as I have a wheat allergy, which sucks. I buy a lot of organic wholemeal/wholewheat bread, but I also like to make a few loaves of bread a week. It's one of the few times I'll ever use a packet mix in my kitchen - they're just super easy and the results are good. I've tried making my own from scratch, but the extra effort honestly made no difference to the result, (unlike say a packet cake mix which aren't that good IMHO). I use an electronic bread maker, so the kneading is eliminated, though I'm sure those packet mixes would turn out OK in a normal oven.
Anyway, I've added coriander/cilantro to my bread mixes and it has turned out quite well every time. I also like to add things like caraway seeds, linseed and poppy seeds. One of my faves is to add sliced olives with a bit of basil and black pepper. Yum. I do love me some bread.
How did your coriander bread turn out?

I only use a bread machine, but I'd like to do it the full way. I just never have though, partly b/c I normally don't keep bread in the house... I'll eat an entire loaf in a day or two and I live alone- so that is such a problem!

^ I use a bread machine too. I usually use the dough setting and then bake it in the oven, though.

My favorite is a sourdough recipe that uses beer in the starter (it doesn't taste like beer though), so it only takes <2 days as opposed to a whole week.

My sister gave me her old bread machine years ago. I never used it & finally got rid of it the last time I moved.

I am using a Kitchenaid stand mixer with the dough hook for kneading. (I would get popeye arms if I did all that kneading by hand).

And I do need to get an oven thermometer. This is a new house & I am not sure if the oven runs a little off on temp, I just need to run & add this to a shopping list or I will just forget to look when I am at the store.

And it did turn out to be very tasty. I am also liking the idea of trying some whole grain breads without any preservatives.

You will get used to how the dough should feel when there is enough flour. I don't like too much flour because it does seem to dry the bread. As long as the dough doesn't stick completely to your fingers when you are done kneeding then it should be ok. After the first rise it will be less sticky. I also like the rapid rise yeast for when I am in a hurry. Bread freezes really well as long as it is completely cooled before freezing.

I'm not very good at making "regular" bread, but I DO make a mean banana nut bread. I make it if we have some bananas that are starting to go bad...it's very good, and makes the house smell great!

It's weird. People in Hawaii don't really bake bread. It's just not part of our culture (I'm speaking in general terms). We're BIG on white rice here, but not so much on making home made bread. The closest we usually get to bread is when it's already made and given to us at a restaurant lol.

We do have a great bread store called Great Harvest though where they sell fresh baked bread. My best friend used to work there. :biggrin: