Any thoughts on how the Covid-19 is affecting the bag productions and offers?

Perhaps I misunderstand you,but at least I hope I do, from my point of view, if my home store all of the sudden had a tremendous influx of stock because there was less of the virus and people were more apt to spend money... I think I'd go back to LV and support the company who's now making hand sanitizer instead of they're highly profitable perfume and cosmetics. I doubt I'd ever step foot in Hermes again. I'm probably not understanding what you're saying so I apologize in advance.
You’ve definitely misunderstood me. (Though, if you know you are, you Although I think what LVMH is doing is great, they haven’t said anything about not producing leather goods? At least I haven’t heard anything about that, please correct me if i’m wrong. That’s two different issues, one is about what companies are doing to help in a time of crisis, the other is about trying to keep regular operations still somewhat going. I doubt production to delivery is so instant that stock made immediately becomes stock delivered to stores. Stores and production will have to coordinate to send goods to places it will move, in an attempt to keep some of its operations going. I’ve not been keeping up but i’m hoping that Hermès won’t be forcing its workers to go in in areas where it’s not safe to, but I doubt it makes its own perfumes to be doing the same thing LV does. I don’t reasonably expect every company to be capable of helping in this kind of crisis. Though perhaps we will be seeing more companies step up in more interesting ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: H_LOv3_XOXO
An SA I am friendly with said Hermes will pay them salary while the stores are closed and that Hermes is taking ‘good care of them.’ I assume that means no commissions, and I don’t know what portion of SA’s income that is. I have a large order to pick up (bags, scarves, etc), that I just missed the opportunity on, but honestly, I just hope everyone makes it through this time safe and sound. Who cares about bags.

An SA I am friendly with said Hermes will pay them salary while the stores are closed and that Hermes is taking ‘good care of them.’ I assume that means no commissions, and I don’t know what portion of SA’s income that is. I have a large order to pick up (bags, scarves, etc), that I just missed the opportunity on, but honestly, I just hope everyone makes it through this time safe and sound. Who cares about bags.

FWIW I remember reading someone on this forum saying that the commission / additional pay is a small portion. I assume of course that if they are super good the additional pay can go up to a good amount on top of the base, but at least it sounded like the base salary is decent.

ETA: and I believe someone said some places like Europe don’t even do commission (unlike the US)

I think the ateliers are currently closed, and if not, they're probably running a reduced production, since most of their boutiques are currently closed, apart from China, where some have reopened if I'm not mistaken?

As far as I know (talking about the fashion industry), in Italy all factories, ateliers are either shut down completely for the quarantine period or are open with a reduced working hour production.

PARIS, March 17 (Reuters) - Hermes, the French luxury goods group known for its pricy Birkin handbags, will close almost all its production sites in France until March 30 amid an unprecedented lockdown to fight the coronavirus outbreak, AFP reported on Tuesday.

Hermes’ plant closures will affect most of its 42 sites in France except for a factory that produces perfumes and which could be used to manufacture hand sanitiser gels instead, AFP said, citing an internal memo sent to employees.

Hermes did not respond to requests for comment.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-hermes/birkin-maker-hermes-to-close-production-sites-in-france-report-idUKL8N2BA8KP

Hermès has just announced that its U.S. Distribution Center will be closed until further notice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 3.31.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 3.31.50 PM.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,083
From Hermes.com:

For the safety and well-being of all, our Hermes stores and Distribution center in the US are closed until further notice. We are committed to providing exceptional service to our customers. You may continue to place your orders online during this time period. Please note, orders placed after 2 pm EST, Friday, March 20th will ship once we reopen. For information on our return policy, please visit the returns and exchanges section of our FAQ.

I'm so much more worried about my family, friends, the economy and so on...

I absolutely second your worries, material goods like Hermes or any other, are not important at all at the moment. I made it back in Germany just in time, before Italy declared its lockdown and I'm worried about my nephew who lives in Milan and the rest of my relatives in the south of Italy...

No new updates, but I wanted to post Hermes’ return policy:

Update as of 3/20/2020 : In light of our distribution center closure and for the security of your shipments, we have temporarily disabled the return function online. To accommodate our customers, we have extended the return window for orders placed between February 20th and March 20th from thirty (30) days to ninety (90) days from the delivery date. All other policies found below remain applicable.

I have an item to return (not the one in my post #68). No rush. Health and safety come first!