Any Help Appreciated...

heathchamp84

Feb 8, 2009
Hello - I'm new to tPF (read around a little) and am nearly as green regarding the forum as I am regarding the fabulous Rebecca Minkoff. In fact, I've never bought a 'real' bag and would like a little help finding the perfect one because I'm going to London in March and everything must be absolutely perfect for the trip since I'm hoping to have some kind of life-saving/life-altering experience. You know, that old story... Anyway, I'm in love with the Nikki or Mini Nikki - especially the peacock, red(s), and natural colors (in that order), but because I'm a college student on minimal income, I need to find a great deal and do it soon (like the 200's for a good one)! I've lurked a lot of the threads and traced to sites like Petulia, ecrater, and even Gilt, but let's be real - I'm no expert and you all obviously are. Plus, I have a feeling this will take some time. In return, I can offer some services. As a student, I have free access to the internet 24/7 (minus a handful of work hours), so I can help watch bidding or help search, etc. Honestly, even if no one helps, I'm already grateful for the amazing advice and knowledge that you've poured into this forum and definitely would like to be an active/involved member. Thank you! ~Heather

^^ Welcome! ebay is your best bet.. if you are looking in the $200 rangee. I would suggest something in the Deep Red color. I believe a Nikki was just listed and it's beautiful! As for Peacock I highly doubt you will be able to find something that discounted since it was just released... however there are plenty of good bags out there to be found!

I'll do some looking around and post back- We'll get you taken care of!!

PLEASE NOTE: I am going to move this thread into the "shopping" section since that is really what the point of this post is about. I just didn't want you to wonder why it is moved;)

You are going to love a Nikki! Don't worry about the size of a regular Nikki, I was worried it would be too big, but it slouches and is The Ideal Hobo, if you ask me. Good luck finding your first RM bag:smile:

Awesome that you got a coupon code. Sometimes I find them but then at checkout it says that it's not valid on RM bags. I got lucky with my Nikki and a code, I had never heard about coupon codes before...

You should for sure keep constant watch on ebay, ecrater and bonazle. Those would be your best bets for finding something in that price range.

I also think the nikki would be perfect for travel. It sits and stays very nicely on the shoulder. I know when I travel I want my hands free.

I will keep an eye out!

Welcome!! Ecrater and Ebay will probably be your best bets for that price. Even retailers with codes really don't make the bags that low. More like in the $350's range. Some ecrater sellers will accept payment plans if you just email them and ask, you may be surprised. I would suggest a deep red nikki or a wine nikki (but you will not find a wine bag lower than $400, they are constantly lusted after). Littlerock is right about peacock. It is a newer color and will also not be offered that low. Black colors are also good starters. Everyone needs that basic black bag, right. I'll keep a check too and we'll find you the right bag.

Something else to think about, and I know it's not a Nikki, but a Morning After Clutch is really great for travel b/c you can wear it cross body and be hands free, plus you'd be surprised at how much it can hold. I carry in mine my iphone, camera, makeup bag and Hayden Harnett clutch wallet on a regular basis and have room to spare. Plus if you get one w/ the RM signature hardware you can adjust the strap to be a cute shoulder bag. Anyway, I'm a major Nikki lover but just wanted to bring up the MAC too! GL!

Thank you everybody! Great advice. It's so funny - I've never heard of ecrater or bonazle until today... or pretty much anything other than ebay or amazon.

I do like the Nikki because it seems travel friendly, but I've also looked at the MAC, saragleave. Doth mine eyes deceive me? I had thought the Nikki had a strap that could be adjusted, too (no really, I need new glasses - do they deceive me?). Actually, I started with the MAC because it seemed so practical, but there's just something about the Nikki....

Also, thanks for the lowdown on the peacock - I hadn't really paid attn and thought all the greeny colors were some form of peacock, but now realize they're not. Silly really, cuz I totally got that there were different reds. I really just like the greenish colors - they're rather fresh. Don't see a lot of people carrying seafoam bags nowadays.

Nikkis are great bags, big enough to hold everything you could ever need and comfortable, perfectly slouchy, and beautiful! From experience, looking for a good price in anything peacock will be a challenge.

I don't suggest the mini nikki for travel as the space is limited. I'll keep my eye out for you and let you know what I find!

I do like the Nikki because it seems travel friendly, but I've also looked at the MAC, saragleave. Doth mine eyes deceive me? I had thought the Nikki had a strap that could be adjusted, too (no really, I need new glasses - do they deceive me?). Actually, I started with the MAC because it seemed so practical, but there's just something about the Nikki....

No, the Nikki's strap is not adjustable, but it is a great bag and can hold a ton!

the nikki is a gorgeous bag! it seems like a great choice. i think that your best bet would either be ebay or sometimes rm does sales with hautelook and gilt groupe where you can get amazing deals on her bags. good luck finding one!

I think MAC (clutch) would be a good fit for traveling... it will also fit your budget! Nikki ususally goes for $400 + I believe...Do you mind getting a used bag? if not, I will keep my eye on one for you.