Another way to determine a fake Mark Jacobs Multipocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayr126

Jul 16, 2007
I don't know if this is something everyone already knows but on EBAY auctions for Marc Jacobs Multipocket bags I have asked numerous times about the handle ring at the base of the strap and determined fraud. I have owned a few MP's and the ring at the base of the strap stays stationary, it doesn't move at all. The strap moves back and forth on the ring but the ring doesn't turn. I just asked the seller of auction

Item number: 220109105974
rtCurve.gif
and her answer first was that it turns but doesn't spin. I wrote back to her telling her that I didn't understand her answer as I think turn and spin mean the same thing and she said it moves around but not easily. Am I wrong or is this another way to spot fraud? I have to add that this particular bag from the photos looks authentic and it has a Neiman Marcus tag hanging from it but the handle issue would turn me off.

Not necessarily true.
My MJ brick red multipocket which was purchased from Bloomingdale's a few years back and over time had a problem with wear where the rings were attached to the bag. You are right: they should not move and on brand new bags they DON'T move, but over time the leather which attached the rings to the bag started to crack a little. It started on one side, then it happened on the other. On one side the ring came loose and the "pin" which holds the ring stationary came out and the ring would turn around. There is a space where the ring is not a fully complete circle- that's where the pin is which is hidden under the leather on the bag. When it comes loose, the pin falls out, and the ring moves. I ended up sending the bag to MJ thru Bloomingdale's and although it took nearly 3 months to get back, they replaced the missing pin, so both rings are "locked" again, and they fixed the leather so it looks brand new.

I have noticed on eBay a few MJ bags which the honest seller may disclose "pin from ring is missing and ring spinds around, and needs to be fixed". So, in some cases it may be from wear, but just wanted to let you know that if the rings move, it does not necessarily mean in all cases that the bag is fake.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.