another thread on people carrying fakes.

^I had two Vera Wangs that I got more compliments on than my coaches or kate spades; they actually wore really well; I gave them to my sister, who's also into bags, because I needed to make room, and the one was a little small for me, but good for her since she doesn't have kids yet.
And I know people feel that cheap bags wear out more quickly, and yes they do, but so do the fakes. My impression that people who buy fakes aren't concerned re: durability; I still am amazed that they don't just buy a bag from Kohls, etc rather than a fake. I guess they really must just want to advertise "hey I buy designer" rather than have a nice looking bag. I have yet to see a fake that looked like anything I would want to wear or even be near!

Don't get me started with my Old Navy bag!!! About 5 years ago I bought a bag at Old Navy that even though is not a designer blah blah it gets great reviews from everyone!

Its a red knit with leather handles and trim. My aunt loved it so much I bought her a white version of it.

Everyone always asks "who" made it! When I say Old Navy they're floored!

So the heck with fakes! You can get a bag at Target, Kohls, etc!

Everyone that I know who has a fake will say something to the effect of "you can't tell the difference" and they honestly believe that. So the rationale is why pay $400 for real Coach when I can buy a fake for $30 at a purse party, after all no one can tell it is not real and I saved $370.

But even if you are carrying a fake or real, there is no excuse for carrying a dirty broken down purse. I have a friend who has a shoe fetish and buys a ridiculous amount of shoes, yet carries the same pleather bag for the past 2 years...drives me insane!!!

I don't carry fake Coach bags simply becuase a real one doesn't cost too much more IMHO. The only bags I don't buy is LV becuase there are simply too many fakes out there. Everyone in the street has a LV and I bet a majority of them are fakes.

I used to buy branded bags lookalike. Eg I bought a Soho hobo look alike. But it didn't even last for 1 month and the buckle fell off. I was just annoyed because it costs about 1/4 of a real leather coach hobo and it's not even real leather! That's when I stopped buying such bags and discovered the wonderful world of Coach thru eBay. The non leather branded bags lookalike aren't cheap and they just aren't worth my money and storage space.

Buying a real Coach gives me the insurance that I can pull it out from my wardrobe 5 years on and it will still be good as new. :smile:)

I can understand the idea of not being able (or just not wanting) to spend the money on Coach but really wanting to have the designer label. While it makes me cringe, I get it.

How about people who spend upwards of $90 on fakes? (My mother was guilty of this!) I pointed out to her that she could spend a few more dollars and get something genuine that will actually last more than 3 months and not be completely fugly.

Seriously though, have you ever seen a fake that a counterfeiter took a few liberties with? My mom used to own a fake signature Carly with Coach embroidered on the side with gold thread in huge letters in italicized Times New Roman font. I kid you not, it looked exactly like this: COACH

:\ I think it's ignorance, TBH. I saw a girl at school carrying a Goach! Coach-styled letters but as Gs!! And another girl carrying a LV monogram bag that didn't even get the print right at all- it had shapes that didn't exist!

I've been approached by several people with my bag saying "That is the best knock-off Coach I have ever seen." I am insulted because it is an actual Coach I bought from the Coach store!!

Now that's just rude! :nogood:

There's certainly nothing shameful about carrying a modest, non-designer bag. Counterfeit bags are tacky, though.

most of the people where i live have fakes from the flea market.

i've just recently gotten my first coach purses (from coach outlets and dillards), and i'm just not in to the brown 'c' signature pieces. while i have gotten compliments on my bags from a few people, it's obvious around here that people feel like if you don't have 'C' plastered all over your brown canvas bag then it isn't a coach bag. there is a lot more emphasis on carrying a name even if the name is fake around here.

whew i really slammed my 'around here' ! :smile:

I seriously don't think I have ever seen a good fake Coach. They are all glaringly bad! I mean I guess to an "untrained" eye they may look real but I can't see how. I tend to stay away from siggy's for the exact Foach reason. When people tell me my purse is cute and THEN they see it's a Coach when they look closer they are like "Oh and it's Caoch too...cuuuute". I never get asked if it's real at that point because if they look close enough to see the Coach symbol on it then they are looking close enough to see that it's a quality piece. I have stayed away from LV because fake ones are sometimes soooooo close to the real thing that it's scary. And people just assume it's fake. That is why I will only by the (on my wishlist) the personalized (with initials) Speedy. I don't think counterfeiters have gotten that good as to hand paint/personalize their fakes yet so that one people will know is real. I know it's not about what others think but I don't want to carry a purse that someone even thinks may be fake let alone everyone thinking it's fake.

Everyone that I know who has a fake will say something to the effect of "you can't tell the difference" and they honestly believe that. So the rationale is why pay $400 for real Coach when I can buy a fake for $30 at a purse party, after all no one can tell it is not real and I saved $370.

But even if you are carrying a fake or real, there is no excuse for carrying a dirty broken down purse. I have a friend who has a shoe fetish and buys a ridiculous amount of shoes, yet carries the same pleather bag for the past 2 years...drives me insane!!!

:amuse: I've heard that before, too. "You can't tell the difference!" Yeah, well I just did, and I'm certainly no expert.

Hmm... fakes vs. real. Well, I suppose I could find a faux leather Madison Maggie somewhere, pay let's say $100 instead of $350, and walk away smirking, until the threads unraveled and I was out $100 and standing there with a raggedy purse.

Instead, what I did was buy a genuine Coach Madison Maggie -- a second one in a different color because I loved the first so much -- and let it sit in the dustbag for a few months until fall, eagerly waiting for the cooler temperatures. I carried it for about a month when I noticed that threads were popping out in one spot. I took it to the Coach store where I bought it, where they asked for my name and phone number, I asked for a replacement, one was ordered, the replacement arrived, and I swapped the defective bag for a new one. The SA and I exchanged pleasantries and I walked out of the store smiling.

I bought my first Coach bag, and then another, and then another and so on, because overall I love their styles and I think the quality is good, and when it hasn't been good, they were glad to work on a solution with me so that I would walk out of that store a happy customer, a customer who returns again and again to feed her bags and accessories sickness! :nuts::happydance:

:amuse: I've heard that before, too. "You can't tell the difference!" Yeah, well I just did, and I'm certainly no expert.

Hmm... fakes vs. real. Well, I suppose I could find a faux leather Madison Maggie somewhere, pay let's say $100 instead of $350, and walk away smirking, until the threads unraveled and I was out $100 and standing there with a raggedy purse.

Instead, what I did was buy a genuine Coach Madison Maggie -- a second one in a different color because I loved the first so much -- and let it sit in the dustbag for a few months until fall, eagerly waiting for the cooler temperatures. I carried it for about a month when I noticed that threads were popping out in one spot. I took it to the Coach store where I bought it, where they asked for my name and phone number, I asked for a replacement, one was ordered, the replacement arrived, and I swapped the defective bag for a new one. The SA and I exchanged pleasantries and I walked out of the store smiling.

I bought my first Coach bag, and then another, and then another and so on, because overall I love their styles and I think the quality is good, and when it hasn't been good, they were glad to work on a solution with me so that I would walk out of that store a happy customer, a customer who returns again and again to feed her bags and accessories sickness! :nuts::happydance:

You can totally tell the difference. All the blogs say you can if you are an avid coach shopper and spend a lot of time around the bags. I spot fakes all the time. Big hint is the hardware.