Ann's Fab Finds- Good Transaction But HELP- MothBall Smell??!!

PikaboICU

Peek-A-Boo I see you
Feb 16, 2015
I just received my gorgeous 07 Violet Chevre wallet from AFF and it is gor-ge-ous!
Just like new, not a fingerprint on her, in the dust-bag & all!
I'm in love :cloud9: Now if I could just find an 07 City in Violet I could die happy.. :P
Will definitely shop from Ann's again.

However, there is some bad news...
It's no fault of Ann's but it seems the owner must have stored the wallet with MOTHBALLS!!!:shocked:
This really should be criminal! Any Bal lover knows the heavenly scent of the leather. :tender:
They have an immediately recognizable smell and it is wonderful- I can smell Balenciaga faintly,,,,,just a hint of it,, beneath the STRONG stench of mothballs! YUCK!

So ladies, my Balenciaga goddesses of wisdom; will I ever get the yummy scent back? I'm airing the wallet out- and hoping beyond hope the mothball will fade & the original scent will once again prevail.
Is this possible? Is there any hope? :cry: Is there anything else I can do other than just airing her out?

Thank you for letting me cry on your forum. :heart:

A photo of my "Precious"

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 252
I just received my gorgeous 07 Violet Chevre wallet from AFF and it is gor-ge-ous!
Just like new, not a fingerprint on her, in the dust-bag & all!
I'm in love :cloud9: Now if I could just find an 07 City in Violet I could die happy.. :P
Will definitely shop from Ann's again.

However, there is some bad news...
It's no fault of Ann's but it seems the owner must have stored the wallet with MOTHBALLS!!!:shocked:
This really should be criminal! Any Bal lover knows the heavenly scent of the leather. :tender:
They have an immediately recognizable smell and it is wonderful- I can smell Balenciaga faintly,,,,,just a hint of it,, beneath the STRONG stench of mothballs! YUCK!

So ladies, my Balenciaga goddesses of wisdom; will I ever get the yummy scent back? I'm airing the wallet out- and hoping beyond hope the mothball will fade & the original scent will once again prevail.
Is this possible? Is there any hope? :cry: Is there anything else I can do other than just airing her out?

Thank you for letting me cry on your forum. :heart:

A photo of my "Precious"

Good Evening PikaboICU, oh gosh lovely, that's such a shame. I wish I could give some reassurance as to how you can get the odor out of the wallet. I adore the color. Congrats lovely on your new piece. Hang in there sweetheart I am sure airing it out is the best thing. :hugs::tup:

Good Evening PikaboICU, oh gosh lovely, that's such a shame. I wish I could give some reassurance as to how you can get the odor out of the wallet. I adore the color. Congrats lovely on your new piece. Hang in there sweetheart I am sure airing it out is the best thing. :hugs::tup:

Thank you so much Fally! :hugs: You're a jewel.

It's a little better already and it's only been 2 days so perhaps there's hope.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Beautiful wallet, 07 Violet is a gorgeous Bal color! Congrats on a great find!

There are a few threads on removing odors from leather products in the Handbag Care & Maintenance and ebay forums here. Here are a couple:

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbag-care-and-maintenance/how-to-get-a-smell-out-of-a-629710.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbag-care-and-maintenance/moth-ball-smell-865271.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/my-new-bag-stinks-581122.html

Good luck!

Thank you VERY much! :flowers: That's exactly what I needed, you're a jewel.
Oh yes, she's a beauty!

Looks like I have some reading to do! :smile:
These appear to be right on point- I really appreciate you taking the time to gather up those links!
Thanks again.. :heart:

UPDATE:
I'm updating my own thread - just in case anyone else has an issue with mothball smell & is curious to know if the original yummy Balenciaga scent can be regained.

In my case the odor of mothballs was strong but I could still detect the Bal leather just beneath the surface of the chemical mothballs.
I carefully placed folded tissue paper between each section of the wallet and crumpled some to put in the coin pocket. Both to open the surfaces up and because tissue paper absorbs odors.
I put the tissued wallet on a shelf, in the closet and waited, it's been 2-3 weeks and.......

TA-DA!
I'm thrilled to report I can't even detect any mothballs and the original Balenciaga leather scent is back! WOOT! :yahoo:

Sooo Fresh Air & Time! Kills mothball odor and YES, the sweet scent of Bal leather can return! :tup:
Lastly, I was extremely happy with my purchase from Ann's Fabulous Finds and I would definitely shop there again!!