An article against men wearing Bs

This article, to me, is a reflection of an outdated mindset battling against a shifting paradigm. I am sure that the author of that post was not the only one who rolls their eyes at images of what, to them, is a representation of anarchy, entropy, and in more extreme cases, the degeneration of humanity and morality. I won't go there but these kind of thoughts hit close to home, as I've heard them many a time, and more than once from my own grandmother.

Humans had spent a good few centuries building their own prisons. In these prisons, everything had a convenient sorting box, everyone had a role, and rules and norms were the shackles and fortresses. Regrettable as it is, it is an essential part of human development. "The nail that sticks out will be hammered in," an old Japanese saying goes. "Is it really so hard to just be normal? Why can you not just live like everybody else and conform?", the subconscious goes, having witnessed a broken rule, a misplaced label. While these days we roll our eyes and write articles about how annoyed we are that someone dared to break a gender stereotype, in older times we'd rush into that someone's home with weapons, or have them burned at the stake.

All this might seem very serious and severe given the topic of fashion and handbags, but such articles and opinions are only the tip of an iceberg of how human psychology struggles with all its might to remain in its comfort zone, even if it may be a prison. And it manifests itself more than you may think, even though we may only raise the issue when the odd article turns up, when someone particularly vocal decides to voice their opinion somewhere in a dark corner of the internet.

One rolling their eyes at men adopting traditionally 'feminine' styles, blurring the gender boundaries is a real thing, but its getting old fast. Paradigms shift faster than we think - I'm already seeing signs of building new fortresses where old ones have fallen: scoffing at a woman who wants to have children and be a housewife, because that's against the new 'norm' of an 'emancipated' woman who should be able to work three jobs while raising her children.

Before I get too deep into the philosophy bunny burrow, I'll stop at that. I personally love guys who are fashionable. Who wear makeup. Who know their perfume. Its oh so sexy! Of course, some guys may not be able to pull off a birkin - just like many women may not be! A handbag - even one of outstanding quality like an Hermès handbag - is an extension of one's style, not an element of style attached to a blank canvas.

Its great that we are starting to get rid of gender labels in fashion - just try not to build a new Azkaban prison where the previous one was demolished.

Peace

Very eloquently argued, I agree wholeheartedly. :smile:

View attachment 3441049

Marc Jacobs looks great when he carries his Birkins.

The author is a snob of the worst kind. How dare someone carry a Birkin on public transit?
Really? Remember this pic of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy?

She looks so chic!
It seems that the author very conveniently forgot what Ms Birkin herself said

“There’s no fun in a bag if it’s not kicked around, so that it looks as if the cat’s been sitting on it – and it usually has. The cat may even be in it...I keep saying to Hermès to make it out of plastic or cardboard, then it wouldn’t be so heavy. But if people want to go for the real thing, fine. If they go for copies, that’s fine too. I really don’t think it matters...”

But I suppose Ms Birkin is not in the - what was it? - the 'very small elite circle of wealthy ladies' destined to carry the Birkin properly - according to the author.

Now that I've gotten the serious talking out of the way, I can laugh about this :lol:

Well..I feel that it's the opinion of "that" person and you know what they say about opinions...everyone's got their own. As for me...I wipe my a** with peoples opinions. I wear what makes me happy and truth be told..it sounds like he's just a bit jealous and bitter...then again...that's my opinion. (LOL)

Well..I feel that it's the opinion of "that" person and you know what they say about opinions...everyone's got their own. As for me...I wipe my a** with peoples opinions. I wear what makes me happy and truth be told..it sounds like he's just a bit jealous and bitter...then again...that's my opinion. (LOL)

amen.gif

Reactions: Hermes Only
After reading this article I immediately started thinking about how my grandmother told me that in her youth women were not supposed to wear pants. It wasn't considered proper and the women who did wear pants always got long looks. We all know Coco Chanel dressed in "menswear" that she styled to her own liking. Personally I've bought a cashmere silk shawl and cufflings designed for men at H.com.

I love seeing a man with a HAC/large birkin and a nice watch. It's a matter of style and taste. A few men here on tPF also manage imo to carry a Kelly, but being conservative, when it comes to the K it has to do with the proportions of the guy and his personal style. The Kelly is definitely more difficult for a guy to master.

I've seen many men from the forum IRL who absolutely rock a Birkin or HAC. Hermes Only immediately pops in my head as someone who is made for a Birkin, Ferrip, too!

As bedhead so aptly reminds us, to Hell with the haters.
EtoupeB... Thanks for the shout out.. Appreciate it. :wave::hugs:

Seems like this writer is fed up with not being offered a Birkin at his local Hermes store hehehe!![emoji23][emoji23]
My Thoughts Exactly.. You got the words right out of my mouth.. Good one:tup:;)

I have just read this interesting thread and what a condescending and negative article that is.. :wtf:

All I'm going to say is that, To each his/her own. Any Bags whether it's from Hermes Birkin, Kelly to Vuitton, Prada, Gucci or Coach is to me, is not gender specific. I'm absolutely and genuinely Proud, as a 48 year old Male to carry Birkins AND Kelly (40cm) and other "Universal" Gender Friendly Bags. It's my personal choice and I'm going to ROCK IT without conviction or shame... And No One will ever shame, educate or bully US boys (or girls) from carrying such Bags or any bags for that matter ... Can I get an Amen?..!

Oh..I have one thing to say.."Haters can Hate, So Bring it, Hunty.. I have more coming for you to Hate on":facepalm:

Also, I question the writers Integrity :blah:and "knowledge" about "Fashion"....with the explosion of Today's Unisex and Universal Accessories that Gucci's Alessandro Michelle introduced a few seasons ago..IF he is In-The-Know about Today's "Fashion":rolleyes: ...THIS should NOT be an issue. :panic:

To be honest I'm just speechless after reading the article. I can't believe that this guy/girl exist especially in NYC and able to post this "ugly" article.

People can dress and carry whatever they want. If it does not fall in your comfort zone, just close your eyes and move on, keep walking and shut your mouth.

I feel bad for his/her gay brother to have such a judgmental sibling like you!!

You find blinkered people like this everywhere. My office suffered reverse prejudice of similar nature for 5 years when we employed a gay staff who openly declared that since gays were more talented and stylish than mere straight men and women, he should be appreciated more for doing less and his fashion opinions should never be questioned. He never understood that what made us cringe wasn't the $ value of the expensive bag/shoes/clothing he was flaunting, but his sheer inability to make them look good on him.

I love it when men use HAC and Birkins. If they can pull off a K, more power to them. What's important is that they are comfortable carrying the bag, and not the bag looms larger than them and is obviously an unwieldy trophy. DH and I just returned from a holiday where we shared transport with a young man carrying his girlfriend's tiny hot pink YSL handbag. I think it bothered us more that the bag was possibly fake, and not that it was lovingly clutched by a strapping guy.

Reactions: PJW5813