Amazon requesting govt ID for refund

scarlet555

O.G.
Apr 9, 2009
Has anyone ran into this issue? I made a return and received a refund for 2 of the 3 items and when I called Amazon, they requested a government ID or else they would NOT investigate, nor would I get a refund. They sent an email link and when I requested why they wanted my gov’t ID amazon said I had some abnormal activity and said that was all they were going to say and hung up. Wish they would ask for gov’t ID upfront as part of their refund policy, I would NEVER have purchased anything from them, lol. Talking to my cc company. What have you done ?

yes they have the merchandise i returned, yes they said they would not refund it unless I showed my ID, no they did not request for ID prior to purchase. Yes, ID are asked (at times ) when returning items at a store, but online? Via a link? When you already refunded 2 of the 3 items I returned.

Yes, Amazon may request your ID. It depends on the item, the amount, and your Amazon account status.

Email & text scam artists will also use the request to trick people. Remember to Google then log in through Amazon's official website. I would not recommend logging in through a text or an emailed link. If you think your account has been compromised, call Amazon's official number and review your account activity: log in locations, personal information, purchases & returns, payment methods, subscriptions. *If your account was compromised, call your bank and ask them for next steps to protect yourself.

If the request is legitimate, you may need to provide your ID for the refund based only on what you've shared here (your account was flagged for what they determine to be possible return fraud).

From some light research on the internet, instead of providing an ID some people have had luck filing a claim with the BBB to get a refund. Others have filed chargebacks with their bank or card issuer.

Stay safe and I hope everything turns out well. :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aurelian
It happened to me about 3 years ago -- they requested my drivers license or whatever I had to issue a refund for something. I am not a regular Amazon shopper or returner, and they thought my account had been hacked. I believe this was before 2FA was mandatory so they needed to be sure I was the account holder before I could be refunded. I HATED to give them my drivers license but the links were legit and it worked out ok. I inquired several times before giving them my ID (to see if I got back legit Amazon replies). Don't just give the info over, be sure. But yeah, companies can do this in instances of suspected fraud and too many returns.