Am I too poor for Hèrmes?

I am working class and own 5 Birkins (2 of them are Special Order) 4 Kellys and 3 Constance, all purchased from the boutique. I’m am loyal to my SA and the brand, that’s why my offers keep on coming in. If you are worried about “wealth”, then you are already at a disadvantage. Be nice and courteous, it goes a long way.
Thanks. I certainly try my best to be kind and courteous to all wherever I go. It’s not that I’m worried about wealth - I just feel like it’s a brand for the extremely wealthy. I wanted some advice from Hèrmes shoppers. Congrats on your collection!

I don't know your current age, OP, but my two cents:

Buy only what you like. I think showing genuine interest in the house and what they offer will get you much farther than buying things left and right in the hopes of being offered a kelly or birkin. Some people spend at least $5k or $10k before they are offered a bag. Others only buy three scarves and then get an offer. Some people say certain items don't count toward the quota, like leather goods (bags and wallets). Obviously, it would be pushy of you to ask a salesperson how you can be considered for a kelly/birkin.

Another reason to buy what you like: Hermes return policy is 14 days and store credit, or at least in the US. Start with a twilly or twillon to familarize yourself with the brand.

As for bags, my dream bag is actually the cinhetic (box) bag. I think what sets Hermes apart is their use of clear/pure colors. Sure there are some muted colors thrown in there, but not many luxury brands are producing vivid colors for bags and wallets. Chanel produces some bright colors but I don't find them as showstopping as Hermes... You really have to see it in person to fully appreciate the colors.
I’m 30. Thanks for your advice! I’ve never even entered Hèrmes... I’ll have to do so and check out the colours.

Yikes... I wonder if drake has purchased all the available Birkins in my city? Lol
I can only speak from personal experience at my home store at Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Unless you are famous or a local established client, you will most likely not be offered a Birkin, Kelly or Constance. Maybe other stores are more generous with their offers, but I have seen so many people come and ask any SA for a B/K/C and be told that there are none. I have seen the same in Ala Moana in Honolulu. People will come into the store, approach any SA in the store and ask to see a B/K/C. Wealth is not the issue, if you are unknown to the store, you most likely will be out of luck.
s.

I am working class and own 5 Birkins (2 of them are Special Order) 4 Kellys and 3 Constance, all purchased from the boutique. I’m am loyal to my SA and the brand, that’s why my offers keep on coming in. If you are worried about “wealth”, then you are already at a disadvantage. Be nice and courteous, it goes a long way.
This! +1

I think if you have enough disposable income to buy 3 birkins for example, then you have enough to buy a birkin. Most stores (not all) require you to spend Some before you become offered a quota bag. Most people say that number is along the lines of 1:1 ... sometimes higher or lowers depending on bag specs. So if you are comfortable buying some things you actually like at the store you are well on your way. Be nice, respectful and curteous,. That will get you a looong way. Find Someome you vibe with and that’s alll that matters
This mantra has worked for me from day one at H....Find Someome you vibe with and that’s all that matters

This mantra has worked for me from day one at H....Find Someome you vibe with and that’s all that matters
Same! I had a SA that was nice and kind but we didn’t have that extra connection. I had to spend WAY more before being offered a bag. I found my SA who I really connect with. She does her best for me and always considers me for good stuff, of course I spend too, but I would be buying that stuff anyway because I love it! It just makes the whole experience so great!

Same! I had a SA that was nice and kind but we didn’t have that extra connection. I had to spend WAY more before being offered a bag. I found my SA who I really connect with. She does her best for me and always considers me for good stuff, of course I spend too, but I would be buying that stuff anyway because I love it! It just makes the whole experience so great!
I totally agree with you. I have a new SA from last year and I swear...we are always on a same wavelength. It's always good to know them too and not just the other way around. Turns out we use to live few houses apart about a decade ago. We talk about food,bling,makeup...you name it! She just know me so well and try to get only "hard to come by bags" for me.

I totally agree with you. I have a new SA from last year and I swear...we are always on a same wavelength. It's always good to know them too and not just the other way around. Turns out we use to live few houses apart about a decade ago. We talk about food,bling,makeup...you name it! She just know me so well and try to get only "hard to come by bags" for me.
This! 100% it’s the same for me. I think a lot of people forget that SA’s are people too - Great people if you find the right one! I actually look forward to coming in just to talk to her

Honest advice: Work your tail end off, save up everything you can and go to the secondhand market. I detest the Hermes game, personally, if for no one other reason that every store has their own rules to the game and you never know it. You can walk into one store with no purchase history and be laughed out. You can walk into another, mention the word Birkin and have one dropped at your feet.
I ended up doing that for my first Birkin.

Last edited:
You may also want to post in the Toronto thread under Hermes Shopping. You will definitely need to buy other items to get a Birkin but in Toronto you also are going to pay C$14-17k the bag from a reputable reseller so you might as well spend the difference on the things you like at Hermes.

Reactions: fdc
Yikes... I wonder if drake has purchased all the available Birkins in my city? Lol

s.

Not drake but the really wealthy people who live in those penthouses in downtown Bloor, some who live in those expensive neighbourhoods in Etobicoke, people who own those multi million$ lakeside properties in Barry. They're the ones who are the VIPs of Hermes Toronto, who gets prioritized in quota bags, and girl they are wealthyyyy.

Anyway, hermes shoppers vary greatly. You can definitely shop at hermes and be welcomed and given importance after showing your "loyalty". But like a lot of the ladies are saying, if you're just an average shopper in Hermes standards, it's important to consider other things like the perfect SA who you can vibe with. If you're used to the shopping experience in other luxury stores where SAs worship you as long as you're going to buy something, it's just not going to happen, unless you're ultra wealthy. Only way around it is to "play the game/build a relationship" and be a loyal customer because if you're not part of the 1%, you're just never going to be the same in their eyes.

Last edited:
I have been a luxury buyer since I was in my teens. I’ve always been lucky to be able to buy what I want without worrying about prices/ having to save up. I’d never purchase anything if I could not buy it cash and be completely comfortable. I’ve recently started to be interested in Hèrmes. However, in perusing the Hèrmes thread, I feel as if there’s a reason it is difficult to get a Birkin or Kelly... do they only want to sell to extremely wealthy people? How much does one need to make to start shopping at Hermes? Does it even make sense to start a relationship with the brand if you’re not ready to drop 10k every couple months? Please advise!
I certainly don’t drop 10K every couple of months and I am in a happy relationship with Hermès. It sounds like you’re financially well off... so I’m not sure why you think you’re too poor. I don’t really understand.
PS: Hermès

Agree wholeheartedly. It's all about how you present yourself. If you are friendly & respectful, you just never know
what will come your way.

I certainly don’t drop 10K every couple of months and I am in a happy relationship with Hermès. It sounds like you’re financially well off... so I’m not sure why you think you’re too poor. I don’t really understand.
PS: Hermès
I guess my autocorrect isn’t up on game.. sorry. I don’t think I’m too poor, I’m wondering if one has to be extremely wealthy to shop there. What I’m getting from answers is no, you don’t. Also,I was being dramatic with my thread title. X

Reactions: Bereal