Am I crazy, or are the prices..

Cedes

tori
Apr 10, 2006
..kind of insane lately?

I haven't bought Coach stuff in awhile (probably 1-2 years) because I really just don't like a lot of what they've been putting out. But when I do see something I like I'm always floored by what they're asking for it and can't find a good reason for them to be charging such exorbitant prices.

Just as an example, I liked the Parker small flap -

http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=12728&category_id=1983

But $898?? What is it, made from cows that ate gold? I mean, seriously. Is it the strap? There was a bag right after Christmas that I really loved, I think it was something from the cruise line or whatnot. But it was also some ridiculous price (above $500, under $1,000) so I passed.

I think the most I ever paid for Coach was $600 for one of the limited edition ocean fringe bags 3 or 4 years ago, so their current prices are kind of like a kick to the head. Is it just me? Really?

I think that the prices have been creeping up over the years. Hooray for inflation!:tdown:

But on the flip side, they have been turning things over to the outlets faster and cheaper than ever. Win some, lose some, right?!?!

We have an outlet here BUT it's Hawaii and Coach calls us "international waters" so they mark everything up 25%. By the time it makes it to the outlet here it might be discounted down to regular retail price, or just slightly below.

Unless they're having insane 75% off sales. ;)

Oh gosh! 75% off?! Get me a map already! ;)

Haha, right? I think I've only seen 75% off of stuff once, around the holiday season. But here, it's not really a good deal at the outlet unless it's a HUGE sale.

Hawaii is a weird place. I haven't shopped at LV in awhile, but the last time I did their prices were all 5% less than mainland, which basically made your purchase tax free by the time all was said and done. LeSportSac also marks up their merchandise here, but often imports Japanese exclusive prints. It's a total toss-up in the world of handbags around here. :shrugs:

I was too going to comment about the how it seems the more FP prices rise, the lower outlet prices go! It's good for me, as I'm an outlet shopper!

The prices have been going up the last couple of years to points that I thought were just downright insane. However, I'm noticing that this spring, there are a lot of bags back in the $298/$358 range for retail pricing, and the outlet prices have been incredible. I picked up a gorgeous pair of leather gloves ($198 retail) as a gift for...wait for it...ten bucks.

I think that most of their retail pricing will get more moderate due to the economy and the fact that their stock is taking a real beating. Getting back to basics is good for all of us because, let's face it, handbags just aren't a big priority when people are worried about losing their jobs.

YES i have been buying for about two years now. my first purchase i got two large size bags and each were under $200 and now i'm spending around $300 to $350 on bags that are the same size :sad:

Thank you for posting the story, melissatrv. I have been a Coach customer for 15 years and was getting frustrated the last few because of the insane price increases and other things I felt were luring them away from their core competencies. I'd love to see their stock rebound and do better this year.

Wow..their reported gross margins are pretty impressive...

Does anyone know why the Parker small flap is almost $1,000? The only reason I can come up with is the handle - the rest sounds like basic materials and other bags in similar styles are running in the $298 range so I'm lost.