All about the Puff...Puffer bags!

Has anyone experienced "defects" in the puffer bags? I am new to YSL and recently ordered a small puffer bag in beige online. The bag came with nicks all along one of the handles which was a bummer. I brought it to my local store and was able to exchange it for a new one. The SA asked if I wanted to look at it. I was too nervous to inspect it so I said it was fine and that I would take it. When I got home I noticed these creases/wrinkles at the bottom of the bag (pictures attached), the texture is rough compared to other areas of the bag. The bag also did not come stuffed. I was hesitant to bring it back a second time but ultimately it bothered me so I did. The SA explained that lambskin is delicate and that this was normal. I understand if the puffy area of the bag came creased but this happened to the bottom of the bag where it wouldn't even crease with normal wear. The store manager came and was hesitant to exchange it. She brought out a "new" bag that was unwrapped and looked used. It was limp and looked in worse condition than the previous one. I asked if she had one that was wrapped and she explained they are doing a new thing where they unwrap bags so they are ready "to show" customers. Every bag, including the one I had just exchanged from the same store a week ago, came with handles wrapped in foam. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but I can't shake the feeling that they took advantage of my politeness and thought I was dumb. Am I crazy or have you guys been told the same thing?

IMG_8457.jpg

IMG_8459.jpg

Has anyone experienced "defects" in the puffer bags? I am new to YSL and recently ordered a small puffer bag in beige online. The bag came with nicks all along one of the handles which was a bummer. I brought it to my local store and was able to exchange it for a new one. The SA asked if I wanted to look at it. I was too nervous to inspect it so I said it was fine and that I would take it. When I got home I noticed these creases/wrinkles at the bottom of the bag (pictures attached), the texture is rough compared to other areas of the bag. The bag also did not come stuffed. I was hesitant to bring it back a second time but ultimately it bothered me so I did. The SA explained that lambskin is delicate and that this was normal. I understand if the puffy area of the bag came creased but this happened to the bottom of the bag where it wouldn't even crease with normal wear. The store manager came and was hesitant to exchange it. She brought out a "new" bag that was unwrapped and looked used. It was limp and looked in worse condition than the previous one. I asked if she had one that was wrapped and she explained they are doing a new thing where they unwrap bags so they are ready "to show" customers. Every bag, including the one I had just exchanged from the same store a week ago, came with handles wrapped in foam. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but I can't shake the feeling that they took advantage of my politeness and thought I was dumb. Am I crazy or have you guys been told the same thing?

View attachment 5403775

View attachment 5403776
The bottom of mine doesn’t have any creases. If it bothers you now it always will, so I would try and exchange it again. Is there a different YSL boutique you can go to? Will they let you return it since the original purchase was online? Maybe try ordering it from Neimans or Saks to see if you have better luck with them.

Reactions: HavPlenty

View attachment 5403775

View attachment 5403776
That does not sound right. I'm sorry you have to go through this. That bag is too expensive for it to look that way brand new. Do not settle if you don't have to. You're not going to be happy with it.

Hey @DamierEbene how's your suede puffer holding up? I got mine today. Oberpollinger didn't have stock of the black ones, unfortunately.
Sorry for my late reply.
Unfortunately, I don’t have it anymore.
Long story short: It had a defect on the strap (glazing came apart) and after some mails with the customer service I was able to send it back for inspection…they agreed it was a defect.
BUT they wouldn’t exchange for another one (couldn’t/ didn’t want to, not possible or whatever….). They transferred my money back to my account faster than they took it from me and kindly asked me to just place a new order.

Sure…after the price increase was through….:annoyed: as if…

I am done. Of course, I did not order again after the bag had a 350€ increase and recently it was increased again. I originally paid 1750€ and now it costs 2400€. I am out.

They are raising prices Chanel style but the bags don’t hold their value nearly as much. Ridiculous.

The bag was gorgeous. I still love it when I see it. But the experience was so dreadful. I am still not over it.
Enjoy yours!

The bottom of mine doesn’t have any creases. If it bothers you now it always will, so I would try and exchange it again. Is there a different YSL boutique you can go to? Will they let you return it since the original purchase was online? Maybe try ordering it from Neimans or Saks to see if you have better luck with them.

Thank you for the advice!! I will definitely look into purchasing from other retailers from now on.

That does not sound right. I'm sorry you have to go through this. That bag is too expensive for it to look that way brand new. Do not settle if you don't have to. You're not going to be happy with it.

Thank you!! I feel sane knowing that I'm not the only one thinking this. The store manager offered to order one online and have it shipped to the store. She prefaced that this bag also wouldn't come with protective covers which seems crazy because their online return policy states that bags must have their original protective covers to be eligible for returns. I don't see why they would remove the protective covers before the customer receives it making it susceptible to damage during transit. It's not adding up. I think what probably happened was she only had one bag in stock that was returned or was a display item and she brought that one out to me. I wish she was just upfront about it instead of lying and saying it was a new policy. I'm hopeful that I am proved wrong!

The new bag is being shipped to the store. I'm debating if I want to go back and pick it up. I feel this is a lesser of two evils situation. I adore the bag beyond the small defects :smile:

Thank you!! I feel sane knowing that I'm not the only one thinking this. The store manager offered to order one online and have it shipped to the store. She prefaced that this bag also wouldn't come with protective covers which seems crazy because their online return policy states that bags must have their original protective covers to be eligible for returns. I don't see why they would remove the protective covers before the customer receives it making it susceptible to damage during transit. It's not adding up. I think what probably happened was she only had one bag in stock that was returned or was a display item and she brought that one out to me. I wish she was just upfront about it instead of lying and saying it was a new policy. I'm hopeful that I am proved wrong!

The new bag is being shipped to the store. I'm debating if I want to go back and pick it up. I feel this is a lesser of two evils situation. I adore the bag beyond the small defects :smile:
You owe it to yourself to see what the new bag looks like. Good Luck!

View attachment 5403775

View attachment 5403776
I had the same thing happen to me with a small loulou puffer in white but a different defect! They didn’t want to exchange & said it was normal due to the lamb skin being delicate. Long story short I was not going to be taken advantage of & I found a store that gladly exchanged it. Sadly, I decided to buy the matching wallet a few months later..didn’t look at it & it had the same exact defect!! Needless to say when I went back to exchange it I inspected every inch of the new one for the longest time & I didn’t care if I looked crazy!

I had the same thing happen to me with a small loulou puffer in white but a different defect! They didn’t want to exchange & said it was normal due to the lamb skin being delicate. Long story short I was not going to be taken advantage of & I found a store that gladly exchanged it. Sadly, I decided to buy the matching wallet a few months later..didn’t look at it & it had the same exact defect!! Needless to say when I went back to exchange it I inspected every inch of the new one for the longest time & I didn’t care if I looked crazy!
It’s so sad that we even have to inspect each item from luxury fashion houses to make sure everything looks ok. Defects should be the exception, not the rule. Unfortunately, it seems many brands aren’t putting out their best work as of late.

Good point..thank you! I’ll keep an eye out (and fingers crossed, lol)
So I just purchased my small black on black puffer from Fashionphile, and I thought it was miscategorized, because the leather was crinkly, and I thought “wow this seems to have more wear than I thought”, but really I think I got the matte black crinkly leather in small! I could be wrong and this could be water damage? I dunno but the bag is in great state. I’ve been trying to find it elsewhere and I can’t seem to find others in this size or color that are wrinkly leather, so this must be one of those? New to the luxury bag game so not so experienced. I even had it double authenticated by a third party and yes it’s real lol. Pics for reference.

Edit: after reading the thread that somebody else linked about the calf skin and lambskin, I’m starting to think this is actually the wrinkled calf skin not the lamb skin? Does anyone have any thoughts?
2nd Edit!! So I remembered I have the authenticity card and it does say Cuir Veau, which indicates this is calfskin! So fashionphile must’ve listed this incorrectly as it states lambskin I wonder if there would be a difference in price…

88A51890-B8BE-432A-B50C-7D5FD5F934D6.jpeg

B3C2281F-23FC-41DE-806C-B3FEB85A45C8.jpeg

FA0A4390-F757-4865-9B54-10014E1BA733.jpeg

A6968074-25FF-4E4D-9C6B-84E3AECD73EB.jpeg

Last edited:
So I just purchased my small black on black puffer from Fashionphile, and I thought it was miscategorized, because the leather was crinkly, and I thought “wow this seems to have more wear than I thought”, but really I think I got the matte black crinkly leather in small! I could be wrong and this could be water damage? I dunno but the bag is in great state. I’ve been trying to find it elsewhere and I can’t seem to find others in this size or color that are wrinkly leather, so this must be one of those? New to the luxury bag game so not so experienced. I even had it double authenticated by a third party and yes it’s real lol. Pics for reference.

Edit: after reading the thread that somebody else linked about the calf skin and lambskin, I’m starting to think this is actually the wrinkled calf skin not the lamb skin? Does anyone have any thoughts?
2nd Edit!! So I remembered I have the authenticity card and it does say Cuir Veau, which indicates this is calfskin! So fashionphile must’ve listed this incorrectly as it states lambskin I wonder if there would be a difference in price…

View attachment 5418085

View attachment 5418086

View attachment 5418087

View attachment 5418088
This does indeed look like the matte crinkly puffer in calfskin! I know some people prefer this leather/look bc it’s more durable while others prefer the softness of the lambskin.

Hey your bag looks awesome on you!! I'm about to order the same one but in the SMALL size. I'm wondering if you have any color transfer issues with the white, even with that denim shirt on, was it an issue?

Here are some pics. I also added a pic of the clips attached.
View attachment 5136766View attachment 5136767View attachment 5136768
I add the clips one on each side.
View attachment 5136769
You can also bring both sides together, and use one to connect them.
View attachment 5136770

Hey your bag looks awesome on you!! I'm about to order the same one but in the SMALL size. I'm wondering if you have any color transfer issues with the white, even with that denim shirt on, was it an issue?
Thank you! I love the small size too. I didn’t have any color transfer issues. Before wearing for the first time, I did spray it with 2 coats of Carbon Pro. Overall, I’m pretty careful with my bags, and don’t wear dark denim with any white or light color bags. Haven’t had any issues with the lighter denim though.

Reactions: cococrush