After Price Increase, do you think Pre-Loved Chanel price will Increase too?

Hi All,

After this outrageous price increase, do you think pre-owned sellers like yoogi's, fashionphile, realreal will also increase their prices of pre-loved classic bags as well?

Or, do you think it pre-loved price will decrease or as stay the same?

If increased, do you think it will be similar to Chanel's price increase? (+15-25%)

Thanks!

It's hard to say because so much is so "strange" right now regarding the pandemic and the economy as well. I think the resellers will keep their prices the same or they might increase some prices for things like the classic flap or 19 series.

But if people aren't buying from the resellers, then their prices will definitely go down at least a little. Chanel Corporate is a different business model. They can probably be ok for the next year even with lower sales. I don't think the resellers have the same amount of "cushion" to allow for lower sales for an extended amount of time.

I live in Europe and the most popular site used here is Vestiaire Collective (even though I do not recommended at all). Unlike RealReal, on VC all sellers post their own pictures and asking price. Already a lot of them adjusted the prices according to the Chanel price increases. And this was the case for all bags, regardless of the model or year.
Another thing I've notices is bags that I was having in my Favorites file for months and months, got sold in large amounts this week. I guess is panic buying...?!?

I live in Europe and the most popular site used here is Vestiaire Collective (even though I do not recommended at all). Unlike RealReal, on VC all sellers post their own pictures and asking price. Already a lot of them adjusted the prices according to the Chanel price increases. And this was the case for all bags, regardless of the model or year.
Another thing I've notices is bags that I was having in my Favorites file for months and months, got sold in large amounts this week. I guess is panic buying...?!?

I sold my flap on vestiaire. I think most people were waiting for a drastic price drop but realised that someone else might panic seeing the boutique price increase. My offers went from €2200 to selling for €2800. Of course I get way lesser after the commission

Reactions: Mimi-2020
I agree! After the price increase, most people say they are going to buy preloved. Interest in buying is still there, so i would assume preloved prices to adjust according to retail too.

I ordered a classic flap preloved just before the price increase and I contacted the shop as I’m thinking of returning it and asked if prices would increase - they said yes their prices will increase following the price increase as they follow the market
I’m in the U.K. and this was Designer Exchange

Definitely. However, I do wonder how much increase it can bear. I mean people are still going to look at pre-loved to try and get a break, but if sellers go too close to new retail will they be able to get the prices? Exceptions are rare or sought after pieces of course...

Reactions: OCMomof3
Definitely. However, I do wonder how much increase it can bear. I mean people are still going to look at pre-loved to try and get a break, but if sellers go too close to new retail will they be able to get the prices? Exceptions are rare or sought after pieces of course...

To be fair, some buyers were quite ridiculous. As a preloved buyer, for a bag in good condition (minor touch ups needed) i think it's fair to pay slightly more than half the current retail price. Most people felt somewhere near 1/3 was more fair

I have heard the prices will fall because a lot of people will not buy from store anymore.
After some time the bag will not be desireful as before and a lot of them will end on pre-loved market.
When there will be too much of them on second hand market the prices will drop.
One reseller in Europe who was interested in buying Hermes and Chanel doesn't want to buy Chanel anymore as they see them as a risk and not investment piece anymore.

Reactions: classicgirll
I have heard the prices will fall because a lot of people will not buy from store anymore.
After some time the bag will not be desireful as before and a lot of them will end on pre-loved market.
When there will be too much of them on second hand market the prices will drop.
One reseller in Europe who was interested in buying Hermes and Chanel doesn't want to buy Chanel anymore as they see them as a risk and not investment piece anymore.
Why would chanel be a risk?

Because they think when demand for Chanel falls pre loved market prices will fall and he doesn’t want to invest his money in something which they don’t know they will earn like it is the case with Hermes

I dont think demand for chanel would fall as people who can already afford it, will still be able to afford it. But with the exorbitant price increases, I would think many more people would turn more towards preloved.

Reactions: TheeConcreteCat