Advice Please

We have had our puppy a week now and we are thinking of taking him back to the breeder. He is sweet and adorable, but since we have never had a dog before we are horrified at how trashed our house is becoming. He pees all over my white carpet within minutes of going outside. He chews my table and chair legs and does other normal puppy stuff. The problem is with us. Especially me. I am very, very meticulous about my house and I am afraid it will be ruined. It is also starting to smell "doggy", which I hate. I bathe him and wipe his coat regularly. The breeder would take him back (I just spoke to her). Do I give it more time? Do I lose my anal attitude? He also takes up way more time than I ever imagined. He is extremely needy and needs to be held constantly. I need space. If I put him down or he is not in his crate, he pisses everywhere. Gaaaaa. What do I do? It's only been a week, but we could take him back now before we are even more attached.

I know this makes me sound horrible, but this is a 15 year commitment that I don't think I am up for.

Honestly, if your not sure if your able to do a 15 year commitment...take him back where he is still young and cute enough to hopefully still interest someone else that can take proper care of him. It is a trial during the first "puppy stage." However, if your at the point where your thinking of turning him back in then do it because you both dont obviously have a bond with each other if your willing to turn him in or are even contemplating it.

Oh, OK, you twisted my arm :P

2818103494_a7113f8536_b.jpg

2817253563_ce33ef2680_b.jpg

2817251899_03da4b2d79_b.jpg

OMG!! I JUST SAW THE PICTURES!!!!! CAN YOU SAY GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want him!!!!!!!

ADORABLE!
Glad things are working out...I love happy endings.

I must commend you too for your ability to know what you can and cannot handle and putting the puppy's best interests first.

I had a roommate who had a dog and the poor thing was left alone ALL the time. It would just CRY for hours because she'd go out to bars, end up staying at a bf or random guy's apartment or leave it in our care for days :wondering. The poor dog doesn't even know how to walk on a leash b/c she never takes it outside

Please don't give up just yet.

Hire a trainer for 1 hour. The trainer is not there to train your dog. She is there to teach YOU how to train your dog. You will be shocked at how much you can accomplish in one hour.

Watch "It's Me or The Dog" on Animal Planet. 2 one-hour episodes every weekday. Mine comes on at 9am. Tape it if you need to. You will quickly see how "hopeless" dogs can be trained in a matter of days with the correct instructions. Your trainer can show you what to do in one hour. Your post tells me you don't have much experience with puppies. I suggest two hours.

Crate train your dog for potty training. Most people think crates are mean: jail for punishments. They are NOT! They are like Disneyland for dogs: all the treats, toys, and good smells are in there. (The good smells are from old socks you wear for a few hours and then donate to the crate. Your smells are comforting when you are not home.)

When you are cuddling the dog and giving her kisses and strokes, put on classical music in the background. Your pup will quickly associate classical music with relaxation and love. When you are not at home or sleeping, turn on classical music for your dog. It will help her relax. Most TV cable companies have a classical music station. Put your channel to 2 and scroll backwards. (My classical music station is channel 986.)

After you do all this and you are still not happy with the dog and the breeder won't take him back, please surrender him to the Rescue group for his breed. Pug Rescue, Dalmation Rescue, whatever. They will find a permanent home with NO risk for killing the dog if not adopted.

Good luck!