Advice please: white gold chip?

Sep 3, 2021
Hi all,
I bought the Chaîne d’Ancre punk ring with diamonds last week. I’ve only worn it once and I’ve spotted this chip on the back of the ring. It’s not in the inside with the other assay marks.
Has anyone else ever had this problem? I’m taking it back to my store later this week but my SA said it might be an assay mark. But I’ve never seen a mark on the outside of the ring and not in the inner bit.

Just want to hear if you guys ever had this issue with Hermes white gold? Bit surprised that the white gold can be that brittle? I don’t think I did anything extraordinary when I wore it.

I have another white gold ring but it doesn’t have any marks on the outside.

192500F5-9FEB-442D-9978-F00B6D01CDB4.jpeg

B9F4D516-98A3-43A9-893B-69844FC5C7F6.jpeg

67D14496-C005-4C16-B18B-E5EEB3570844.jpeg

This is a signature hallmark that they put on white gold rings and not a chip or a defect. It’s supposed to look like an eagle head. Here are some on rings from fashionphile since Hermes dot com does such a poor job of detail pics. 25AEE2B4-DD81-4B94-84ED-78DEBB3535DD.jpeg7930116C-8A44-4C90-92C1-9DA83A28EDD4.jpeg
On a related question, did you buy this recently from the store? And if so, mind sharing which country? I’ve been dying for this ring for years but no luck in the USA per my SA.58C52070-62F1-4968-A663-4C7ED4FCF5BB.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a signature hallmark that they put on white gold rings and not a chip or a defect. It’s supposed to look like an eagle head. Here are some on rings from fashionphile since Hermes dot com does such a poor job of detail pics. View attachment 5374677View attachment 5374678
On a related question, did you buy this recently from the store? And if so, mind sharing which country? I’ve been dying for this ring for years but no luck in the USA per my SA.View attachment 5374685
Omg! Thank you so much! You don’t understand how relieved I feel now that you told me!
I got it from London and it was the last one in stock. It appears it’s not widely available and my SA told me that they have even stopped taking new orders for fine jewellery. (But then again another one told me to help with demand, stores can only take orders twice a year). In any case it sounds like they have limited production to help with orders.
I hope you too will be able to get it soon!

That is an eagle head. French government asks all jewelry made in the country to be stamped with the eagle head to signify it is 18k gold made in France. Keep in mind that some companies don't always follow this, some of my cartier pieces dont have the eagle stamp, but VCA does. It depends. But, I know Hermes always stamps the eagle head on their 18k gold jewelry.

Platinum items made in france have a dog's head stamped I think.

Normally assay marks are on the inside of the band, but Hermes (and quite a few other French jewellers) like to put them on the outside to 'show them off', I guess! Never quite understood that tendency...

With H, obviously it will always be a desirable thing bc of the brand, but I deal in jewellery and people are often put off by non-branded jewellery with an assay mark on the outside. For me, it's quite useful, as tends to wear away less there than on the inside of the band, enabling me to better tell what a ring is made of! :biggrin:

Gorgeous ring!! Excited for you to have such beauty on your finger... I like how subtle it is, but also bling-y at the same time, if that makes sense?! :heart:

Normally assay marks are on the inside of the band, but Hermes (and quite a few other French jewellers) like to put them on the outside to 'show them off', I guess! Never quite understood that tendency...

With H, obviously it will always be a desirable thing bc of the brand, but I deal in jewellery and people are often put off by non-branded jewellery with an assay mark on the outside. For me, it's quite useful, as tends to wear away less there than on the inside of the band, enabling me to better tell what a ring is made of! :biggrin:

Gorgeous ring!! Excited for you to have such beauty on your finger... I like how subtle it is, but also bling-y at the same time, if that makes sense?! :heart:
Thank you! I honestly was so confused when I got home and inspected it properly. I got too overexcited in the store when I was trying it on and didn't really think about it.