Advice please - Seller claims returned bag is damaged!!!

jeshika

I want this one! <3
O.G.
Jul 18, 2006
Need some advice, ladies! it's a pretty long convoluted story but pretty much i bought a vintage beige chanel flap on eB@y and when I received it, there was a pen mark and strange creasings on the bag so i took a couple pictures and sent it off to barbara at lovin' my bags. she tells me that the bag has been altered... it was probably treated with furniture finish because those creases are not normal.

It was going to cost $450 to undo the damage and restore the bag. I asked the seller to consider splitting the cost with me but she said she wouldn't give me more than $100 for the damage because 1) this bag has never been refurbished (i.e. I am lying!); 2) she got it from a very rich lady and she was selling at cost; and 3) Chanel wouldn't charge more than $150 to fix the bag. so I decided to send the bag back because the bag was clearly had some kind of finish on it and I didn't think Chanel would deal with anything that had been altered (potentially with furniture polish, no less) and I wasn't going to bear the entire cost of repairing the bag myself. I felt like I was being spun around in circles by this seller.

So... i send the bag back to the seller on Tuesday because she claimed that she was going on vacation for a month starting Thursday, used tracking number, signature confirmation, etc... and she KEPT saying to me, "I HOPE IT IS IN THE SAME CONDITION AS WHEN I SENT IT TO YOU!" The bag arrived at her home at 4pm and someone with her last name signs for it. OK, i think all is well, she has her bag back... I can get my money back and we can move on!

NOPE!

Lo and behold, i get a NASTY email this morning saying that the bag was damaged in transit. She claims that I packed the bag poorly. I packed it with a ton of tissue paper and wrapped the bag in layers upon layers of tissue to make sure it was safe and cushioned! She sends me a picture of the CC clasp dislodged from the bag and a couple pictures of the bag itself saying that it is damaged. I can't tell from the pictures if it was truly irreparably damaged. All the creases I see are from the weird stuff that was on the bag previously.

I call up Chanel to ask how much it would cost to fix the clasp and I was told that if they had the parts, they would fix it for free, ifnot it would cost about $40! I forward this information to the seller and she says she is going to bring the bag to the Chanel at some NM to assess the "damage".

NOW, what should I do? I know that technically the bag is back with her and I can just call paypal to return my funds to me. But honestly, I am a little afraid of her. I had the bag sent to my office because I don't have a doorman and she called the company operator and somehow got my extension and left me a crazy message saying she is in the city and is in the area and she wants to show me "how damaged" the bag is. Thankfully, I am out of the office today and I told her so. I'm not going to meet her face to face. Who knows what she'll do?! (I am so glad I didnt send it to my home... can you imagine her sitting outside my apt building?!?!!? ) She is also no longer going on her vacation because of all of this.

Also, I feel really bad that the clasp became dislodged (it IS a 20 year old bag) and if she wants me to pay for to get it reattached, sure. I'm honestly a little worried she is trying to blame the "furniture finish" damage on me.

what do you ladies think? any advice? I would really like to get my money back!!!! and I'm really kind of afraid of this woman...

I'm really done with buying on eB*y. it is SO stressfulllll!!!! who puts furniture finish on their chanel bags?!?!?!?!?!

Sorry this happened OP! I understand why you feel stressed!!
Okay, so.. here's my opinion:
1. Do not feel guilty about her "not going on vacation anymore", I don't believe for one second that she was going in the first place.
2. You should definitely contact PP if you did not do it already. You have the right to get your money back, this is clearly an SNAD.
3. Call PP and tell her about the threats she is making about coming to your office, they can (hopefully) provide you with advice on how to handle it best.
4. About the above, don't let her scare you! She is probably hoping you'll be too scared to demand your money back... It's probably just empty threats (is that the correct way you say it in english??)

GOOD LUCK and don't worry! You'll be fine :smile:;)

Did you insure the package when you returned the bag? If the bag was "damaged" in transit back to her can you/her file an insurance claim with the shipping carrier?

Hmmm...I wonder if there was any damage to the box @ all? Or if the seller is claiming the damage occurred from excessive jostling of the box? I would think that damage to a package during transit would be somewhat noticeable from the outside unless the item was breakable like glass.

OMG how crazy!!! im so sorry this seller is insane. i hope all this works out for you. this kind of stuff gets under my skin. i do not think she should try to bully you like she is.

Gosh what is up with the crazy stalking Ebayers lately?!

I agree with what's been said, don't let her bully you, she sounds like a fruitcake. I'd go ahead and claim your refund since the bag is returned back to you. If you can warn your office that this unstable woman is harassing you, I wouldn't even give her two seconds on the phone as I think that will only encourage her.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! It sounds to me like you packaged it back to her just fine.

Linda

Can you show PP your pictures and hers? Maybe the pictures can somehow prove that the bag was not damaged enroute back to her but was already damaged when you first received it. Did you file an SNAD?

Did you file a claim before you sent it back to her? She sounds like a complete nutjob, I would avoid further contact with her, call paypal and explain the situation to them, ask if you can send them the photo's you have of the damaged bag, prior to your shipment. Good luck!

Can you show PP your pictures and hers? Maybe the pictures can somehow prove that the bag was not damaged enroute back to her but was already damaged when you first received it. Did you file an SNAD?

I didn't file a SNAD because she said she would take the bag back. I can't see any additional damages in her pictures. :wtf: can paypal deny my claim if i request they forcibly take the $$ out her account?

Gosh what is up with the crazy stalking Ebayers lately?!

I agree with what's been said, don't let her bully you, she sounds like a fruitcake. I'd go ahead and claim your refund since the bag is returned back to you. If you can warn your office that this unstable woman is harassing you, I wouldn't even give her two seconds on the phone as I think that will only encourage her.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! It sounds to me like you packaged it back to her just fine.

Linda

i don't even know how she got my extension! i didn't think the receptionist was allowed to give it out! I didn't answer any of her calls because i was out of the office but it is scary that she was wandering around nearby.

she sent me another looney email about how i must be nutty because she doesn't believe that the clasp replacement can be $40 when it was going to cost $450 to get rid of the pen mark. which is not what i said AT ALL! the $450 quote was to fix the furniture finish on the bag!!! I even forwarded her the email from lovin'mybags: "the finish on there would have to be removed and the leather conditioned and then refinished with the proper leather finish that is soft"

the fact that she refuses to acknowledge that the bag was painted with furniture finish makes me suspect that she is trying to pin that on me.

i'm going to wait for her to take the bag to her neiman marcus (if she does)... and THEY can tell her that her bag was painted with furniture finish and YES, it costs $40 to replace the clasp.

omg, the fact that she got your extension and wanted to show up at your place of work just proves what a fruit loop she is! Gosh, maybe I should just not sell my Chanel on Ebay... every terrible story has to do with a Chanel!!!

omg, the fact that she got your extension and wanted to show up at your place of work just proves what a fruit loop she is! Gosh, maybe I should just not sell my Chanel on Ebay... every terrible story has to do with a Chanel!!!

i've had many excellent experiences buying chanel on the bay... but once in awhile... there is the one crazy person that ruins it for everybody!