Advice needed: Should I sell or keep? Warning - long post

jyyanks

Sep 15, 2013
Hello H friends! This is a long post so please forgive me.

I've been a member of this forum for about 5 years and was very active early on. I've taken a hiatus the last 2 years mainly due to 1) a job switch that has me traveling the country with little time for anything else and 2) my oldest going off to college which means my H funds are now going to college payments. However, I've slowly started to come back into the H fold and have taken a hard look at my collection (bags and scarves).

So far, I've been really happy with my collection though I've yet to acquire 2 HG's - a BE Birkin 30 with PHW and/or a Barenia B30 with PHW. One thing that has changed since I've started collecting is that previously I loved large bags (I have a B35 a Bolide 35, a giant toolbox etc etc) but last year I had a back injury which has limited my ability to carry heavy bags - especially ones that can only be carried by hand. The bags I love are now too big and heavy but I can't bring myself to part with them just yet for various reasons (sentimental, love the color, can never get again etc.)

However, there is one bag which I almost never use - my K32 in Gris T Clemence It is a GORGEOUS bag and I was over the moon when it was offered to me. However, it is way too light colored and every time I take it out, I get scared to use it. Furthermore, while it's the perfect size and the strap works for my back, the Kelly is just way too cumbersome to get in/out of. I have a K32 in Rouge H Box but it's my "throw around bag" (bought it pre-loved from France and it's almost 50 years old) and I am never careful with it. But, if I'm being honest, I love the look of the Kelly but it's too complicated for my lifestyle. I love my plume/halzan/victoria/evelyne etc because of how "easy"they are. I think a B30 would be perfect since I can leave it open. Love my B35 but it is soon heavy!

Since I haven't been to the boutique in years, not sure if I'll be able to re-esatblish the relationship with my SA and get my hands on a B30 anytime soon (plus I don't think BE is in production and barenia is impossible to get).

1) Should I sell my K32 and hold the funds for when I do get offered a B30 (could be awhile though I am going to Paris in the summer)?
2) Should I sell my K32 and buy a B 30 in Barenia or BE or the resale market? I see both available from time to time and am sorely tempted.
3) Should I keep my Gris T Kelly in case I change my mind? My taste has changed since I started collecting so it may change again.
4) Should I just keep a little while longer and then if/when I get offered a B30, then I can consider selling it? I may decide at that point to keep and just sell one of my other bags

Sorry for the really long post but if you're still with me, I would love your thoughts. Thank you in advance. for your help/advice.

I would do 3 or 4. I recently acquired a K32 in Craie Clemence from the Rue De Sèvres boutique. Although I was terrified of getting it dirty, that has subsided with use. These bags are meant to be used and loved. As for convenience, I keep the two straps clasped and leave the flap open for ease of access. I sometimes also place the flap over the two straps and have ease of opening and closing the clasp.

I would do number 4. Since you think it’s gorgeous I’d keep it a while longer. Try using it more and then see. I took out my VN K28 sellier tonight. Haven’t used her in So Long and enjoyed her so much I plan to make more effort to take her out more often. You may find the same happens. If not, then sell.

Reactions: jyyanks
Unless you need to sell, I would hang on. However you do seem to have accepted that the Kelly style does not work for you on a practical level - it is not just that the Gris T is pale colour. So, perhaps you could let the Kellys go without future remorse.

I know that empty a B35 is heavier than a B30 because it us bigger.
But surely that difference in weight is not the problem.
Because a 35 is larger, you fill it with more stuff QED it is heavier.
So learn to carry less and the 35s will be lighter! Easier said than done, I know.
As you have a back problem and this is not merely size driven by fad,
you need to address how you can manage it best.
Start by taking what you need, not just what you always carry with you.
Try putting everything from your 35 bag into a clear plastic bag and weighing it.

#4. IMO your K is a classic neutral, I would hang on to it until you own another neutral in a size that you like. Barenia B 30 would be perfect. Once you have both, you can decide if you want to keep (and sell one or two of your other bags?), or sell.

I wanted to ask why you use the box Kelly but not the K32 in Gris T? Do you find it’s easier to get into one than the other, or maybe are you more likely to set the box Kelly down so it’s easier to get into? I think if you are really not using Kelly bags then sell the K32 in Gris T and set the money aside for another purchase. But if you are using your box Kelly then I think it’s possible you would use the K32 in Gris T in the future, and in this case don’t sell the K32 quite yet. In my opinion bags should be functional for the most part, but if you have one or two pieces of beautiful jewelry that you only sometimes wear but which you hold onto because they are beautiful, then I think it’s fine to hang onto one rarely used but beautiful bag!

I would certainly choose option number 4, for all of the reasons mentioned this far. You have received such excellent advice, the only thing I can add is to make sure that the B30 Barenia of your dreams would not be too heavy for your back injury. I have B30s that are heavier than B35s due to the leather. Barenia is quite heavy in my opinion. If the weight of the Barenia B30 hurts your back you could narrow your focus to a light leather like chèvre or epsom for your other dream choice in BE.

However, there is one bag which I almost never use - my K32 in Gris T Clemence It is a GORGEOUS bag and I was over the moon when it was offered to me. However, it is way too light colored and every time I take it out, I get scared to use it. Furthermore, while it's the perfect size and the strap works for my back, the Kelly is just way too cumbersome to get in/out of. I have a K32 in Rouge H Box but it's my "throw around bag" (bought it pre-loved from France and it's almost 50 years old) and I am never careful with it. But, if I'm being honest, I love the look of the Kelly but it's too complicated for my lifestyle. I love my plume/halzan/victoria/evelyne etc because of how "easy"they are. I think a B30 would be perfect since I can leave it open. Love my B35 but it is soon heavy!

Since I haven't been to the boutique in years, not sure if I'll be able to re-esatblish the relationship with my SA and get my hands on a B30 anytime soon (plus I don't think BE is in production and barenia is impossible to get).

1) Should I sell my K32 and hold the funds for when I do get offered a B30 (could be awhile though I am going to Paris in the summer)?
2) Should I sell my K32 and buy a B 30 in Barenia or BE or the resale market? I see both available from time to time and am sorely tempted.
3) Should I keep my Gris T Kelly in case I change my mind? My taste has changed since I started collecting so it may change again.
4) Should I just keep a little while longer and then if/when I get offered a B30, then I can consider selling it? I may decide at that point to keep and just sell one of my other bags

Sorry for the really long post but if you're still with me, I would love your thoughts. Thank you in advance. for your help/advice.

#4. You find it cumbersome to use so definitely sell it, but since you haven't gotten an offer for B30 yet, you're not in a hurry to sell it. In the meantime, keep enjoy looking at it! Or even use it more times and see if you'll change your mind.

Hello H friends! This is a long post so please forgive me.

I've been a member of this forum for about 5 years and was very active early on. I've taken a hiatus the last 2 years mainly due to 1) a job switch that has me traveling the country with little time for anything else and 2) my oldest going off to college which means my H funds are now going to college payments. However, I've slowly started to come back into the H fold and have taken a hard look at my collection (bags and scarves).

So far, I've been really happy with my collection though I've yet to acquire 2 HG's - a BE Birkin 30 with PHW and/or a Barenia B30 with PHW. One thing that has changed since I've started collecting is that previously I loved large bags (I have a B35 a Bolide 35, a giant toolbox etc etc) but last year I had a back injury which has limited my ability to carry heavy bags - especially ones that can only be carried by hand. The bags I love are now too big and heavy but I can't bring myself to part with them just yet for various reasons (sentimental, love the color, can never get again etc.)

Hi, I remember you from before, welcome back to H [emoji6] maybe you should take the 4th option !? Keep for now the bag and if you get your B30cm then reconsider then if you really want to sell [emoji3]

I'm struggling with a similar issue at the moment. Maybe 4 + try wearing it a few times to see if you feel strongly one way or another. I sometimes find we have a view of items in our closet but once we start actually using them, the thinking evolved

Time flies!!! I joined this forum when my first born was well, a new born, and in a few years he, too, would go off to college.
>_< so glad you are back to having your fun fund though!!

I am leaning towards keeping Gris T for now while waiting for your barenia 30 B (which, btw, unlike a few years ago, it’s much easier to get now, just to bear in mind!). It’s a beautiful, neutral color, and if you want to keep the handles relatively clean, maybe use a dark color twily for the colder days and light color one for the warmer days! Good luck and hope you will get your barenia B soon!

I don't believe in counting on resale values. But if you don't have an immediate need for the money you'd get from selling your bag, there's a decent chance that you'll get more for it tomorrow than you would today. I'd hang onto it.

Reactions: jyyanks and PJW5813