Advice from sellers needed - INR

^^As suspected. Seller needs to open a case ASAP. I'm not sure what exactly she's up to about delivery notes. Is it possible she has not tracked the shipping at all and/or doesn't believe you?

Do you have confirmation that she opened a case? can she forward the correspondence to you? I'm not sure what the other ladies will advise but if it were me I would insist on an immediate refund and let her follow up the insurance claim. I would also ask eBay's advice.

You should file INR asap I believe you only get 45 days to open a case. This tracking shows that you have not received the item. Your seller did ship and did her part in the sale, but as the seller she does need to file the insurance claim not you. You should be refunded and then she should be refunded from the insurance claim. I have had international packages go astray also and its no fun. I was the seller and had to take the loss because I only used priority flat rate box and no insurance.

I, personally, would file an ebay claim. My reasoning for this is because of your time frame---you only have a few days (i believe) left before you can't file a claim anymore. You can always close the claim if you choose to do so. I agree that the seller sent the item...however it is the sellers job to make sure that the item gets to you---hence why they should always purchase insurance, tracking etc. So open the claim, don't escalate yet, and just protect yourself. Then ask the seller to send their correspondence to you so you can see what usps has said. But something about this just doesn't make sense...

Oh I am sorry this is happening to you OP. I had a similar situation once when I sold something to a buyer in Canada. The customs track stated that the item was shipped to its destination but buyer had informed me that she had not received it. So I filed a claims with USPS but a couple days later she informed me that her concierge had the package. Plus, she was a returning buyer. Everything worked out well. But I hope that package does make its way to you.

Did you file an INR? If you haven't, do it today. This IS a seller's problem as well, since it's her transaction. Since she can't prove the item is delivered she'll have to file for insurance and get reimbursed.

ETA: I see that you said you filed with ebay already. Is that right? The seller will have to submit the proof of delivery and signature (since it is over $250), otherwise you'll get your purchase amount back.

Last edited:
I think both the seller and buyer have to have launched formal follow up with their post offices or nothing happens in terms of insurance or eBay. Definitely start the item not received process on eBay.

She's saying that her postal service won't declare the item lost and pay the insurance because they claim the USPS delivered, though the USPS site (and staff) state they didn't.

Sometimes USPS can have extra -internal- info that is not online for us to see. They can verify when something was delivered on their end although it may not be viewable to you. What you seller needs to do is go to the PO and see what kind of proof they can give her as to where it was delivered. That may help solve the case.

Thanks again, everyone. I did file an INR to protect myself, but haven't elevated to having e-bay resolve it yet because I think the seller is honest and USPS screwed up (shock!) so I'm hoping she can file for a claim, reimburse me, and at least no one is out money but just time and hassle. If she doesn't do anything about insurance, etc. in a week I'll bump up to having e-bay customer service resolve it.

I hate that this happened because I fear sounding like one of those buyer horror stories you all fear... but at least the USPS tracking info supports that the package is lost, and I know my local post office never received it or send it for delivery.

I just want to say how grateful for the time and support you ladies have given me. I know it isn't the world's most important or complex problem, but I want to do what's right by the seller without ending up out a big chunk of money (to me).

Thanks again, everyone. I did file an INR to protect myself, but haven't elevated to having e-bay resolve it yet because I think the seller is honest and USPS screwed up (shock!) so I'm hoping she can file for a claim, reimburse me, and at least no one is out money but just time and hassle. If she doesn't do anything about insurance, etc. in a week I'll bump up to having e-bay customer service resolve it.

I hate that this happened because I fear sounding like one of those buyer horror stories you all fear... but at least the USPS tracking info supports that the package is lost, and I know my local post office never received it or send it for delivery.

It could take a week or 30 days for an insurance claim and you want to make sure you are protected. I would give her the week and then escalate. Ebay will have her reimburse you for INR then she will be reimbursed when the claim pays out.

Linda

I just want to say how grateful for the time and support you ladies have given me. I know it isn't the world's most important or complex problem, but I want to do what's right by the seller without ending up out a big chunk of money (to me).

It could take a week or 30 days for an insurance claim and you want to make sure you are protected. I would give her the week and then escalate. Ebay will have her reimburse you for INR then she will be reimbursed when the claim pays out.

Linda

I think you should file now. If you don't, then the seller has to run the risk of the postal system reimbursing her if the item never turns up. By filing now, at least both of you will be protected from my understanding. There is no downside to filing. Both of you have done the right thing. The system is what is failing you.