Advice from anyone in the Boston/Cambridge area...Pretty please???

Louis Amor

long time lurker
Jan 14, 2007
Hello everyone,

I'm super nervous since DH has accepted a job in Cambridge, Mass. Can anyone offer a good place to live that is commuting distance from Cambridge and has nice schools?

Thanks so much!!!!!

Hello everyone,

I'm super nervous since DH has accepted a job in Cambridge, Mass. Can anyone offer a good place to live that is commuting distance from Cambridge and has nice schools?

Thanks so much!!!!!
Look into Lexington/Arlington area. My SO lives in lexington and it is a VERY nice town, literally right down the road from Cambrodge/Boston but is very non-city.

Mass has great schools! I am a teacher in one of them! ;) PM me if you ever have any questions. I would suggest the suburbs surrounding Boston (especially directly north of Boston where I am from). I don't live in Melrose, but that is another nice town with good schools and close to Cambridge. As the poster mentioned above, Lexington is a fabulous town, but very expensive to live in... if you can afford it, go for it! Some areas in the city are a little more "urban" than others, but the suburbs are always nice and close enough to the city.

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know about Waltham? It seems like the houses are pretty reasonable there, and it's not too far away. Not sure what the traffic is like either. Thanks!

Waltham and Watertown are next to Cambridge and much of both are great places to live. Quiet, safe neighborhoods and hub can commute to Cambridge even on public transportation and avoid the traffic. Still, a car commute from that area is also easy, and if is work has parking that's half the battle. Please PM me if you want any info- I grew up in Newton, lived in Waltham/Watertown etc. Not sure where you are moving from but you are in for a pleasant surprise :yes:

Feel free to PM me as well. I grew up in the suburbs west of Boston and went to college in Boston. I've lived in Boston, Cambridge, Natick, Framingham, Ashland and Wellesley. I work in Waltham and have a few friends from work who live in Waltham, Lexington and Arlington...so if you have any specific questions about any of those areas let me know and I'd be happy to help.

I grew up in Lexington and I'd say Lexington has a great school system.

I don't know that much about it, except to say that Concord is really pretty. Although, I'm told it's more expensive to live there than Lexington.

Congratulations to your husband!

My bf is from Boston and one of the areas he recommends is Belmont which is connected with Cambrigde and the school district is top rated. It's a very nice area and is about a 10 minute car ride to Cambridge. It is also accessible by train or by bus.