Advice for a confused Canadian on scarves

DD840

Apr 14, 2010
I have two questions I'd like to get opinions on...

First, I've discovered that prices tend to be $50 less in the US than in Canada and if I'm shopping in Seattle the tax is currently 4% less too. I called about a new scarf and they have it at my local store in the colour I want (Ferronnerie 981522S05) so I put it on hold. Should I get it or see if they have one the next time I'm in Seattle? I'm not sure how difficult it is to find specific styles in specific colours since I'm new to Hermes. Also, I don't go down to Seattle that frequently either.

Second question is, if I have a limited budget should I get the Ferronnerie or a Prada Fairy scarf? (or there is the russian toy patterned scarf I like too :confused1:). I'm big on the P fairies and have two bags but could wear the scarf more. I know I'm on Hermes so the opinions will most likely be skewed...but let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

• ferrs05.JPG
    ferrs05.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 104
  • fairy.JPG
    fairy.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 128
  • hermes1.JPG
    hermes1.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 99
Honestly - I actually like the Prada scarf best! It's really pretty and I love the colours but that's just me. I don't own any Prada so can't comment on quality of silk etc but for purely design..Prada one.

I have two questions I'd like to get opinions on...

First, I've discovered that prices tend to be $50 less in the US than in Canada and if I'm shopping in Seattle the tax is currently 4% less too. I called about a new scarf and they have it at my local store in the colour I want (Ferronnerie 981522S05) so I put it on hold. Should I get it or see if they have one the next time I'm in Seattle? I'm not sure how difficult it is to find specific styles in specific colours since I'm new to Hermes. Also, I don't go down to Seattle that frequently either.
I may guess that you may start with a call to Seattle to find out whether they have this scarf in c/w you need. I always do that with my local boutiques. :biggrin: Generally, as I know, every boutique makes thier own orders. And Ferronnerie, what year was it reissued last, 2003/2004? Then older the scarf is, then, I guess, the chances to find it on sale are less.

Second question is, if I have a limited budget should I get the Ferronnerie or a Prada Fairy scarf? (or there is the russian toy patterned scarf I like too :confused1:). I'm big on the P fairies and have two bags but could wear the scarf more. I know I'm on Hermes so the opinions will most likely be skewed...but let me know what you think. Thanks!
Quite a hard choice you have... :biggrin:
I would say that if you're a real fan of Prada Fairy - go for the Prada scarf! The design is very nice!
One thing you may like to consider though, is that all these nice fairies wouldn't be very recognizable when the scarf is folded. No such problem with bags. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I wanted to add some more thoughts... I like Ferronnerie in this c/w, very lively! And Zabavushka will look good folded. All the same, that's only my opinion!
BTW what size is the Prada scarf, 90?

The Prada is 39" x 39" so 99. With the design all on one end I'm not sure how much could be seen folded. I should have asked for modeling pics in the Prada forum.

So I stopped into the H store today to browse. Decided the Ferronnerie was a little too small and heard that the Zabavushka is an older one that they no longer have (at least in Vancouver). However, the new Nuees imaginaires was great but I'll wait until some more colourways are in before picking one. The SA was so nice, too, but no cookies this time. I'll probably check the next time I'm in the States too, since the price diff rubs me wrong with the dollar almost at par.

Hi DD, I use to live in Canada, and with taxes and salaries what they were, everything was so expensive. I would only buy my good stuff in the states, that's when I would stock up. That being said, if you like the fairy design, then get it but Hermes is so forever. Just look on resale sights. I tend to get tired of my prada and other desisgner things, but with H I ask myself why I didn't buy more back then when prices were lower or when they had certain styles that are no longer available. I think Prada is trendy and fun but H is classic, chic, elegant, etc. I own chanel, ferragamo, gucci, burberry and other scarves, but they're just using valuable space in the closet. My H scarves are the go to ones, especially on my birkins and kellys. Good luck, go with your instinct, but for me it's Hermes over Prada any day.

Hi DD840 - I'm a Canuck too who is fairly new to H scarves, but I've been combing tPF, resale sites, blogs, eBay, and am a quick study!

Zabavushka is really popular and can only be found at re-sellers now. There is one on evil bay right now that is over $700! But one in the c/w you like went a few weeks ago for only $370, so it's just a matter of luck.

I love the Ferronerie, but if you've seen it in person and think it's too small, then don't do it. I also prefer the 90 cm size ones as I can where them as tops and use as belts, and there are SOOO many of them on re-sale sites. Just do your research so you don't buy a knock-off. And it's good that buying from eBay means we can take advantage of the dollar being at par. If you wanted to buy new, definitely wait til you get to Seattle.

Not sure about Prada scarves so can't help you there!

Thanks for the advice everyone :smile:

I actually bought an LV polka scarf, which is somewhat similar to the Zabavushka as it has Russian dolls and Faberge eggs on it. I'll cross my fingers that I don't come across a Zaba that I like better and then regret the LV.

I'm going to remind you about that whole nasty duty & taxes thing when you come back into Canada. Sorry 'bout that! I'm not sure what the various lengths of time you have to be gone from Canada are, but on a very short trip, I suspect one scarf would exceed your duty-free allowance. Also, remember to check which of your credit cards has the best "foreign exchange rate", if you don't have a US $ credit card.

I'm sooooooooooo anxiously awaiting our trip to the US -- the one place I'm insisting on going is to Hermes!