Adopting a puppy! Advice? (Pics too!)

I just realized that he must have been separated from his mom before 8 weeks. I know that happens sometimes with rescues (and I suspect that my boy may have been), but it's far from ideal and it's something you should be aware of. For example, puppies learn bite inhibition from their moms and littermates when they're young, so you may have your work cut out for you if he's a nippy puppy (labs are especially mouthy). My guy was nippy, and it was difficult for me sometimes, so absolutely supervise your children at all times (though you should anyway). Also, socialize, socialize, socialize as soon as you get him. Before he has completed his his shots, try to have play dates with vaccinated dogs you know with good temperaments. Take him new places every day. They say puppies should meet 100 people in 100 days; the more, the better. Puppy classes are wonderful, for you and for him.

Very good advice! Yes, I assume he was separated from his mom early. He has been with his brother tho and his foster mom has 6 other dogs, so he has been well socialized with other dogs.

I read about making a "hurt" sound if they put their teeth on you, so they learn not to do that.

Also, he will be at my husband's business during the day so he will meet lots of people every day, so that is good! We are also taking him camping with us next weekend and I'm sure he will meet lots of people, kids, dogs there too.

And we will look into puppy classes too. I think that would be a great thing for my older child to get involved in also (well, he may need kid classes for obedience too, but that's another story :P)

Hi again,

to reprimand a puppy to prevent nipping you could tap gently his muzzle and reprimand with a loud NO.

I have a rescue Staffordshire Bull Terrior aged 6 when we got her. We have had her 3 years now.
She looks fierce but is actually a very gentle dog. Because of her breed ( regarded a macho dog for men with mimiscule ego's ) she was used to playing rough with young men so we had to retrain her using the above method.

She is a very gentle dog by nature and has been retrained so she plays very gently now. She is a very powerful dog. Her name is Bess and she was used by 2 owners for breeding. Bess was very well trained though but not loved. Bess never had her own bed or toys! She loves living with us and we love having her! She was given the snip so she cannot have anymore puppies. Bess thinks all puppies and kittens need her care and attention along with small children! She is a total flirt with men though! Men just adore her.

A dog should always have their own space they can retreat to.

Don't forget puppies love chewing! Please safeguard your electrical wires etc and encourage your puppy to chew healthy items otherwise you will find your dog may choose to chew your favourite pairs of shoes or your handbag!

thanks x

I read about making a "hurt" sound if they put their teeth on you, so they learn not to do that.

Yep, that's what all of the positive method trainers say -- you yelp like a puppy would. If it's really nippy or he's not getting it, you can turn your back or walk away from him (which is what I ended up doing sometimes).

Ian Dunbar has a great article on bite inhibition; you can find a copy here: http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm (he also has a website).