Adding protective soles to new boots?

mz_engineer12

Jun 26, 2021
Purchased my first pair of Ferragamo boots with leather soles. Do you go to the cobbler and add protective soles prior to wearing? Or do you get it resoled when the existing soles are worn out? TIA!

I usually do it right away, but that is because it is more convenient to have it done immediately instead of needing to go back in a week or two. Sometimes it just takes one wear for the soles and front/heel part of the leather to look like a wild animal went at it if it gets wet or if you walk on a place with gravel or cement that is not very smooth. I will say that Ferragamo soles are much more durable for a few wears unprotected than other brands like some Chanel and Jimmy Choo. The ones with the laquer over the leather vs the ones that are pale and softer than a baby. The Ferragamo boutique charges a lot more for putting on zip soles than cobblers do, but our boutique just sends them to Rago brothers anyway. Department store seem to do them differently, because it is much quicker. If you have the soles done by a cobbler, make sure they use the dress shoe type of sole instead of the standard zip sole that are not as slimmed down where the sole joins the leather of the shoe.

Reactions: mz_engineer12
Purchased my first pair of Ferragamo boots with leather soles. Do you go to the cobbler and add protective soles prior to wearing? Or do you get it resoled when the existing soles are worn out? TIA!
I prefer to resole after it wears out, it takes years to wear out. I’ve resoled a leather sole pair with Vibram rubber and don’t like the feel. I’m just wearing it because the upper part looks good after more than 5 years. Feet mould into the leather making it so comfortable to wear whereas rubber soles are stiff.