A Work of Art? It's in the Bag

:heart: this thread!

I realize it's an unpopular view but I'm going to disagree re: any bag of any price receiving the same level of worship in this forum. I don't think it takes a lot of time here to realize that Hermes is going to receive considerably more attention and unquestioning admiration than Dooney or Coach. Not criticizing that or implying that it's either right or wrong - it just is - and varies from poster to poster. But to state that every great bag is treated equally here is not particuarly aware, IMO. :shrugs:

Respectfully disagree on this ... I, for one, have never been to the Hermes subforum. And while I don't care for Coach, I know many members are Coach fans; Coach is an attainable holy grail for many.

Every bag is, indeed, treated equally here - it's in the eye of beholder - your eye is tuned differently, that's all. Each person's vision is unique and individual; if it were not, this forum would fail miserably and would not exist.

I realize it's an unpopular view but I'm going to disagree re: any bag of any price receiving the same level of worship in this forum. I don't think it takes a lot of time here to realize that Hermes is going to receive considerably more attention and unquestioning admiration than Dooney or Coach. Not criticizing that or implying that it's either right or wrong - it just is - and varies from poster to poster. But to state that every great bag is treated equally here is not particuarly aware, IMO. :shrugs:

I hear what you are saying. I don't believe I said every bag would receive equal love. But what is perfect for one is not perfect for another. What I think brings us here is the search for and the joy at finding the perfect bag whatever that is. And I don't think status is the number one factor in determining perfection.

Status is a factor. I think very few of us are totally immune. That lack of immunity is at the core of my lament. But to acknowledge I am tainted does not mean I am consumed.

In a sense, status relieves people of thinking. It is following the crowd. "If everyone thinks this brand is great, this must be a great bag and worth the price." I have read posts here in which people have said that "expense does not equal quality". "You have to judge quality with your own eyes". Many of us lack the confidence to do that. To me it seems easier to say that this expensive brand name bag lacks quality that to say the opposite--this no name bag is a quality bag.

Enjoy reading all the highly intellectuals comments here.:ps:

Thank you for the article, dreamlet. If I'm talking about Asia here, (I'm an Asian myself), status symbol is still derived and uphold by many even if they claim not to.

Yet, I'm glad there are still smart women around who don't get lost within the high society and status symbol fever.
:cool:

I hear what you are saying. I don't believe I said every bag would receive equal love. But what is perfect for one is not perfect for another. What I think brings us here is the search for and the joy at finding the perfect bag whatever that is. And I don't think status is the number one factor in determining perfection.

Status is a factor. I think very few of us are totally immune. That lack of immunity is at the core of my lament. But to acknowledge I am tainted does not mean I am consumed.

In a sense, status relieves people of thinking. It is following the crowd. "If everyone thinks this brand is great, this must be a great bag and worth the price." I have read posts here in which people have said that "expense does not equal quality". "You have to judge quality with your own eyes". Many of us lack the confidence to do that. To me it seems easier to say that this expensive brand name bag lacks quality that to say the opposite--this no name bag is a quality bag.

^I agree. I also think "status" or this sort of "branding" is used in our crowded society to deliniate various communities or "crowds." It's a way of communicating "I'm an insider" that won't alienate non-insiders because they likely won't recognize the communication (for example, the Hermes bag, the husband's shoes, the choice of restaurant, etc. It shouts status to someone like you who can read the language while, at the same time, allowing someone to walk into a JC Penny with a Hermes on their arm and not be overly conspicuous.)

OTOH, for persons or crowds that don't have the time to self-educate in the less conspicuous methods of communication, design houses have created products that communicate one's status in a more memorable way so that someone with kids, work, school, housekeeping on their plate can see a monogram, remember it, buy it, and know that they're instantly communicating "XYZ" ... the time investment is not required. Does that make sense?

It's such a touchy topic because, as pointed out, we're all eager for status in whatever way we choose to define it for ourselves. Even if we self-deliniate as "lower class", we're going to elevate that class level ("I've got friends in low places" on the radio, occupy wall street, big-bad-1%, etc.). If we identify as "upper crust", we're going to be sure to point out our family's legacy status with X Ivy. We all do this in our own way - I do it too. We're trying to commuicate both belonging and superiority at the same time. Bags are one way to do that - an increasingly accessible way.

I don't find the secretary story to be either shocking or necessitating judgment (other than perhaps the wisdom of the financial choice when it could be invested and grown significantly over the next 30 years instead .... but I've made similarly iffy choices so :shrugs:). I have noticed that the upwardly mobile middle class seems to feel that there is a lot to prove and look toward these outward symbols as a way of (a) indicating "belonging" in the "upper" levels, as well as (b) a way of saying "See, I belong" to ward off any questioning or peering into their backgrounds. OTOH, the best-off man I know dresses like a combo of a homeless dude and a dragons-and-dungeons afficionado, talks like a science geek, drives the most non-descript vehicle in the world, hangs out with as many self-admitted "rednecks" as he can meet, and is a bit high-maintenance and socially inept. It's hilarious to watch people's responses to him change when they learn he owns multiple private jets and could buy and sell them 100 times over. :shrugs:

I think it's great that we all try to be open-minded about these things, but an adorable, high-quality bag from a generic department store is generally not considered art .... not because it's not, but because it doens't have the marketing and societal context of a Lieber, say (which is also considered common in some circles, interestingly). Individually we have a tendency toward this type of judgment that we could - and some of us do - fight against it, but it is, on some level, societally condoned to some extent, which gives us an excuse to indulge in it if we can find an accepted way to express it ("quality" or "accessibility", say).

OTOH, the best-off man I know dresses like a combo of a homeless dude and a dragons-and-dungeons afficionado, talks like a science geek, drives the most non-descript vehicle in the world, hangs out with as many self-admitted "rednecks" as he can meet, and is a bit high-maintenance and socially inept. It's hilarious to watch people's responses to him change when they learn he owns multiple private jets and could buy and sell them 100 times over. :shrugs:

So you are friends with Walden from Two and a Half Men?!?

Joking aside, your point about the communication without offending is very interesting.