A quick question

ladycornflake

A beautiful freak
Dec 15, 2008
xxx please do not discuss selling.

My question is how do I list it? Do I do a low starting price and reserve or is is better to do a Buy it Now to get the price I want? Also, what would be a good price to ask? I was thinking 30% off as it is pretty much new. Could I get any more on Ebay?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebay always reckon that it you start off with a 99p price that it will ecourage more people to bid. You can always set a reserve amount for the price you are willing to accept, but be prepared for it not to sell. Alternatively, (and I have done this before) set a BIN price but also allow people to make you offers. You can set up your listing so offers under a certain price are automatically declined too to save you some of the hassle. It all depends if you're set on a price and think it will sell for that, or if you're willing to take a bit of a risk through an auction.

Good luck though!

I have never sold a bag so Im not much use.But for whats its worth- my personal feelings as a buyer are: I am very wary of ebay generally and I drop out of bidding as soon as it gets over 50-60% of the retail price as I know I can buy at outlets for 30% off and the incremental saving is not worth the potential risk to me- also no matter how new someone describes a bag I feel if Im not the first owner then it should be a bigger discount. The only exception I would make it for older bags not available anywhere else when I would pay a hig price from a reputable seller such as auctionista or mulberrymad.Hope this helps?

Not very good at this sort of thing, but could do a BIN with a Best Offer for the best of both worlds. Did you have a look at similar completed listings to get an idea of price, if there are any? Are you sure you definitely want to sell though? Hope if you do sell it will go well. Best of luck.

I would NEVER start and auction for such an expensive item at 99p. Remember you pay extra to put a reserve price on!

I always start my auctions at a price that I would be happy to sell the item for should I only get 1 bid.

You have to remember as elvisfan4life has said - a lot of people know that you can get Mulberry bags at outlet so even though its a new season bag, you probably won't get more than outlet price for it.

Good luck.

That's a tough one ladycornflake, I'm in a similar predicament, however I agree with Ali that 99p is not the way forward. People who truly love and know Mulberry understand to pay for the real thing there has to be a real price particularly for a new bag.

Good luck with it.

Actually I think it depends on your attitude to risk. If you are risk averse, then list it on a buy it now best offer, or otherwise start it at 99p without reserve and let it find its own price. I rarely bid on anything with a reserve, and supposed statistics state that items with reserves generate less interest. A 99p start, may achieve you more than your BIN figure, but the risk is that it will sell for less. One can never tell, it all depends whose bidding on the day.

I hate reserve prices too - i tend to agree with Ali that you start the auction at what you would let it go for as a minimum....if it does not sell for that then you either re think or you are not happy to sell.....do be aware tho that the fees are quite a bit less for Buy It now than for auctions.....6% instead of 10% i think (tho check it out for yourslef) so maybe BIN is the way to go.

I agree with Jazzy ... though it can be quite nerve shattering to wait til the final minutes, which let's face it, is when most people do their big bidding.

I once put something on with a 99p start ... (not a bag may I just add!) & to be honest I wasnt 100% set on selling it. It did have a few bids, but not enough for me to want to sell it at that price. Im afraid I wimped out & ended the auction. I could possibly have lost out on lots of "lastminute.com" bidders as I call them .. but I couldnt take the risk as Im such a wuss :lol:

I hate reserve prices too - i tend to agree with Ali that you start the auction at what you would let it go for as a minimum....if it does not sell for that then you either re think or you are not happy to sell.....do be aware tho that the fees are quite a bit less for Buy It now than for auctions.....6% instead of 10% i think (tho check it out for yourslef) so maybe BIN is the way to go.

I think the BIN listing fee is higher than auction fees though. Ebay make their money one way or another ... mainly by allowing fakes at the moment, so it would seem :rolleyes:

Just checked on Ebay and we are both right - the insertion fee is higher for BIN but the final fee is lower....

For auctions the insertion fee is 15p up to £1.90 depending on the price you start at and the final fee is 10% of the sale price (very steep in my view)

For BIN the insertion fee is 40p and the final fee is:
9.9% of the first £49.99
then 5.9% of the rest of the price up to £600 then 1.9% of anything over 600, so variable according to final price but def cheaper if you are selling an expensive item like a Mulberry bag.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/fees.html#Auction
HTH