a lesson learned...anyone else ever do this?

Feb 8, 2007
hi all!
so, in june i began the search for my fall bag...i had a few "non-negotiables" about what the bag needed to have...i needed something lightweight (have fibromyalgia and can't carry heavy things), love hardware, it had to be durable fun and classic at the same time and have a shoulder strap...so, i got the tod's pashmy bauletta that i fell in love with in a magazine...then i think i had some kind of brain fart (oops) because i found the bag SO quickly that i should probably look around just to see what else was out there...so, i got a prada in nylon, then one in nylon and leather, then another in leather, then a burberry, then a ysl, then back to prada...i was beginning to think something wasn't quite right with me...after i got back last nite with another prada (all leather and gorgeous) i put my stuff in it and it was WAYY too heavy...so, this morning, back it went...(i think my SA must think i'm out of my mind, but, she's been amazing)...so, after much thought (and embarrassment) i went back to the original bag, the tod's pashmy bauletta in black nylon and patent leather, and will be getting it in a few days...moral of the story? when you fall in love with something, trust your judgement and KEEP IT!!!! thanks for letting me share and i'm just wondering if any of you see yourselves in this story!?!?!
:wlae::wlae::wlae::wlae::wlae::wlae::wlae:

ive had this with a pair of shoes, i saw them on sale for very cheap and thought nah, ill pass and look around, so in the meantime i had bought around 3 pairs and still wasnt completely happy, so a month later i ended up in town again and saw the shoes i fell in love with and i was SO happy to see them again, unfortunately they were full price again but i just couldnt pass on them again hahaha

god those are a lot of again's hahahaha
sorry for that! Anyhow i just remembered that the bag you see in my signature (the Tod's one) has the same story, i have been looking for it all over a year after i passed on it before coming to NZ and here no where to be found. Thank god i spotted one on Ebay (thanks to a lovely Tpf'r) and saving up to get it currently :biggrin:

Yup same thing has happened to me-I always think maybe I can "substitute" the very expensive bag with a cheaper one but in the end I am not happy until I get the original bag that I wanted so it actually cost me more! So yes, go with your gut!

I've changed my mind so many times about bags that it's ridiculous. I'll see a bag that's nice for a great price (one time it was a Bulga crescent bag at Nordstroms Rack), buy it more or less on impulse. I'll bring it home and then decide that maybe it's not quite right. So I need to look for something else. Then I'll go buy another bag. I may go through three or more purchases and returns. I think there may have been a time when I purchased a bag, returned it and then later bought it again. The lesson in that for me was that usually when I've returned something, there is a reason for it. Many times the bags I have bought and returned are ones that were on sale. I'd rather buy something and return it than not buy it and then go back looking for it and it's gone. Generally I like to purchase from B&M stores with fairly liberal return policies. But sometimes when I buy something that's a final sale, it's kind of a relief to know I won't be putting myself through all of this nonsense.

I usually do extensive research online and visit the stores a lot before I buy a bag, because I have to save up for it so I know its the one. I have to admit there have been times when I'll be like I wish I saw that one earlier, but I still stay with what I already got.

Yup same thing has happened to me-I always think maybe I can "substitute" the very expensive bag with a cheaper one but in the end I am not happy until I get the original bag that I wanted so it actually cost me more! So yes, go with your gut!

I agree with this totally. I wanted an LV Keepall so much, but I told myself it was too much to spend on a piece of luggage that I will not use that often. So I kept buying other carry on bags, hoping that I would love one of them. But I never felt the love and ended up selling all my carry on's and buying a pre-owned Keepall that I have loved and cherished from the moment I got it.
And for all the money I spent on the other bags, I could have bought a Keepall from the start. So I have learned not to even attempt to substitute.

I am weird and everytime I see something that I really like and not sure that I want to spend the money on it, I leave the store. If I am still thinking about it after a couple of days then I will go back for it!

I obessed over this bag that I just had to have. Had the picture of the bag bookmarked on my computer and looked at it daily. Then one day I hunted it down, called all the stores that might carry the bag, finally found it, then had it transfered to the store near me.

Today I fight traffic and downpouring rain, fed the parking meter too many quarters, and track down the SA who helped me over the phone. Only to find out the bag looks so much better online!

It was a very sad moment, how many hours did I pine away thinking about this bag? How many phone calls did I make for nothing. I was like seeing an ex-boyfriend and wondering what you ever saw in him, that is what seeing the bag was like. One big disappointment.