A (hopefully) riveting first-purchase tale (contains a reveal but no actual rivets)

Saaski

Feb 25, 2020
Hello all! Hope you're having a good day, regardless of time zone. I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Coach--designer items in general, really (it's a whole story on how things spiraled, but let's just say when I gain a new interest, I go hardcore. And... now I'm super invested). But as a newbie I have a tale (and reveal) that maybe you'll find to be a fun read :smile:

I'm going to start off with, well, I don't buy myself things very often. I was raised with a "do I need it/can I use it" minimalist mindset and while there's nothing wrong with that, it doesn't allow me to indulge in things that, "maybe it won't be the MOST useful thing, but I think it's really pretty and would make me happy to have."

But after stumbling upon the luxury and designer goods world and learning more about it; doing research and looking things up/watching youtube/reading this forum/calling various hotlines for information (did I mention invested?), well, it got me thinking about it, and thinking about just wanting something... nice. I never used to enjoy shopping at all, but I started to have fun just window shopping and seeing what was out there, looking for something that might be "for me." I liked Coach in particular, as a brand that was nice and good quality, but still reasonably affordable, depending.

I figured I would start small. I wanted to get a card holder anyway, so I searched for that first. I ended up falling in love with the bee print on a handbag I'd found on ebay, and so searched to find a small wallet in the style. And boy, did it take some searching. Ebay to poshmark to mecari, all different ways to search the keywords, but eventually I found a listing for a good price! And friends, the print is so cute.

m_5d0d724e8557afa9e223b859.jpg

I locked down the listing and eagerly awaited for my package to come in the mail. It arrived, hooray! And I opened it to find...

that the seller had thoughtfully included a little thank you card.

--and had not-as-thoughtfully packaged the bright pink card together with my pretty chalk card holder, resulting in a bright pink stain.

ALAS.

Luckily I was able to pretty clearly show the damage was the fault of the seller's packaging choices and send the item back and get a refund for my money. But what an upset.

It did end up being a bit of a blessing in disguise after some more thought, though. While I still think the print is super cute, I decided that I wanted a slim card holder over a zip-around. Further, I also decided to put the card holder search on hold, at least for the time being. I had really gotten to wanting a bag, you know? So I figured I'd use my energy (and funds) to look for a larger item to love.

(I did find a bag on ebay that I totally adored --the coach x NASA rocketship crossbody in chalk-- but I dithered, being uncertain about if I'd be able to use it based on sizing, and lost out. Curses! Follow your heart, friends.)

Regrets aside, I was going forward with a goal in mind, and it became kind of a treasure hunt. I continued to look online, but after reading about FP deletes (and not being too far from a Coach Outlet), I decided to venture out to see what I could find there. And wouldn't you know it, but that day, the outlet was carrying the Coach x Chelsea Champlain dreamer in signature canvas:

s-l1600.jpg

I hadn't heard of the Chelsea Champlain collaboration before, and I thought the bag was really beautiful. Not entirely my style though, with the signature and the tassels. I admired it and moved on, but learning about the collection made me want to see what else there was. More searching, and I came to admire three pieces in particular, all in evergreen:

the Dinky:
s-l500.jpg

the Callie clutch:
s-l1600.jpg

and, my favorite, the Dreamer:
s-l1600.jpg

I thought the patterns on these particular items were just beautiful, and, remembering that I'd seen the signature tattoo bag in a coach outlet store, I searched the coach outlet website. Their search system is TERRIBLE by the way (as I'm sure you all know), but I did end up finding dinky! On sale for 50% off, and, adding in a coupon I had for signing up my email, after tax and shipping the dinky would have been just $201.

But... I hesitated (I know, I know. But for a good reason, I mean it). The bag was nice, but a dinky just isn't really a bag that fits my lifestyle. On top of that, I was concerned over being able to use it due to the size and the kisslock. I watched several "what fits" videos, and even went to the coach store to look at dinky bag in person. It was so pretty... and I could make it work especially if I downsized my wallet (curses! still want that cardholder!)... and really, it's such a nice bag, I could see myself being happy just having it as a display piece. But I did want something I could use as well. I was very torn.

Now, in my newfound joy in window shopping for handbags and treasure hunting, I had also been going to various TJ Maxx's in my area, just because they're fun to look through. And the day after I discovered the dinky online, I had an appointment near one that was a touch farther away, but in a more upscale neighborhood so it also often had a nicer selection. I got lucky in my treasure hunt, finding several Coach items. Mostly wristlets and clutch wallets, but still fun to find as a surprise. I even found a small black and floral print shoulder bag which was cute, but not my style.

Then, as I looked through their crossbody bags, look what I found!

20200221_141918_HDR.jpg

The tattoo Callie! It was even nicer in person, and for $130(!!) before taxes. And yes, it was true, it was smaller than the dinky, but seeing it in person I also liked it better than the dinky, both in shape and design.

And, my friends, I make a decision. (Amazing.)

Clutching my new clutch, I decide to do just one last pass of the larger bags in store before I take my find to the register. TJ Maxx arranges them fairly well by color, so it can be fun just walking up and down the aisles. I got to the green section and glanced over the bags there--not paying too much attention because I'd already seen what the area had to offer and there weren't any that I cared to look too closely at again.

Except, there, in the very bottom back of the row that I had overlooked, was a particular green color that seemed very familiar...

20200221_144656_HDR.jpg

!!!!!

????

!!!!!

And like... okay... I'm not a total dummy. I can recognize a proper take the chance you fool moment. Especially after missing out on rocketship bag ;;

So that, my friends, is my long, winding tale of my first ever Coach purchases, and how I ended up with two gorgeous pieces for 66% off. If you stuck around for the whole read, I applaud you.

THE END.

That is an awesome find for TJ Maxx. So jealous!!

Hello all! Hope you're having a good day, regardless of time zone. I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Coach--designer items in general, really (it's a whole story on how things spiraled, but let's just say when I gain a new interest, I go hardcore. And... now I'm super invested). But as a newbie I have a tale (and reveal) that maybe you'll find to be a fun read :smile:

I'm going to start off with, well, I don't buy myself things very often. I was raised with a "do I need it/can I use it" minimalist mindset and while there's nothing wrong with that, it doesn't allow me to indulge in things that, "maybe it won't be the MOST useful thing, but I think it's really pretty and would make me happy to have."

But after stumbling upon the luxury and designer goods world and learning more about it; doing research and looking things up/watching youtube/reading this forum/calling various hotlines for information (did I mention invested?), well, it got me thinking about it, and thinking about just wanting something... nice. I never used to enjoy shopping at all, but I started to have fun just window shopping and seeing what was out there, looking for something that might be "for me." I liked Coach in particular, as a brand that was nice and good quality, but still reasonably affordable, depending.

I figured I would start small. I wanted to get a card holder anyway, so I searched for that first. I ended up falling in love with the bee print on a handbag I'd found on ebay, and so searched to find a small wallet in the style. And boy, did it take some searching. Ebay to poshmark to mecari, all different ways to search the keywords, but eventually I found a listing for a good price! And friends, the print is so cute.

m_5d0d724e8557afa9e223b859.jpg

I locked down the listing and eagerly awaited for my package to come in the mail. It arrived, hooray! And I opened it to find...

that the seller had thoughtfully included a little thank you card.

--and had not-as-thoughtfully packaged the bright pink card together with my pretty chalk card holder, resulting in a bright pink stain.

ALAS.

Luckily I was able to pretty clearly show the damage was the fault of the seller's packaging choices and send the item back and get a refund for my money. But what an upset.

It did end up being a bit of a blessing in disguise after some more thought, though. While I still think the print is super cute, I decided that I wanted a slim card holder over a zip-around. Further, I also decided to put the card holder search on hold, at least for the time being. I had really gotten to wanting a bag, you know? So I figured I'd use my energy (and funds) to look for a larger item to love.

(I did find a bag on ebay that I totally adored --the coach x NASA rocketship crossbody in chalk-- but I dithered, being uncertain about if I'd be able to use it based on sizing, and lost out. Curses! Follow your heart, friends.)

Regrets aside, I was going forward with a goal in mind, and it became kind of a treasure hunt. I continued to look online, but after reading about FP deletes (and not being too far from a Coach Outlet), I decided to venture out to see what I could find there. And wouldn't you know it, but that day, the outlet was carrying the Coach x Chelsea Champlain dreamer in signature canvas:

s-l1600.jpg

I hadn't heard of the Chelsea Champlain collaboration before, and I thought the bag was really beautiful. Not entirely my style though, with the signature and the tassels. I admired it and moved on, but learning about the collection made me want to see what else there was. More searching, and I came to admire three pieces in particular, all in evergreen:

the Dinky:
s-l500.jpg

the Callie clutch:
s-l1600.jpg

and, my favorite, the Dreamer:
s-l1600.jpg

I thought the patterns on these particular items were just beautiful, and, remembering that I'd seen the signature tattoo bag in a coach outlet store, I searched the coach outlet website. Their search system is TERRIBLE by the way (as I'm sure you all know), but I did end up finding dinky! On sale for 50% off, and, adding in a coupon I had for signing up my email, after tax and shipping the dinky would have been just $201.

But... I hesitated (I know, I know. But for a good reason, I mean it). The bag was nice, but a dinky just isn't really a bag that fits my lifestyle. On top of that, I was concerned over being able to use it due to the size and the kisslock. I watched several "what fits" videos, and even went to the coach store to look at dinky bag in person. It was so pretty... and I could make it work especially if I downsized my wallet (curses! still want that cardholder!)... and really, it's such a nice bag, I could see myself being happy just having it as a display piece. But I did want something I could use as well. I was very torn.

Now, in my newfound joy in window shopping for handbags and treasure hunting, I had also been going to various TJ Maxx's in my area, just because they're fun to look through. And the day after I discovered the dinky online, I had an appointment near one that was a touch farther away, but in a more upscale neighborhood so it also often had a nicer selection. I got lucky in my treasure hunt, finding several Coach items. Mostly wristlets and clutch wallets, but still fun to find as a surprise. I even found a small black and floral print shoulder bag which was cute, but not my style.

Then, as I looked through their crossbody bags, look what I found!

View attachment 4675673

The tattoo Callie! It was even nicer in person, and for $130(!!) before taxes. And yes, it was true, it was smaller than the dinky, but seeing it in person I also liked it better than the dinky, both in shape and design.

And, my friends, I make a decision. (Amazing.)

Clutching my new clutch, I decide to do just one last pass of the larger bags in store before I take my find to the register. TJ Maxx arranges them fairly well by color, so it can be fun just walking up and down the aisles. I got to the green section and glanced over the bags there--not paying too much attention because I'd already seen what the area had to offer and there weren't any that I cared to look too closely at again.

Except, there, in the very bottom back of the row that I had overlooked, was a particular green color that seemed very familiar...

View attachment 4675672

!!!!!

????

!!!!!

And like... okay... I'm not a total dummy. I can recognize a proper take the chance you fool moment. Especially after missing out on rocketship bag ;;

So that, my friends, is my long, winding tale of my first ever Coach purchases, and how I ended up with two gorgeous pieces for 66% off. If you stuck around for the whole read, I applaud you.

THE END.

Seriously! My TJ Maxx does not have anything. I found a 2016 Coach wallet in TJ Maxx in a downtown Philly, PA store, but that's it! Those are some bargains. I love Chelsea items.

It really depends on the TJ Maxx and the location, I've found. The one closet to me is nice enough, but the "higher end" items are mostly Michael Kors, the occasional Kate Spade. I think I've seen a Coach wristlet maybe twice? But this one... now I know where to go, that's for sure.

Well if this wasn't divine intervention from the universe telling you that you had to have these items, I don't know what is! Beautiful choices!