A Cautionary Tale

I don’t really have any more advice than the lovelies above have posted....I’d do as Bisoux78 says & get quotes from other places. I do feel your pain. The pic of your Boy is GORGEOUS & I’m sorry it didn’t work out. I did enjoy reading your story though ...you should be a writer (if you aren’t already!) Best Luck!
That is such a kind, kind compliment, thank you!

Reactions: Kendie26
I too have been in that same situation.....argh!! I try to save on other things in my life, so I feel better about it, but it still stings! Because my bags are in mint condition, I have started selling bags to a wonderful consignment place.....OPULENT FINDS. She sells them for what we paid retail, so while there is a loss....it’s not as bad as FP or Yoogies. I have also sold items through Ann’s fabulous finds and they are great as well. Try some other options.

I bought the reissue 225 all black in chevron a few months ago, and it’s a beauty! I hope you love your new bag even more and use her
Wow! Thanks so much for the tip! I'm going to check OF out, for sure!

I fell in love with the reissue from earlier this year - it was a metallic charcoal gray with GHW. My Saks had one, but the flap was damaged inside. I had just purchased my other two bags and my husband clearly thought there was a problem if I purchased a third Chanel. You have to realize, I told him if I bought the Boy, I would “never, ever need to get another Chanel for the REST of my life- I’ll be one and done.” [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Then a few months later I stumbled on the light gold color through TPF and told him I NEEDED it, because, well, the So Black doesn’t go with my Lilly dresses, duh! ‍♀️

Oh my gah, seriously, we're supes similar. My poor husband had to hear about that boy bag for a year and a half before I found it. And of course I said the same thing: it's the only Chanel bag I've ever liked! I'll never need another bag! I can pass it on to our kids!..." So you can imagine how pleased he is about this whole thing. Ha!

I used to carry mostly Chloe, it was more my vibe at the time (little kids, needed lots of stuff) and then moved on to BV and Chanel. My very favorite bag as far as being user friendly is my rather beat up old Celine nano.That thing can carry an insane amount of junk and it takes a lickin. I once went on a field trip to the zoo with my wee one and a fellow mom said "i just have to tell you I appreciate that you're bringing your Celine bag to the zoo..." like I'm nuts. I was like "If I'm spending the money on it, I'm using it!".

I was in the exact same situation except with a 227 reissue. Bought new from Chanel a year ago bc I fell in love with the chevron and so-black hw. I used it rarely as it never felt quite right as it was sheepskin (so more structured) and in my head I wanted aged calf for my reissue. It was a majestic piece and turned heads when I wore it but I wanted the more low-key vibe of aged calf.

Last month, I came across this exact combo from 18A with aged calf chevron so-black. I bit the bullet, lost US$1500 for my 17A reissue and bought the new one at the current price (US$1000 more than what I paid in 2017). All because of the leather (everything else was exactly the same!)

Yes it was a very expensive mistake/lesson and it really hurts to think about this. But now I have purse peace with this bag and I’m truly happy every time I use it (instead of this naggy feeling trying to convince myself to love my old bag). And I hope my oldreissue goes to someone who truly loves her (bc she really is very beautiful).

Sorry to go on for so long but just wanted to share my story. Also to say, don’t feel too bad, many of us make similar mistakes/share same regrets. :hugs:

I almost bought that exact same bag, just in the 226 size. Loved the chevron, loved the black HW. But I couldn’t bite the bullet. I told myself it was because I have a 226 in the aged calf and couldn’t justify two black 226s. But I think it was also because the chevron was so stiff, I couldn’t warm up to it.

And I know that naggy feeling — I have it with the dark blue reissue I mentioned above. Thanks for sharing your story — it’s good to know you can get over the financial pain and be happy with the bag you ultimately got!

I have to agree with this, as painful as it is. I'm in design and I see it a lot with homes: sometimes people spend a ton of dough on something, only to hate it. I know it's hard to "throw good money after bad" but if it's an option for you, you can move on and learn from it, while having what actually feels right.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Reactions: eckw
Well, my bag in this category is a Reissue, not a Boy, but the theme is the same.

I got this bag in 2013 new from the boutique for $5,300 + tax. Got it because it was larger than my 226 and I thought the color would suit my wardrobe and casual lifestyle better than black.

Boy, was I wrong. I’ve had the bag for 5 years and would be shocked if I’ve worn it more than 10 times. I got quotes from Yoogi’s and Fashionphile a couple of years ago and they were so low, I just couldn’t do it. I’ll tell myself to just wear it and see if I can make it work. Then I’ll wear it once and it will go back in it’s box.

The worst thing is, I’m not even sure exactly why it doesn’t work for me, but it doesn’t. And it’s become clear that’s not going to change.

I haven’t sold it (at least, not yet), but my thinking is starting to go like this:
- So what if I spent a bunch of money five years ago? Sunk costs are irrelevant. If I sold the bag, what would I use the money for now?
- What are the chances I will want to use the bag in the future? If I never developed a love for it, what makes me think I will now? What is the chance I’ll miss the bag and regret selling it?
- Of course I’m not going to make a lot of money back on this bag. For one thing, it’s 5 years old. Even if it’s in impeccable condition, for the buyer this is not a new bag. And it’s a reissue, not a classic flap. If I’m being honest with myself, I would not pay full price for this bag. Whoever buys it would do so in part because they’d know they were getting a good deal.

So that’s where I’m at. If I obeyed the advice I give others on tPF, I would have sold and moved on from this bag a long time ago. But getting a low offer stings. So I’m still on the fence, but starting to slide over to the selling side.

Also, when I have sold a bag, I find it’s easier when I’ve made the decision to sell before I get a quote, rather than getting the quote and then deciding whether or not to sell. Somehow my intentions feel more clear that way.

I hope my rambling helps in some way!

It really, really does help!

Totally agree with you on your thought process. You aren't going to suddenly start loving it, even if it's only because of the built up feelings about it.
Just like I know that I'm not going to suddenly decide that my bag is so much easier to use. Le sigh.

Hello friends! It's been a looooong time since I posted, but I sure could use some thoughts, and I'm wondering if anyone has done the same (misery loves company, ha!). This is the best place to share because no one really "gets it" like fellow handbag junkies. :smile:

So-
About three years ago, I fell in love with my first Chanel, ever. I had a deep, deep obsession - and truly, I was obsessed - with finding and owning a 14B, Old Medium, Black Caviar Boy Bag with BRONZE ANTIQUE hardware. I capitalize that part because there was absolutely no substitution for me. It had. to be. bronze. You guys know how it is...

No
other
combo
would
do

I would think of all the outfits I would wear with her. I loved that she was sort of rockstar and casual while still being a Chanel. I thought: I will wear this bag every single day (I'm not a person that buys a bag without expecting full, every day use - though I don't judge those that want to keep them for special occasions only!).

After about a year of searching, I found her. And I bought her. For about $1000 over retail. OOf.
Which hurt, a lot, but I was so over the moon because the bag was so scarce.

View attachment 4186939

Fast forward past the part where I opened her up and gazed at her and swung her around the room and named her and slept with her and...

KIDDING - about *some* of that

I've owned her for about two years now - and I barely carry it.

It's not a particulary user friendly bag. I think maybe it's the caviar? Which I know is the "good" caviar, but it makes the bag so stiff - which is nice to retain shape, but not awesome for use. It's rather heartbreaking. I have such a love/hate for it now. It's beautiful to look at but, when I look at it, I think, how can I look at you when you've let me down?

Where is this all going?

Well, this past weekend, I stumbled across a SA that showed me a sneak peek of the lovely quilted so black reissue for fall and it was instant lurve. It's the first time in a long time I've wanted a bag. Annnnd the obsession begins again. So I make plans to make her mine and prepare (with a heavy heart) to let my original love go (it doesn't make sense for me to own 2 such very expensive bags).

So - I send in to get a quote from Fashionphile annnnnd: $2700.

Now, I didn't expect to get back what I paid, but c'mon!! Right? Maybe I'm too emotionally tied?

I'm too scared to sell on my own, as all the horror stories freak me out. So - now I'm left with the option of 'something is better than nothing' - and owning a bag that I use but taking an enormous hit OR holding on to my BB and making a real tried and true effort to use it more often.

So that's my story, friends. If you see yourself in any of this, I would love to hear your story! At the very least, maaaaybe it'll make you think twice when obsessing over your own unicorn. ;)

xo

I sold one Hermès and one Chanel on eBay, both had no problem. Just pay attention to buyers’ ratings and the kind of questions they ask. Set the price at what you think the bag is worth. For this cutie I don’t think it will be hard to sell. Good luck!

I forgot to post my update!
This doll arrived.
I packed up my boy and off to Ann’s it went with nary a tear. [emoji6]
View attachment 4199912View attachment 4199913

Your reissue is beautiful and looks great on you! I’m kind of afraid to see this one in person because I’m afraid I’ll want it! Congrats also on deciding to let go of a bag you weren’t in love with — I’m sure its next owner will be very excited to get it!

Reactions: LibJames and Ramai
I sold one Hermès and one Chanel on eBay, both had no problem. Just pay attention to buyers’ ratings and the kind of questions they ask. Set the price at what you think the bag is worth. For this cutie I don’t think it will be hard to sell. Good luck!
Thank you! I might decide to go that route!

I forgot to post my update!
This doll arrived.
I packed up my boy and off to Ann’s it went with nary a tear. [emoji6]
View attachment 4199912View attachment 4199913

Congratulations on your new 2.55! I think you did the right thing by letting the Boy go. I also think that you made a smart choice to consign with AFF rather then selling outright, if you do not need the money right away. As someone who has bought, sold, and traded many handbags to get exactly what I like, I can tell you that a handbag education was an expensive one. From personal experience and observation I can also say that for the majority of people reissue is much more user friendly and easier in use than the Boy bag. Too many times people get seduced by the media hype and the myth that Chanel bags are “perfect purses that really hold their value on the resale market.” That is not the reality. Expensive does not mean perfect, comfortable, and age proof. And 99% of the time, unless someone is a reputable reseller, there will be a rather large financial loss when letting go of a handbag. People need to set their expectations for what these purses truly are: expensive handbags, which are meant to be used and worn, and eventually age, which means show some ware and tear in leather and structure. Wearing your bag and embracing the natural ware and tear makes the experience of owning and using your expansive bag very satisfying. Hope you will ware your new bag in good health and will get the most out of using and enjoying the bag getting older as you use it.