A BV mystery, of sorts...

Oct 17, 2007
I wasn't sure if this thread belongs here, in Shopping, or possibly even in the authenticate thread...so mods please move at your discretion! :smile:

I went tonight to my local TJMaxx, which has a runway section. I was surpised to see the veneta below there for $1999. I don't know how much it retailed for, but I saw a cabat with this same treatment at the Worth Ave. boutique a couple of weeks ago and was really drawn to it...so I started looking this bag over.

About a minute into looking at it, I noticed something I thought was really weird (and I hope I can explain this correctly). On both inner sides of the handles, from where the zipper begins/ends up to where the weave stops being woven and the leather becomes solid, the seam was exposed.

What I mean by this is that on all the venetas I've seen, there are no raw edges of the seam visible on the handles--the two "right" sides of the leather are sewn together and the "raw" seam is inside the handle. I took a couple of pictures to try to explain.

The first picture is what you see when looking at that part of the handle--you see the stitching out in the open. The second pic shows what the raw edge looked like--and there even looked like some yellowed glue holding it together.

Otherwise, the bag appeared to be in very good condition. No signs of being carried, pristine interior, some spots on the handle that could have been shelf wear, but fine overall. Pocket tag looked right, had care card in envelope. Had dustbag. No mirror, but that could have been stolen at some point. The control card was there, but did have an "F" above the row of numbers (neither my veneta nor my campana have that).

What in the world do you think is going on with this bag? It really looked horrible! I can't imagine BV letting something like that out of the factory...and I can't really come up with a good explaination otherwise!

(and thanks to my hubby for patiently holding the bag for pics...he's a really good sport :biggrin:)

Attachments

• 2013-01-12_17-13-29_506.jpg
    2013-01-12_17-13-29_506.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 471
  • 2013-01-12_17-13-03_278.jpg
    2013-01-12_17-13-03_278.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 2013-01-12_17-12-43_94.jpg
    2013-01-12_17-12-43_94.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 470
Thanks India, kiss_p, and septembersiren for trying to help me get to the bottom of this.

Unfortunately, you can't see the seams well enough in the picture from NM.

Septembersiren, after doing a little more research, I now know the treatment that I saw at Worth Ave. a couple of weeks ago (and is on this bag) is called effiloche...I agree the veneta itself (and the effiloche treatment) is lovely, however my concern is not about the treatment, but the how the seams on the handles are sewn. :smile:

Hopefully someone with this bag can weigh in....anyone?

You know, considering how the bag was made ... this may be how it had to be done, because of the ending of the seam location. You do know that every bag is handmade -.

The only thing I could suggest is to e-mail your photo to your BV SA and see what they think, if nobody here has actually purchased this bag and can chime in.

Otherwise - ? Are you buying the bag? Or?

Hi India!

I don't know if I'm buying the bag or not... :shrugs:

If this is actually the way they were made, then probably no--I think it looks bad enough that I wouldn't want to carry it. If this was a repair, or there was some other explaination, I'd proably be willing to buy and take to BV to see if they could send it out to be fixed.

I left it there last night with the idea that I would check with all of you, and if it was meant to be, it would be there when I went back. I also wasn't sure if the $1999 was a good buy--based on the NM link, it looks like NM had marked this bag down quite a bit more (but of course, it's not available now, so that's kind of a moot point).

Papertiger, that's an interesting theory about the "F"...does anyone else remember seeing an F on any of their control cards?

Hi India!

I don't know if I'm buying the bag or not... :shrugs:

If this is actually the way they were made, then probably no--I think it looks bad enough that I wouldn't want to carry it. If this was a repair, or there was some other explaination, I'd proably be willing to buy and take to BV to see if they could send it out to be fixed.

I left it there last night with the idea that I would check with all of you, and if it was meant to be, it would be there when I went back. I also wasn't sure if the $1999 was a good buy--based on the NM link, it looks like NM had marked this bag down quite a bit more (but of course, it's not available now, so that's kind of a moot point).

Papertiger, that's an interesting theory about the "F"...does anyone else remember seeing an F on any of their control cards?
You know, I'm wondering about that 'repair' idea too - (what the heck happened? Was it used as a weapon? :thinking:)

We've got some heavy-duty BV women here, hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

LT BAG LADY!!!!!! BOXERMOM! SOMEBODY!

Wow...nice sleuthing lkweh! I'd still like double confirmation if anyone here owns this bag, but looks like I'm going to take a pass on it.

If anyone else is interested, it's at the TJMaxx in Newton, MA. Probably of less interest to you folks (and not my thing, but worth mentioning), they also had a medium Givenchy Pandora in apricot pepe leather for $719.

Thanks ladies, I knew I could count on you!!!

I saw something on the news about fake bvs getting into tjmaxx or Marshall's or something. I would contact bv and ask for the full story. You could email them and ask for the lowdown. Curious.....