30 Montaigne Chain Bag vs Chanel Flap Bags in Medium Size?

Which one in general do you choose?

• Dior 30 Montaigne Chain Bag

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Chanel Medium Flap Bag

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Chanel Medium Boy Bag

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

LadyRabbit

Apr 7, 2020
Hi everyone, there has been a question ringing in my head for these past few weeks. Quick story, I went to the Dior boutique and saw the 30 Montaigne Chain Bag in Grained Calfskin, Black Color. I tried it on, I love it, but I remember Chanel also has flap bags.

Now, what are your opinions on the Dior 30 Montaigne vs the Chanel Boy Bag or Classic Flap in medium? In terms of quality, daily wear, chain on shoulder comfort, wear & tear, longevity, etc.

Like they both have chains on the strap, they both come in Gold or Silver Hardware, Chanel has the long-wearing caviar and Dior has the grained calfskin but again, what are your opinions on these 3 wonderful flap bags? Honestly, I'm alright with both Lambskin or Caviar finish.

I appreciate it so much for you guys answering this thread. Look forward to hearing from you all soon!

LadyRabbit
dior 30 montaigne chain bag black.jpegchanel lambskin black medium gold hardware.jpegchanel boy bag medium .jpeg

Hi everyone, there has been a question ringing in my head for these past few weeks. Quick story, I went to the Dior boutique and saw the 30 Montaigne Chain Bag in Grained Calfskin, Black Color. I tried it on, I love it, but I remember Chanel also has flap bags.

Now, what are your opinions on the Dior 30 Montaigne vs the Chanel Boy Bag or Classic Flap in medium? In terms of quality, daily wear, chain on shoulder comfort, wear & tear, longevity, etc.

Like they both have chains on the strap, they both come in Gold or Silver Hardware, Chanel has the long-wearing caviar and Dior has the grained calfskin but again, what are your opinions on these 3 wonderful flap bags? Honestly, I'm alright with both Lambskin or Caviar finish.

I appreciate it so much for you guys answering this thread. Look forward to hearing from you all soon!

LadyRabbit
View attachment 4896893View attachment 4896894View attachment 4896895
Dior's grained leather is very durable. I find that it feels more like Hermes' Epsom leather. Dior's quality is stellar as well. The lining of the 30Montaigne is leather as well, unlike the Boy which is lined with canvas.

The only con is that the 30Montaigne is relatively new, so its longevity is nowhere near that of the two Chanel bags.

Still, if you like the design more, then longevity shouldn't weigh heavily into the decision. Sometimes people buy a bag because it is classic over a bag that is more seasonal, but their heart is still set on the seasonal version because it was what spoke to them first. They end up not liking their bag as much as if they got the one that they wanted originally.

While I’m a Dior lover by heart, if you don’t already have a classic flap then that’s get my vote. It’s a timeless piece that a handbag lover should have in their collection plus the Chanel price increases are just insane so get it b4 the next increase.

Reactions: LadyRabbit
Dior's grained leather is very durable. I find that it feels more like Hermes' Epsom leather. Dior's quality is stellar as well. The lining of the 30Montaigne is leather as well, unlike the Boy which is lined with canvas.

The only con is that the 30Montaigne is relatively new, so its longevity is nowhere near that of the two Chanel bags.

Still, if you like the design more, then longevity shouldn't weigh heavily into the decision. Sometimes people buy a bag because it is classic over a bag that is more seasonal, but their heart is still set on the seasonal version because it was what spoke to them first. They end up not liking their bag as much as if they got the one that they wanted originally.

Thank you so much for answering! I Appreciate it, especially knowing the difference with the lining, plus the leather being similair with the epson leather from Hermes.

Reactions: averagejoe
While I’m a Dior lover by heart, if you don’t already have a classic flap then that’s get my vote. It’s a timeless piece that a handbag lover should have in their collection plus the Chanel price increases are just insane so get it b4 the next increase.

Hi thanks so much for answering! Yes I do agree the Chanel Classic Flap is just timeless, and yess the price increase is just wow, so better sooner than later.

My vote is for the Chanel if you do not have a Chanel classic flap yet. The 30 Montaigne Chain bag is beautiful but the longevity of Dior bags is not as good compared to Chanel. I have the Diorama bag which is the previous iteration of the 30 Montaigne Chain bag (similar flap and chain style, just without the logo), and even though I love it still, if I wanted to resell it ever, I wouldn't get very much for it at all, whereas my Chanel classics will hold its value.

I agree with @Greentea that the quality of Dior is more aligned with the prices that it charges. Chanel prices are crazy but you don't get the impeccable quality.

Reactions: LadyRabbit
I will not personally buy new Chanel anymore. The quality has declined and can't hold a candle to my ten year old pieces and the prices have hit nearly Hermes level. Dior is expensive but the craftsmanship echos the price and it's so much more competitive than Chanel. Also - I love the 30 Montaigne!

Thank you for answering! I did hear some bad stories on Chanel's quality, also the crazy price tag on them, yess they are hitting the Hermes level. Like seriously the price vs the quality that we get as customers is so not worth it. Plus, their sales associates are not that friendly or helpful most times. I prefer shopping more at Dior. Hence why I have more items from Dior rather than Chanel.
Once again thank you for your answer! :smile:

My vote is for the Chanel if you do not have a Chanel classic flap yet. The 30 Montaigne Chain bag is beautiful but the longevity of Dior bags is not as good compared to Chanel. I have the Diorama bag which is the previous iteration of the 30 Montaigne Chain bag (similar flap and chain style, just without the logo), and even though I love it still, if I wanted to resell it ever, I wouldn't get very much for it at all, whereas my Chanel classics will hold its value.

I agree with @Greentea that the quality of Dior is more aligned with the prices that it charges. Chanel prices are crazy but you don't get the impeccable quality.

True the resale value for Dior bags are not so good. To be honest, I think right now with Chanel price increases, and also not so good quality for their bags, it's better getting a second hand vintage Chanel that has better quality than their new releases. Thank you for answering the thread. :smile: