2024 Resolution: Shopping my own Bag and SLG Collection

I need event advice

I'm going to a wedding late May, hopefully DH can go too. DH will be wearing a lightweight Aquascutum grey wool/cashmere suit with Gucci shoes in green and grey.

The dress-code is cocktail dress/lounge suit, most guests apart from large families either side will be in finance, education, beauty or fashion industry. I'm wondering how creative I can go, I certainly don't want to take anything away from the bride, the good thing is the bride (friend/colleague) is dramatically stylish, even her mother is a fashion designer so I don't think there's any chance of upstaging.

My bag will be a Balmain Jolie Madame bag. It's a very annoying bag to get anything in and out of but I'm determined to wear it for something. The bag fits much less than it looks. I've worn it to an Italian restaurant, basically it's fine with just keys, card and phone, and that's all that fits.

View attachment 5979194

I intend to dance given any opportunity at all.

So far my choices would be:

Look 1. High-camp, 'Roxy Music neon glamour' in a bright fuchsia/black polka-dot strapless (hidden corset) knee-length silk dress. Maybe with silver/black glam platforms. Drawback, I don't know what to wear as a jacket coz I couldn't get hold of the Saint Laurent cropped jacket from last season. I have a vintage 1980s cropped Torrente Couture jacket but it's sliver and black velvet, a bit 'holiday' and could be too warm. I know there's a bit of ghw on the bag so I'd have to turn it round. Maybe the whole thing's a bit kitsch and/or a bit Wintry? Maybe a bit 'bitty'. I need tights too because the skirt faux-wraps, but can open out.

Look 2. 'Dancing with the Stars': Swirly pattern, salmon-pink/bronze/light olive 'changeant' silk chiffon fit/flare dress with pleated bodice and shoestring straps. Separate matching scarf. Not sure shoes, but I do have a pair of bright red Gucci (T-bar heel) Bettys. The bag doesn't really go with this, so I'd wear a gold Gucci Romy evening clutch. This is the most conventional choice, I may die of boredom and my feet could hurt.

Look 3. Marlene X Madonna. Dolce & Gabbana black corset suit, with either a nude Dolce & Gabbana corset body under that looks like underwear OR vintage Lacroix cream silk satin blouse. HUGE vintage Lacroix earrings, some sort of platform/wedge shoes. I could buy a red roses and polkadot silk scarf from Balmain for my hair to 'femme' it up a bit. There are no drawbacks except I'll have to get sweaty dancing in my beautiful shirt and/or jacket. Not sure my body is up to hanging out in a corset in front of a room full of strangers!

Any other looks or suggestions for the looks above?

I have like no imagination so I'm not great at visualizing but I like the sound of 1 and 3 the best.
I was thinking about how much we fuss over occasion outfits, the pressure to fit in, obey all the rules and not lose our own identity is like a complex algebraic equation.

Haha, my husband and I are going to a wedding this week and we were kind of fussing about that as well. 9We found out that the weather is crazy this week. Chilly today, in the 80s (F) for the next 3 days, then chilly again and then rain.) So, it would be quite chilly (chilly for southern California lol), on the day of the wedding and then 35-45% chance of rain the next day.
So my husband was like, how about you wear this white blazer over your dress...and I was like....no white dear, it's a wedding....😑. And for the past month we were discussing on personal style vs trying not to stand out too much or outshine the bride. Hahaha, a lot to think about or may just over thinking. :P

:hugs:Thank you.

Lots of food for thought here.

I'm worried that it may be a hot room on a hot day and won't be able to peel off. I suppose that's the drawback of planning ahead so far in advance. I haven't quite got into Summer mode yet. I remember last year I was pretty hot in my Saint Laurent Le Smoking around late May, and that was (supposedly) Summer weight. I could wear a suit jacket over a dress and then take off the jacket when I dance.
Weather has been very odd lately in Southern California, for being in spring. It's been fluctuating a lot from nights of 40s and highs of 60s to nights of 60s and highs of 80s. But I am glad to give a bit more love to some of my fall/winter pieces since colder weather is harder to come by here.

TBH, I'm not sure I have navy dress apart from a full-length formal gown and that's a bit too far removed from the dress-code.

Everyone's different. Some buy new for every event, some people have one party dress and that's what they wear to everything. I think we always imagine others know more than us. There's a fear that everyone will get some specific memo, but the dress-code is usually about levels of formality - except when there's a theme. The word 'formal' 'full-length' and 'gown' at one extreme (bags go tiny/mini/micro) end and 'come as you are' at the other. It's the middle-layers that are trickier IMO. Themes are even more difficult to get right. I almost recoil when someone chooses a theme for their wedding.
Haha, I am wearing a navy dress to my friend's upcoming wedding! It's funny because I posted 2 dresses on IG and it was my friend who made the choice and I was like, okay, I have approval from my friend, no one can complain. :lol:

@papertiger btw, best wishes to your husband's ongoing treatment! I hope that it goes well and that he takes it easy!

I have like no imagination so I'm not great at visualizing but I like the sound of 1 and 3 the best.

Haha, my husband and I are going to a wedding this week and we were kind of fussing about that as well. 9We found out that the weather is crazy this week. Chilly today, in the 80s (F) for the next 3 days, then chilly again and then rain.) So, it would be quite chilly (chilly for southern California lol), on the day of the wedding and then 35-45% chance of rain the next day.
So my husband was like, how about you wear this white blazer over your dress...and I was like....no white dear, it's a wedding....😑. And for the past month we were discussing on personal style vs trying not to stand out too much or outshine the bride. Hahaha, a lot to think about or may just over thinking. :P

Weather has been very odd lately in Southern California, for being in spring. It's been fluctuating a lot from nights of 40s and highs of 60s to nights of 60s and highs of 80s. But I am glad to give a bit more love to some of my fall/winter pieces since colder weather is harder to come by here.

Haha, I am wearing a navy dress to my friend's upcoming wedding! It's funny because I posted 2 dresses on IG and it was my friend who made the choice and I was like, okay, I have approval from my friend, no one can complain. :lol:

@papertiger btw, best wishes to your husband's ongoing treatment! I hope that it goes well and that he takes it easy!

Thank you :hugs:

Yup, maybe I'm planning too early, who knows what the weather will be like in two months time. The weather here is still quite chilly for April. I went out without a coat on today because it looked so sunny (for a minute) and 🥶

Have a wonderful time, I'm sure you will both look splendid! Navy is always a tasteful choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: lill_canele
Hello All,

First, I want to say thanks to all who expressed concern/well wishes in the 2023 thread over me losing my job. The good news - I secured a position that is both a promotion & significantly more money.

Second, since I am now going in the office & out in the world more, I am rotating through my collection more. Although I have no interest in downsizing, I do want to move out items that no longer suit me.

Since I am woefully behind, I probably won’t spam the thread with color week pics. But I will share some of the new goodies I have purchased - I’ve fallen hard for the denim trend.
Congrats! Am so happy for you! Looking forward to seeing your fun eye candy too! :drinks:

Behind on the Color Weeks - again!

My Cream and Whites from 2021 IMG_5120.jpeg
And this year only one remaining! The LV Graceful was purchased last year and I am very happy with it!
IMG_5158.jpeg

My Browns!
From 2020
IMG_5121.jpeg

This year with a couple new additions! The Gucci ‘Kelly’ (which I love and she’s wearing an H Jungle Love Stamped twilly) and the Howl & Hide Parkway Saddlebag. IMG_5159.jpeg

(I have another brown vintage Gucci on the way - I think it will be perfect for summer!)

Behind on the Color Weeks - again!

My Cream and Whites from 2021 View attachment 5980214
And this year only one remaining! The LV Graceful was purchased last year and I am very happy with it!
View attachment 5980212

My Browns!
From 2020
View attachment 5980213

This year with a couple new additions! The Gucci ‘Kelly’ (which I love and she’s wearing an H Jungle Love Stamped twilly) and the Howl & Hide Parkway Saddlebag. View attachment 5980215

(I have another brown vintage Gucci on the way - I think it will be perfect for summer!)
I love the change in bags. So many lovely bags. Just wanted to wish your sister a speedy recovery.

But when I look at the "old" bags, I still love them. But using them is a different matter altogether.
It's the evolution of the value you derive from the bags (from any collecting hobby, really). Some people keep their wedding dress for decades even though they won't wear it again. Sentimental value is as valid as other more utilitarian ones.
If you have the storage, keep them and maybe display in a way that you can see them to remind you of good memories - this contributes to your well being. <-- my situation.

I am a natural curator (purger is probably more accurate; I like stuff, but I don’t like clutter). However, i realized I was trying to do too much at one time under way more strict rules than I normally would have.
I’ve said a thousand times on this forum that I will never own more than 35 bags. With 3 to be sold, 4 in question and 2 being novelty minaudieres, I’ll be well under that in a short amount of time.

My perspective on bag count has radically changed as I’ve realized…

1) I must have more variety. :panic:Similar to @msd_bags, I tire of bags - even if I really like them - if they can’t be rested for a period of time.
2) I have quite a bit of regret over past sales of great bags I should have been more patient with.
3) Handbag quality is tanking. :crybaby:So, I’m aggressively snapping up older or vintage bags that have the unique design and high quality construction, leathers and hardware I love.
4) I no longer give a rat’s rumptooty 🐀 about selecting a bag for good resale value, “classic” styling, brand caché, or any other extrinsic reason. I want solely what I want: high personality bags off the beaten path. 😂

Given this, I’ve bought 10 bags over the past two weeks.:giggle: All are quite different from each other and range from 40+ years old to new and from $40 to $4500. :shrugs: It’s all about what makes me happy! I’ll share pics once I make the final decisions on what’s staying. :tup:

If I decide to get rid of more of my current bags, I’ll buy the sparkly Chanel. (I admit, half of me is hoping someone else buys it so I don’t have to be an adult and actually make a decision.)
Oh my parents are borderline hoarders. :lol: I don't blame them of course. They are immigrants and the mentality to save for a rainy day is very deeply rooted. (I just quietly sneak things out to donate or toss when they're not looking and tbh, they never notice.)
But growing up in a similar situation like yours, I feel for you. With my bag collection being at 13, I feel like I'm pushing it just a little bit. 15 feels like my max. And I won't give away or sell bags that were gifts, just something I can't bring myself to do lol.

I'm glad you black C jumbo found a purpose! :tup:I hope to find more of a purpose in my CF. Hopefully soon!
I agree. My parents had me late in life and experienced a much harsher world. So they learned to keep everything. I grew up living with the “everything” along with getting constant admonishment to not waste. I hooked onto the last part. I never waste but that’s because I glare menacingly at any “stuff” that threatens to cross my threshold. I just prefer neat, well organized, well designed, deeply welcoming spaces. No extra stuff. No clutter. Just pretty possessions with purpose. :lol:
Sorry, I haven't been around. DH is abroad for treatment so I've just been working and clearing-up whilst he's away. He's in good hands (his brother is a doctor).

I've been using some great 'shopping in my closet' bags. Today, a black leather gucci shopper/travel bag, very light for its size and so strong. I bought it in 2009 and it still looks amazing. I have a feeling it may be a reissue of an old '50s bag, it's just too well thought out, purposeful and well designed to be Gucci-after-Gucci.

View attachment 5978988

In my clearing-up, I've been clearing out. Bags and bags, sacks and sacks of clothes, shoes, actual bags, CDs (we don't even have a CD-player) some out-of-date legal/law books from uni. Anything boring goes to the recycle centre which I can leave outside for the Council to pick up, mildly exiting to the Red Cross which I've had to carry, choice designer/cult/cool to Age Concern in Central London (they're picking-up in the week). Breaks my heart somewhat to see so much vintage going, but I'm growing more fussy in the things I actually wear - I don't see myself wearing 'crimpoline' 1960s suits anymore, however nice the colour, strappy high-heels or crazy-pointed kitten heels have basically just been for looking at, even if they are designer and beautifully made. Hopefully, the charity shops won't just think they're 'old' and chuck. Some volunteers are not exactly fashionistas.

I'm not even counting bags and SLGs out, must be at least 10 out.
I hope DH is doing well with his treatment and gets a good report about next steps. I feel for you trying to maintain career, home and hearth while being caretaker. Hugs to you both. :hugs:

I know you’re clearing out a bit but your archiving and usage of vintage pieces positively inspired quite a bit of my mental pivot. I’ll never inherit beauties like you have (darn my fashion backward ancestors!) and I don’t have your amazing fashion eye but I can build and sustain a collection that will have lovely items from various time periods, eras and styles that I love.

IMO - the wedding outfits. They all sound lovely but I would lean into whichever one(s) allow you to dance the night away comfortably. A good portion of great style is having your clothes effortlessly enhance you and your experience.

Oh - and that Balmain bag is KILLER!!!:girlsigh:

Wait wut not me actually posting the correct colour of the week

View attachment 5979733
I am bonkers in love with this bag! :loveeyes:
Ooh love the idea of a navy dress, with maybe a shawl for needed warmth but easy to remove if it's too hot?
One thing I always hated was that I was not up to current fashion trends, so I'd show up to a wedding in pink and uh oh everyone was in all black or vice versa.
Tbh I have never figured out how people know what to wear to each event ( my family is extremely unfashionable). I would love to have some of your ladies' confidence to wear what I like and be ok .
Just remember. No one is looking at you as closely as you think. And anyone looking at you with something other than support, admiration & / or love doesn’t matter. Wear what makes YOU joyful.

I went out with DH last weekend in a lovely outfit that included a Dior bag and Louboutin heels. It also included a “totally inappropriate” $10 rhinestone encrusted cat ear headband… Why? Because I wanted it to. I could have died when I had my brain tumor surgery. And I would have died not wearing the headband because of “how it would have looked” to others.

I sooooo don’t care anymore. :biggrin: Tomorrow, I will be dressed with casual classic elegance as I run errands. I will also be wearing an elf princess crown. What is anyone going to do? Jail me? :lol:

I only follow dress “code” to earn an income or to respect someone else’s event (weddings, funerals, etc.) Other than that, at my whim - I may be dressed completely conservatively all the way to full cosplay. Embrace your happy!
I'm also at a loss what to do with my humongous bag collection. What I am realizing, at least for now, is that no matter how beautiful I find certain bags are, there seems to be an expiration date on my interest to wear them. I don't like that I am feeling this way, but I'm on the acceptance phase that this is is me now.

I have bags from well before COVID that I still love, but I am more interested to use my newer bags (bought last year and this year). And I don't change bags as often as I did. In short, I have a lot of bags in my closet that are just sitting there. I can probably bring some to a consignment store I had used in the past, but I have to make sure that I am really ready to let them go. Other than the consignment store (which takes 20% as commission, if memory serves me right), I don't have any other reselling options where I am.

Part of my thought process on this is, if I let these bags go, it is as if I'm accepting that I lost a battle - that I was wrong to devote so much time and resources to this 'hobby', even when friends and family were constantly reminding me not to. But it's all pride, isn't it? I enjoyed having and using them anyway.

This is where I am now. Maybe I only use 4 bags or so on regular rotation, while I have a total of X bags (I've stopped counting, but likely more than 30; maybe even close to 50??). But when I look at the "old" bags, I still love them. But using them is a different matter altogether.
Don’t feel any guilt. Collectors often change their approach and focus as new info, financial ability, trends or anything else shifts. Perhaps owning and looking at them is enough. I think this is where my Chanel jumbos will live and that’s ok. :flowers:
Close your eyes and imagine you've given/sold a bag. Then, imagine someone else walking down the road with it on, how do you feel? Do you want it back or feel happy that someone else is making good use of it? If you felt remorse, keep and test, if you feel relief, let it go to a more appreciative home.
I dunno, PT. I’m an only child of two only children. I don’t share well. LOL! This test would have me keeping all I have and maniacally buying back all I sold. :roflmfao:

I’m kidding! No, I’m not!

Yes, I am. Am I reaaaally, though?

But, seriously, this is a very helpful question even for me. When I think of the Chanel black jumbo, I’m happy to see DD in it. But, I don’t want it to leave the family. When I think of the Jimmy Choo Raven I recently decided to sell, I want to steal the loot satchels of all mine enemies whilst forcing the vile wretches to carry non but a heavily laden JC Raven til their bitter souls roast in a fiery afterlife. :lol: So, yeah, I should definitely sell that bag.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! :heart:

Wow… lovely bags and each is very different (as it should be!), is the first an LV Papillon?
(I prolly spelled that wrong!)
I have had the papillon for a very long time. I recently gave the baby to the consignment shop but kept the bag because I actually use that. The funny thing is I bought it when I went to a TPF LV group meet up a long time ago. The women helped me pick it out and looked it over with the eyes of bagacholics like me. lol

I’ve said a thousand times on this forum that I will never own more than 35 bags. With 3 to be sold, 4 in question and 2 being novelty minaudieres, I’ll be well under that in a short amount of time.

My perspective on bag count has radically changed as I’ve realized…

1) I must have more variety. :panic:Similar to @msd_bags, I tire of bags - even if I really like them - if they can’t be rested for a period of time.
2) I have quite a bit of regret over past sales of great bags I should have been more patient with.
3) Handbag quality is tanking. :crybaby:So, I’m aggressively snapping up older or vintage bags that have the unique design and high quality construction, leathers and hardware I love.
4) I no longer give a rat’s rumptooty 🐀 about selecting a bag for good resale value, “classic” styling, brand caché, or any other extrinsic reason. I want solely what I want: high personality bags off the beaten path. 😂

Given this, I’ve bought 10 bags over the past two weeks.:giggle: All are quite different from each other and range from 40+ years old to new and from $40 to $4500. :shrugs: It’s all about what makes me happy! I’ll share pics once I make the final decisions on what’s staying. :tup:

If I decide to get rid of more of my current bags, I’ll buy the sparkly Chanel. (I admit, half of me is hoping someone else buys it so I don’t have to be an adult and actually make a decision.)

I agree. My parents had me late in life and experienced a much harsher world. So they learned to keep everything. I grew up living with the “everything” along with getting constant admonishment to not waste. I hooked onto the last part. I never waste but that’s because I glare menacingly at any “stuff” that threatens to cross my threshold. I just prefer neat, well organized, well designed, deeply welcoming spaces. No extra stuff. No clutter. Just pretty possessions with purpose. :lol:

I hope DH is doing well with his treatment and gets a good report about next steps. I feel for you trying to maintain career, home and hearth while being caretaker. Hugs to you both. :hugs:

I know you’re clearing out a bit but your archiving and usage of vintage pieces positively inspired quite a bit of my mental pivot. I’ll never inherit beauties like you have (darn my fashion backward ancestors!) and I don’t have your amazing fashion eye but I can build and sustain a collection that will have lovely items from various time periods, eras and styles that I love.

IMO - the wedding outfits. They all sound lovely but I would lean into whichever one(s) allow you to dance the night away comfortably. A good portion of great style is having your clothes effortlessly enhance you and your experience.

Oh - and that Balmain bag is KILLER!!!:girlsigh:

I am bonkers in love with this bag! :loveeyes:

Just remember. No one is looking at you as closely as you think. And anyone looking at you with something other than support, admiration & / or love doesn’t matter. Wear what makes YOU joyful.

I went out with DH last weekend in a lovely outfit that included a Dior bag and Louboutin heels. It also included a “totally inappropriate” $10 rhinestone encrusted cat ear headband… Why? Because I wanted it to. I could have died when I had my brain tumor surgery. And I would have died not wearing the headband because of “how it would have looked” to others.

I sooooo don’t care anymore. :biggrin: Tomorrow, I will be dressed with casual classic elegance as I run errands. I will also be wearing an elf princess crown. What is anyone going to do? Jail me? :lol:

I only follow dress “code” to earn an income or to respect someone else’s event (weddings, funerals, etc.) Other than that, at my whim - I may be dressed completely conservatively all the way to full cosplay. Embrace your happy!

Don’t feel any guilt. Collectors often change their approach and focus as new info, financial ability, trends or anything else shifts. Perhaps owning and looking at them is enough. I think this is where my Chanel jumbos will live and that’s ok. :flowers:

I dunno, PT. I’m an only child of two only children. I don’t share well. LOL! This test would have me keeping all I have and maniacally buying back all I sold. :roflmfao:

I’m kidding! No, I’m not!

Yes, I am. Am I reaaaally, though?

But, seriously, this is a very helpful question even for me. When I think of the Chanel black jumbo, I’m happy to see DD in it. But, I don’t want it to leave the family. When I think of the Jimmy Choo Raven I recently decided to sell, I want to steal the loot satchels of all mine enemies whilst forcing the vile wretches to carry non but a heavily laden JC Raven til their bitter souls roast in a fiery afterlife. :lol: So, yeah, I should definitely sell that bag.
Congratulations on your new bags :congrats: I know I for one can't wait to see.

You seem to be gaining such great insight into your physiological and practical needs and testing them against experience. I just love that you're owning your own style so strongly too, you have unique and feminine take on glamour and all your refinements (edits/new buys) all feed into this self-knowledge and empowerment. I truly believe we have to dress to impress and express ourselves first and last, sadly not all women around the world have that freedom.

I bought that Balmain in weak moment :lol: Not sorry though.

I'm also learning a lot recently. Before I set out on my recent clear out, I created myself a longterm-general style story and a present/near-future board on Pinterest. The things I am letting go of are visions of myself that perhaps only suited me physically in the past e..g 'romantic' frills (which I'm told are in) maxi-flowy 'Florence Welch' dresses, anything too 'stewardess' from the '60s/'70s. Plus (un)naturally, anything made of scratchy crimplene, polyester, acrylic, nylon etc, whatever the FAB pattern, glam-rock silhouette.

I'm using my 'Sophisticated chameleon' & 'Understated graceful' (@Cookiefiend :biggrin: ) as my general style, and tying to forefront 'beatnik-ballet' for this Summer (basically rebel-ballet dancer). I don't care what, what else or who's in fashion. Hence why I feel like I can work that Balmain bag into the mix soon. Likewise, I'll make good use of my SO blacks. Black/black hw Chloe Paddington and so-black Centenary Med Gucci BTH, lots of black/near black large hobos or totes. Plus carried over from Winter, all red or all green bags. Black is not in my colour wheel (bitter chocolate, dark warm grey and navy are) but whatever, I'm not that far away on the wheel and always wear a scarf!

I recently had my colours 'done' at an event, suddenly a lot of things made sense. I am Little Mz Skeptic about such stuff as I've had colours done by consultants before. I was dragged into the practice kicking and screaming. Previous, colour theories didn't work for me, but this last time the consultant didn't make her mind before the session. I understand myself better and why the other assessments didn't work. It all helps edit, and maybe in future to buy.

Another thing I do is do a celebrities/street fashion search on google images. You may/will hate the way someone else wears/styles 'your' bag, but I learn as much from 'how I wouldn't wear' as I do from style inspiration. If you are on the fence in your collection too, sometimes old images of the bag bring back the original excitement.

I have had the papillon for a very long time. I recently gave the baby to the consignment shop but kept the bag because I actually use that. The funny thing is I bought it when I went to a TPF LV group meet up a long time ago. The women helped me pick it out and looked it over with the eyes of bagacholics like me. lol

That's lovely!

I remember what I bought on some of my H meets. So much fun to shop with people who understand the obsession.

Close your eyes and imagine you've given/sold a bag. Then, imagine someone else walking down the road with it on, how do you feel? Do you want it back or feel happy that someone else is making good use of it? If you felt remorse, keep and test, if you feel relief, let it go to a more appreciative home.

I think fashion has changed a bit since pre-Covid. You could start to build different outfits around each bag and see if it helps. It's like putting those old bags into a new context. I'm digging out Y2K (from the first time around) and just re-working what I wear with.

You could do a single test day with each older bag you never use. Sometimes we lose connection with things and it's only by seeing it as ours we bond again. Just think of it as an exercise, a social experiment to be done before you give-up (in each case). You may find that one or two were a mistake or no longer work, but you may also find a new favourite from your own 'stash'.
A very good suggestion! For last Christmas, I gifted my secretary a Massaccesi bag that I liked but which I find small for my frame when carried. I am thrilled to see her carry it to the office! Good decision on that one. :heart: