2023 Resolution: Shopping my Own Bags and SLG Collection

A long standing tradition in this thread is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

• New theme weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show old pictures from previous years to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

So what are the showcases? In the Fall, we group our bags by makers! Feel free to show bags, small leather goods, or however it is easiest to organize!

August 13 - Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta

August 20 - Burberry, Celine

August 27 - Coach, Chanel

September 3 - Chloe, Dior

September 10 - Dooney & Bourke, Fendi

September 17 - Ferragamo, Givenchy

September 24 - Goyard, Gucci

October 1 - Hermes, Kate Spade

October 8 - Loewe, Longchamp

October 15 - Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs

October 22 - Michael Kors, Miu Miu

October 29 - Mulberry, Prada

November 5 - Proenza Schouler, Rebecca Minkoff

November 12 - Saint Laurent, Tods

November 19 - Tory Burch, Valentino

November 26 - Bags by Jewelers: Bulgari, Cartier, Tiffany Co, Van Cleef & Arpels. Alternatively, the pillboxes, compacts and other lovelies made by jewelers that fit in your bag.

December 3 - independent artisans and custom bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hermes Croc Pulman

user222564_pic112264_1417481906_zps04816884.jpg

Gucci black (and tan) Summer half-moon hobo

DSC_0730_zpsanfow1go.jpg

Gucci silk-satin and crystal 1973 evening bag

user222564_pic86104_1326391350_zpsqbmba5nk.jpg

Liberty/Apple laptop case

Liaptopcase copy.jpg

Gucci Jocky Boston

JockeyBoston_zpslkywlq2y.jpg

Gucci Aviatrix croc (actually, I take issue with Gucci - I'm pretty sure it's alligator) Boston

IMG_20210917_184033.jpg

H (my BFH) Clemence Evie

IMG_20190630_103436_resized_20190630_103623604.jpg

Gucci Med SO black BTH

IMG_20220314_155432.jpg

Vintage Korret beauty from the late-1950s (it has a contrast bright red interior)

IMG_20200202_141144_resized_20200202_021649681.jpgIMG_20200202_141231_resized_20200202_021649100.jpg

Guuci 1969 beauty, who's probably more trouble than she's worth (with her good-as-gold 1970 Chanel best friend)

chanelvitagegucci.jpg

Although it's still cold outside here, I am already starting to assemble my spring capsule wardrobe together. Is anyone else looking at their spring wardrobes, and maybe coming up with a shopping list? I realized that for starters, I need new white sneakers, and maybe even new white trousers or jeans.
I’m also feeling ready for spring. And I agree, a spring and summer wardrobe is calling out for white sneakers. I love a pair of canvas white Keds in the summer. So seasonal and light on the foot. They even dry fast compared to regular shoes when wet, and somehow in warm seasons, my shoes get wet more often. I wear them a lot throughout spring and summer and by the end of the season, they look rough so usually aren't good for more than that year. But last year I got some leather ones. I still prefer the look of the canvas, but I wanted to see if these would last longer, and it looks like they will. They should be good for at least one more season. So if I get 2 seasons out of them instead of 1, for only 20% more in cost, I get 2x the wear.

The other thing I go through a lot are white tees. Those also don't look great for more than 1 or 2 years, so might get another white top, another pair of linen pants, and my favorite for warm weather, another spring/summer dress.

more...(I said 2, now realise even 3 would not do it all) I will spare you them all.

Vintage (1960s) silk evening bag

Gsilkevepurse.jpg

Gucci lizard 'Padlock' (style previously known as 'Kelly-style)

GGlizard_GGbelt_CCscarf.jpg

H DS disguised as Etain (black on reverse)

IMG_20190919_170513_resized_20190919_092059575.jpg

H 1938 (25cm)

DSC_0725_zpsb51pz7ug.jpg

H Box Escale (one of my favourite bags ever made by H, and one of the rarest)

DSC_0471_zps9a0c67bf.jpg

Not shown
Gucci large travel bag (I posted is a few pages back)
SO black Chloe Paddington front pocket (only one of 2 Chloes I have left)
Pickett of London Ostrich Alice (red suede interior)
All Saints all-leather messenger
Lots of other black vintage bags

Those also don't look great for more than 1 or 2 years
Why I wear black t shirts more often than white myself

i love black bags, but don’t wear them as much as other neutrals anymore. The 28K retourne (a covid deal) has been loaned out to a friend for months (I don’t have the courage to rehome it permanently bc it’s one of those forever bags, but I’m more a sellier K than a retourne K person. Now that clutches and bags are tiny, I do wear the K longue wallet as a clutch. It fits the iPhone 14, cc, a key, and wipes.

I loved my vintage deal crinoline trims and Vespa, but never wore them bc I was afraid of damaging the crinoline, so gave them to friends :smile: The last pic was the bag that got away. Mary Katrantzou for Bulgari. Gold HW which is not usually my preference. No doubt it’s built up in my head, so I’m not all that sad I missed it. Sold out before I knew it existed.

I also have gray and navy bags that look black, but not included here. And, I included patterned bags that are mainly black, but not patterned bags than are partially black. I first saw the bottega Boston bag with lizard swirls at Saks over a decade ago. Back then it was almost 4K. Fast forward a number of years and I got it for about 300 USD from fashionphile. Worth the wait, but given infrequency of wear, I paid the right price. I probably wear the dior men’s saddle the most which is odd bc I hated the saddle the first time around. Great travel bag.

E9D271C8-5699-491C-B21D-DA4224346740.jpeg0B68F660-A58D-46CE-BEF9-DED10A04835D.jpeg89973874-6E0F-4CEA-B04C-881F5749F401.jpegF85DFEDC-37BD-406D-B056-0A70E20F99B9.jpeg9E0DAD58-67D1-4235-8571-EC57E2858DA6.jpegC01B6F56-4C71-4F26-B2F7-D344740078E2.jpeg85F0967F-4179-47D2-9A53-4A735FAFEFFA.jpegCB2DC4F7-9A78-4E1C-B97D-50FB08270040.jpeg8F7F1515-513E-43C1-8E0F-4A9438F14311.jpeg

Last edited:
more...(I said 2, now realise even 3 would not do it all) I will spare you them all.

Vintage (1960s) silk evening bag

View attachment 5743858

Gucci lizard 'Padlock' (style previously known as 'Kelly-style)

View attachment 5743859

H DS disguised as Etain (black on reverse)

View attachment 5743860

H 1938 (25cm)

View attachment 5743861

H Box Escale (one of my favourite bags ever made by H, and one of the rarest)

View attachment 5743862

Not shown
Gucci large travel bag (I posted is a few pages back)
SO black Chloe Paddington front pocket (only one of 2 Chloes I have left)
Pickett of London Ostrich Alice (red suede interior)
All Saints all-leather messenger
Lots of other black vintage bags
Love the vintage Koret and the Escale! There are some gorgeous vintage H styles out there, like the Escale….shame they are only 1-2” deep and not deep enough for my needs. Or maybe not a shame since they are reasonably priced and I would buy too many!

Hermes Croc Pulman

View attachment 5743847

Gucci black (and tan) Summer half-moon hobo

View attachment 5743848

Gucci silk-satin and crystal 1973 evening bag

View attachment 5743849

Liberty/Apple laptop case

View attachment 5743850

Gucci Jocky Boston

View attachment 5743851

Gucci Aviatrix croc (actually, I take issue with Gucci - I'm pretty sure it's alligator) Boston

View attachment 5743852

H (my BFH) Clemence Evie

View attachment 5743853

Gucci Med SO black BTH

View attachment 5743854

Vintage Korret beauty from the late-1950s (it has a contrast bright red interior)

View attachment 5743856View attachment 5743855

Guuci 1969 beauty, who's probably more trouble than she's worth (with her good-as-gold 1970 Chanel best friend)

View attachment 5743857
Your Black Bags are amazing! I can’t pick a favorite as there are so many gorgeous ones.

i love black bags, but don’t wear them as much as other neutrals anymore. The 28K retourne (a covid deal) has been loaned out to a friend for months (I don’t have the courage to rehome it permanently bc it’s one of those forever bags, but I’m more a sellier K than a retourne K person. Now that clutches and bags are tiny, I do wear the K longue wallet as a clutch. It fits the iPhone 14, cc, a key, and wipes.

I loved my vintage deal crinoline trims and Vespa, but never wore them bc I was afraid of damaging the crinoline, so gave them to friends :smile: The last pic was the bag that got away. Mary Katrantzou for Bulgari. Gold HW which is not usually my preference. No doubt it’s built up in my head, so I’m not all that sad I missed it. Sold out before I knew it existed.

I also have gray and navy bags that look black, but not included here. And, I included patterned bags that are mainly black, but not patterned bags than are partially black. I first saw the bottega Boston bag with lizard swirls at Saks over a decade ago. Back then it was almost 4K. Fast forward a number of years and I got it for about 300 USD from fashionphile. Worth the wait, but given infrequency of wear, I paid the right price. I probably wear the dior men’s saddle the most which is odd bc I hated the saddle the first time around. Great travel bag.

View attachment 5743863View attachment 5743864View attachment 5743865View attachment 5743866View attachment 5743867View attachment 5743868View attachment 5743869View attachment 5743870View attachment 5743871
Gorgeous bags ! Is the Chanel a Stringray?

• Thanks
Reactions: 880
Love the vintage Koret and the Escale! There are some gorgeous vintage H styles out there, like the Escale….shame they are only 1-2” deep and not deep enough for my needs. Or maybe not a shame since they are reasonably priced and I would buy too many!

The Koret is actually very large and strangely practical for today's needs when most of the necessities are flat (card holders, phones etc)

The Escale was a very lucky find, I had been after this bag for decades. I remember it from an old copy of French Vogue that my G-aunt had. I remembered it so well, I actually sketched it for an artwork for school.

Unlike the other other late-80s/early 90s bag novelties, it's not a small or shallow bag. There is an earlier Escale (26) from the 50s/60s (without ships-wheel closure) that is smaller (more E-W, elan) and shallower in depth (2"). Although my bag has the same 'wave' flap, it's a taller and deeper bag and is probably considered medium if compared to contemporary bag sizes. So few were made, I would be extremely lucky to find another, but I wouldn't mind the PP variation. I saw one 2014, in a well known vintage store in Nice where they had plenty of vintage H and C, but the bag was over €6K, maybe worth it, but I didn't even give an offer.

Reactions: cowgirlsboots

View attachment 5743863View attachment 5743864View attachment 5743865View attachment 5743866View attachment 5743867View attachment 5743868View attachment 5743869View attachment 5743870View attachment 5743871

Loving the Bvlgari! I'm sure one will slither your way soon.

The BV was an outstanding bargain, literally 'no money'. I find either people never let go of the initial cost or they have no grasp of what they actually cost. It just looks amazing.

You reminded me, I am a fraternal trinity as I have a Dior Saddle in black too

I loved my vintage deal crinoline trims and Vespa, but never wore them bc I was afraid of damaging the crinoline, so gave them to friends :smile: The last pic was the bag that got away. Mary Katrantzou for Bulgari. Gold HW which is not usually my preference. No doubt it’s built up in my head, so I’m not all that sad I missed it. Sold out before View attachment 5743871
Beautiful black bags. And wow at the serpent handle in the last one! Beautiful! It seems like it would be a shame for them to never re-use such a design again

• Thanks
Reactions: dcooney4 and 880
I have sold to fashionphile but never bought. I think I need to check it out for myself. What a fabulous find you have. I love the feel of stingray.
Thank you @dcooney4, @papertiger, and @nyeredzi .

@papertiger , @dcooney4 , I love your clutches. I’m a fan of Koret too.

During Covid, I regret not buying a fabulous graphite box retourne kelly, phw, from fashionphile for 4K USD. I think graphite is more wearable than black. These bags are still very expensive, but for preowned, I prefer to buy far under retail. Prices are softening, but Covid was a special opportunity to purchase some of these bags which would have been otherwise out of reach.

Last edited: