2023 Resolution: Shopping my Own Bags and SLG Collection

A long standing tradition in this thread is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

• New theme weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show old pictures from previous years to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

So what are the showcases? In the Fall, we group our bags by makers! Feel free to show bags, small leather goods, or however it is easiest to organize!

August 13 - Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta

August 20 - Burberry, Celine

August 27 - Coach, Chanel

September 3 - Chloe, Dior

September 10 - Dooney & Bourke, Fendi

September 17 - Ferragamo, Givenchy

September 24 - Goyard, Gucci

October 1 - Hermes, Kate Spade

October 8 - Loewe, Longchamp

October 15 - Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs

October 22 - Michael Kors, Miu Miu

October 29 - Mulberry, Prada

November 5 - Proenza Schouler, Rebecca Minkoff

November 12 - Saint Laurent, Tods

November 19 - Tory Burch, Valentino

November 26 - Bags by Jewelers: Bulgari, Cartier, Tiffany Co, Van Cleef & Arpels. Alternatively, the pillboxes, compacts and other lovelies made by jewelers that fit in your bag.

December 3 - independent artisans and custom bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is someone I know, I just tell them. Very rarely do I get push back. But I have quite a strong personality and will shut someone down if I'm in the mood to do so.
My shopping is well known at work and outside of work. The people who do ask me already know what kind of person I am. :P

If it is a complete stranger, probably something along the lines of "way too much". I don't think a random stranger has asked me the price of something though. More like where I got an item, but that's as far as somebody goes.

Been loving where this thread is going and it gives me a nice break to come back and read (even though I'm not participating as much as I'd like.) The Celine Clasp brings back memories of when I really wanted that bag. I would still love to have it in my collection, but I'm not in a hurry to buy a bag or I guess I don't really feel that want/need at the moment. I've only bought one bag so far this year to replace my old work bag with a new one. So that fits in with my one-in/one-out policy.

Lately I've been experiencing an uptick in people who want to touch my handbags. Very strange.

Hi all, happy Lunar New Year! Last year I somehow ended buying 6 bags! And parted ways with 2 bags and one backpack that I wasn’t using as much in the past few years, gave them to my relatives, but with new purchases I made last year I have 21 bags, including a Tumi backpack and Lululemon belt bag… there are some bags I wasn’t using that much and I’m considering parting ways with.

I’ve become a more top handle bag girl, I love wearing bags on crook of my arm or hand carried. I like wearing small bags crossbody during cold months when I have a coat or jacket on, but not in summer months.

I also learned that some bag colors just don’t work for me as they don’t fit my wardrobe color palette. I don’t have all my bags displayed, I rotate them seasonally, there are some bags I wear in winter months and some bags that I wear in summertime.

As far as resolutions go, I want to sell 1-2 bags this year and should I be adding anything new, I should take some time to evaluate the purchase and don’t buy a bag on a whim, just cause I like it or it’s on sale. I don’t want to do any bans as I don’t like feeling restricted. I’m also curious with which bags Phoebe Philo will come out for her brand.

Also this year I want to use more what I already have, especially the bags that have been sitting on the shelf for a while, I should figure out how to style them! Any suggestions how to style a neon mini bag (similar style to mini Kelly)? Or a blush pink structured medium size bag (similar style to Celine Clasp bag)?
The neon bag could be a fun touch for a pair of dark jeans and white button down…something staid and classic but more casual. Keep it from being boring.

Lately I've been experiencing an uptick in people who want to touch my handbags. Very strange.

Wow, that is weird and awkward. Sorry that happens to you. :sad:

Are luxury bags relatively scarce in your area?

Where I live, everyone and their mother has something and what I carry is more low key or maybe just not special enough to garner much attention. (I see Chanels everywhere and B/K/C often enough that only SO and exotics make me stare haha.)

Made no comments about price and relation to condition and quality. Just that on average, the vintage pieces I’ve run across are more beat up than I like.

I’m glad vintage is fun for you and that you like it. As I said, it’s not for me.
Oh, sorry! I might have got you wrong when reading your post (I was tired and up to my ears in some annoying tax stuff plus my DS´s schoolwork) and definetely did not want to offend you in any way! All I intended to do was to advocate for vintage out of my personal love for it. I totally understand you are not into it- my daughters for example aren´t either- and will stop trying to kindle your interest in vintage items. Everybody loves what they love and perceptions are very personal.
Please accept my apologies.

January feels like almost over and so far I´ve been good and did not buy any bag. (I was gifted the little embellished evening bag, though.)

It´s not that I have not been deep into many a rabbit hole all month.
Aside from having a general look around for desirable bags and being overwhelmed/ completely put off by the abundance of bags on the market and their prices I´ve been looking for the perfect travel bag all over the internet and almost pulling the trigger many times (Dior "My Dior" top handle, D&G old model Sicily, Fendi Peekaboo - at closer inspection this one was fake, Workwear by Marc by Marc Jacobs.....) only to go back to my closet.
The solution still hasn´t be found...

I might end up taking my YSL from the Tom Ford era which I actually bought as a travel bag some years ago.
IMG_4520.JPG
It´s big enough to fit everything I might want to lug around, it´s fairly secure (though closing the clasp needs attention or it might pop open again) and it works both as a crook of the arm and crossbody bag. It has a kind of timeless design that should go well with any coat I might end up taking and already got scratched last time it went to Paris.

Speaking of coats I´ve gone down many rabbit holes, too. And I checked my wardrobe, which admittedly is overflowing with vintage coats. Unfortunately everything I own doesn´t seem to work out in one way (being warm enough, fit, practicability for a long car ride and city trip) or the other (design, colour.)
So I did what I always seem to be doing: I bought two rather different cheap coats on ebay.
Hopefully they will arrive very soon for me to have plenty of time to complete the picture.

Ha, so on the thread we did this discussion in the past year and I am not trying to repeat it necessarily, but this morning I challenged my husband to pick out a 5-bag ‘capsule’ collection from my overall collection. This is what he chose - I think he did pretty well.

View attachment 5698843

The mini green coco handle is a bit duplicative, so I suspect that would be the one I would swap out if I were to do it. But I still would want a green bag in the ‘capsule’ set and this is my favorite so possibly fine as is.
Stunning 5 bag Capsule! I agree with @dcooney4, your DH did a great job with this selection!:love:

I wonder why the cruise director warned people against buying altogether. I would rather he advised that people not pay over x amount for commonly sold items. That way both the community and the visitors benefit fairly from the trade.

May I ask how you use your saffron? I have some and really can't think of how to make the most of it. :smile:
I use it in rice. It is the main flavor in paella but I don't make that. I love Indian and Moroccan food and it is used in those cuisines. I haven't cooked anything lately that calls for it. I've gotten out of the habit of using it.

That would bother me a lot if they did it without asking. I don't see much difference between touching my bag and touching my body. If they are strangers, I wouldn't like them even asking.

I am guessing they ask? What do you say?

but this morning I challenged my husband to pick out a 5-bag ‘capsule’ collection from my overall collection. This is what he chose - I think he did pretty well.
He chose well! Covered every size, style and colour!
This is difficult to do. I tired myself but couldn't narrow it down to less than 8 bags!

I use it in rice. It is the main flavor in paella but I don't make that. I love Indian and Moroccan food and it is used in those cuisines. I haven't cooked anything lately that calls for it. I've gotten out of the habit of using it.
Someone recommended I put it in a pot of tea but, I couldn't take that risk because the combo didn't sound right. Done wrong, it would be a waste of both expensive spice and my precious tea (I have a tea and coffee habit, lol).
I may try my hand at something Moroccan! Thanks for the suggestions.

That would bother me a lot if they did it without asking. I don't see much difference between touching my bag and touching my body. If they are strangers, I wouldn't like them even asking.

I am guessing they ask? What do you say?
If a stranger tried to touch my bag, whether they asked or not, I would assume it was about to get snatched!

@jblended
Saffron is used in multiple recipes in Spanish Cuisine.
Rice, meat and fish ragoût and also in deserts.
It is very helpful in winter time, as it helps with cardio vascular health as well as morale.
One of my fav. Yum.

@cowgirlsboots
In Paris, be very, very cognizant of thieves. They are everywhere. A zippered bag is highly recommended while in public transit.

Oh, sorry! I might have got you wrong when reading your post (I was tired and up to my ears in some annoying tax stuff plus my DS´s schoolwork) and definetely did not want to offend you in any way! All I intended to do was to advocate for vintage out of my personal love for it. I totally understand you are not into it- my daughters for example aren´t either- and will stop trying to kindle your interest in vintage items. Everybody loves what they love and perceptions are very personal.
Please accept my apologies.
No worries at all!

• Love
Reactions: cowgirlsboots
Hi all, happy Lunar New Year! Last year I somehow ended buying 6 bags! And parted ways with 2 bags and one backpack that I wasn’t using as much in the past few years, gave them to my relatives, but with new purchases I made last year I have 21 bags, including a Tumi backpack and Lululemon belt bag… there are some bags I wasn’t using that much and I’m considering parting ways with.

I’ve become a more top handle bag girl, I love wearing bags on crook of my arm or hand carried. I like wearing small bags crossbody during cold months when I have a coat or jacket on, but not in summer months.

I also learned that some bag colors just don’t work for me as they don’t fit my wardrobe color palette. I don’t have all my bags displayed, I rotate them seasonally, there are some bags I wear in winter months and some bags that I wear in summertime.

As far as resolutions go, I want to sell 1-2 bags this year and should I be adding anything new, I should take some time to evaluate the purchase and don’t buy a bag on a whim, just cause I like it or it’s on sale. I don’t want to do any bans as I don’t like feeling restricted. I’m also curious with which bags Phoebe Philo will come out for her brand.

Also this year I want to use more what I already have, especially the bags that have been sitting on the shelf for a while, I should figure out how to style them! Any suggestions how to style a neon mini bag (similar style to mini Kelly)? Or a blush pink structured medium size bag (similar style to Celine Clasp bag)?

Sounds like we have some similar tastes… I’m also very much into top handles, and love a small bag crossbody with a coat. In fact this weekend I nabbed a mini bag / SLG that I will wear like that.

Where I live, everyone and their mother has something and what I carry is more low key or maybe just not special enough to garner much attention. (I see Chanels everywhere and B/K/C often enough that only SO and exotics make me stare haha.)

That’s also more or less how it is here (DC). I see a lot of luxury bags - a TON of YSL and Gucci. I actually don’t see much Hermes tho, or at least not many Birkins or Kellys.

View attachment 5698097

Edit: Gosh, how weird it is to see these bags on the same page as Prada and Celine! So sorry to bring down the standard! :lol:
Not at all!

I love this coconut bag. I would buy one for sure. Actually. it reminds me of a fairly recent Gucci (Cruise 2019) Tifosa that I wanted (but with spikes).

photo VC
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 13.40.17.png

Hi everyone! Happy Chinese New Year. I hope you're all ready to party... or ready to rest, that's me!

I was so busy thinking about my closet resolutions that I forgot about the most important component - my own personal growth. After waking up due to a panic induced dream I realized that there is a further need for me to seek out help. Although this is not traditional therapy, I have picked out a few books. It's free AND I can do my healing privately. It's time to unlearn some toxic beliefs surrounding my intimate relationships! What is actually really comforting is seeing how someone wrote notes in the margins. It's like I'm in my own little support group but in book form. As some of you know, I'm in an age gap relationship. A part of being in that relationship means that I need to strive for better for both myself and him too. He's truly inspirational. I feel so lucky.

The book is ' Loving Bravely : 20 Lessons of Self Discovery to Help You Get The Love You Want' b Alexandra H. Solomon. It's going to take me a while since the material is awfully personal and heavy and messy but sometimes development requires turning over these emotional stones and addressing them.

I'm also thrilled to know all of you too.

One I would recommend is Amy Cuddy's Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges. ISBN: 9781409156017

Just reading it helps, but the stances and thinking about how our physical selves help our mental/emotional attitudes was great. I have worked in this field so I knew quite a bit, it doesn't hurt to revise, re-read, redefine and reboot sporadically.

In fact I would say, it doesn't have to be NY (lunar, Tishrei or solar) someone don't have to feel bad, unwell or imbalanced to reflect on the past and want to change moving forward. It's good to fine-tune occasionally too.