2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

I wonder if anyone else feels guilt at making purchases and questions the purpose? I remember @dcooney4 had guilt at rehoming.
I am very prone to guilt for all kinds of things. I feel guilt for making purchases. I feel guilt for letting go of things. I especially feel guilt for letting go of things that were gifts. I have no good advice, but you are definitely not alone.

So my investigations at Mulberry today did not go the way I thought they would. I was certain I’d love the oak Bayswater but while I did really like it, I didn’t love it as much as I thought I would.

I went dressed like this in my off duty style, new Hush jumper (from husband for Christmas), NYDJ skinny jeans with my black Alexa Icon and long black boots.
C0432C48-B3AE-4D8E-8175-15F7556A5F1D.jpeg
And I think this picture sums up how I most like my bags. Mostly crossbody, understated classics and relaxed.

I guess that the issue was that while the Bayswater was lovely (all the bags in the shop were lovely!) I just didn’t love it as much as the Alexa I had with me. I wanted to use it for work and weekends but I decided I was likely to use it only for work. This meant I ended up thinking there was no point in spending all that money as I have a grey Bayswater already for work. I didn’t even take any modelling shots with it.

I was really impressed with myself that I managed to walk away (for now).

There is of course a but to my shopping trip…

I looked at a few other bags and these were the two that made my heart sing today:

Balenciaga Neo Classic - probably more than I want to pay and tiny but it’s amazing!330D4991-26C2-4D34-8BD4-6BC87C5A95B8.jpeg

Mulberry Alexa Mini
E5A3A5FC-8593-4BC0-8D48-9E6BB3340B74.jpeg
It’s an Alexa, with its relaxed crossbody style and it’s in my favourite colour. Just not sure about the mini size and I only just bought the pink Coach Maddison. The full size is patent which feels a bit too much.

I have a lot of pink bags so I am pausing and thinking for now. It means I’m still successfully shopping my own collection.

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words, @More bags !

@Katinahat, I used to be on medication that caused weight gain. It is terrible. I am so sorry. I eventually found an endocrin who helped me come up with another solution; put me on metformin; and, helped me to reform diet, exercise and lifestyle.
its also hard sometimes to channel joy and not guilt when shopping

@Jereni, perhaps the Proenza has given enough in your life where it is time to find the next perfect camel bag, IDK

I agree with @DME, re the method @diane278 captures so wonderfully in the thread about sharing your edited bag closet journey. When I set the items aside for a time, I don’t even miss them when i rehome, and recipients are thrilled to get them.

i do feel a bit ticked off with myself if I don’t end up loving a purchase. So, I do try to buy mindfully.

@BowieFan1971, you and your DH are so blessed! Keep sending us pics!

Also agree with @ElainePG, that most of us can upgrade our looks without shopping. Though I honestly look at RTW in spans of five-ten years or more, not just two.
Thanks for your kind and helpful comments. I found some joy just browsing the shops today.

@Katinahat you have a gorgeous Mulberry collection. This Bayswater would be a lovely addition to your collection and you know the style and size work for you.

You are the same strong, beautiful, and resilient person on the inside. Be gentle with yourself. Let your medication do what it needs to do and in time I’m sure you’ll find a way to work towards the healthy weight you want to be at. :hugs:

Thank you @Sunshine mama.
Thanks so much @More bags . You know just what to say. My DH and I had a good chat this afternoon and he said the same as you. I need to keep working on self-compassion. And thanks for your kind comments about my Mulberry collection.

I am very prone to guilt for all kinds of things. I feel guilt for making purchases. I feel guilt for letting go of things. I especially feel guilt for letting go of things that were gifts. I have no good advice, but you are definitely not alone.
It was the guilt of getting rid of a gift my brother gave me. I mostly keep things he gave me unless they were really weird. Lol

Great original post and answer. Glad to hear you are enjoying your bags @missie1. Thought I’d answer @Sparkletastic too.

I think bags are for enjoyment. That’s shopping for them, wearing them, storing them so I can see them and collating them. Since I’ve “collected” bags I haven’t worn anything out completely because I rotate so much. I last wore out a work bag I used solidly for about 4 years and a pink Fossil crossbody bag that had similar casual usage. Now that doesn’t happen but because I use my bags they do sometimes get scuffs. My Bayswater’s corners are quite noticeably worn to me but no one would notice from a distance.

I’ve decided to add in cleaning my bags more often. It’s ages since I did that. The one I got out last night was very dusty and a bit creased. Nothing a good run with Collonil gel couldn’t sort out. I suppose I should store in dust bags but I like to see them to remind me to carry them.

:goodpost:

"I think bags are for enjoyment."

Agreed! If a bag isn't fun to wear, what's the point? I used to own a little Garfield pin where G is saying "You can't eat status." :lol:

For me, I don't carry a bag (even one of my high-end bags) so that others will look at it and say "Ooh… she must have big bucks!" For one thing, I don't think many people in my little beach community know from high-end bags. For another, even if someone does notice, I don't really care. As long as the bag pleases me, that's all that counts.

I’m stalking this bag online.
View attachment 5296498

Its a Mulberry Bayswater in Oak Natural Vegetable Tanned leather. By the time I got into Mulberry they’d stopped doing this leather. This is a limited legacy edition to celebrate their 50th anniversary. I’m so tempted but I have so many (Mulberry) bags. Nothing this size in this colour leather.

I love my grey Bayswater and I have large bags in black, pink and blue plus a Coach cavas one which is more this tan colour. I was thinking of a LV Neverfull as my next purchase but it didn’t make my heart sing when I looked at it. I think I’m just a leather girl (much respect to all the LV owners as they are beautiful bags!).

So do I go in store to look to see what the leather is like or not? It’s the weekend tomorrow!
I agree with @papertiger that this is the classic Mulberry. I say go for it. And if you think your Mulberry collection is overwhelming, is there one you could part with? (Following the "one in, one out" guideline.) Buuuuuut, that doesn't mean you have to! If all the other bags fulfill a purpose, and your closet isn't stuffed, then keep them all.

Keep us posted! :smile:

Glad you like it too. I do think I need to see it in person. I don’t like the regular oak smalll grain leather enough to make this kind of purchase so if it’s not right it would rule it out. But this legacy oak, if it’s like the original and not going to be around long, is definitely worth considering. I have a Lily in original oak and the leather is incredible.

And should I be concerned it’s not very fashionable to buy an IT bag from nearly 20 years ago? Perhaps I should branch out to other makes? Or is it ok to just know what I love?!
Just know what you love! Who cares if it's not this year's style? And what's the point of "branching out" if other styles don't make your heart sing?

It's been fun reading what people had to say about their personal styles!

After lots of time looking at my clothes (and purses), considering what I love, and why, I think I've come up with my style. Now just have to figure out a name for it. Any suggestions welcome.

Fabric texture is crucial (velour, corduroy, silk, suede, etc). Patent leather for high heels.
Plenty of color (especially purple); usually mixed with jeans or black - sometimes grey.
Metallic! Oil slick!
Generally solid colors, but a limited number of patterns (plaid) and prints (leopard, maybe tiger).
Tight enough to show I'm a woman; loose enough to show I'm a lady.
Designer purses and sunglasses.
Jewelry from local artisans or independent jewelers.
More casual than formal.
More minimalist than maximalist.
Great list.

The one in bold made me giggle, but it's so true!

• Just because I love a bag does not mean I need it, some bags are okay to appreciate from afar - I will buy what works for THIS lifestyle today, not what would have worked 2 years ago or for the fantasy life I don't lead

Already questioning my goals after seeing this photo from Nat in the stock thread...

I wear mostly warm earthy neutrals so cooler tones don't work as well for me but WOW this is a showstopper. I should pass, right...?

1642281933736.png

Status
Not open for further replies.