2021 Trend - Dress up or dress down?

2021 will be the year of...

• Dressing up! Can’t wait to wear all my pretty things out!!

• Dressing down! Too comfy to go back to bras and real clothes bah!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Noveltwist

Mar 17, 2019
I was wondering what you ladies/gents think the overarching “fashion trend” coming out of the COVID pandemic will be? I know regions differ and trends are cyclical, but with such a global impact of the pandemic and staying home (shelter in place, quarantine, etc) my friends and I were debating if we would exit the pandemic embracing “dressing up” (heels, fun, colorful) or staying in comfy clothes / “athleisure” (sneakers, leggings, tees)

Personally, I’ve always enjoyed dressing up and putting together outfits and scoffed at wearing workout/loungewear as regular outside clothes (obvi that has changed this year lol, heck I‘ve even gone grocery shopping in fleece pjs..) .... I am SOO comfy in a hoodie and sneakers these days, I wonder if I’ll just stick to it once everything is back to normal?

What do you think?

2021 will be the year of dressing up (like the flapper era “roaring twenties” after WWI) ... or ... comfy athleisure will continue to prevail???

Last edited:
Reactions: pandorabox
Great thread idea! I pretty much still dress up for the office (not overly dressy but more business casual) so I'd say I'll continue on this trend. Once we allow customers to come into the office again I'll probably have to wear jeans less since jeans were always saved for Friday's but now I wear them several times a week with a nice jacket or sweater. I could have probably gotten away with wearing sweats everyday but that's just not my thing.

We've been stuck at home like many other folks with no need to dress up. However, we have taken to having what my wife calls 'Car Dates' on Saturday evening. I wear my good jeans and she breaks out a dress, slacks, heels, boots, etc. and we enjoy a ride across town to get take out to bring home! Probably on the silly end of things, but it makes us feel better to be dressed up for a couple of hours!

We've been stuck at home like many other folks with no need to dress up. However, we have taken to having what my wife calls 'Car Dates' on Saturday evening. I wear my good jeans and she breaks out a dress, slacks, heels, boots, etc. and we enjoy a ride across town to get take out to bring home! Probably on the silly end of things, but it makes us feel better to be dressed up for a couple of hours!
Absolutely nothing wrong with that! I think it's nice!! :smile:

Reactions: avcbob
I tried the loungewear/athleisure style for a while and just never felt good about myself. Clothes really do make a difference for my mental state!

Throughout lockdown, I tried to at least put on a nice pair of jeans with a blouse. I'm excited to pull out all the clothes that haven't gotten much love in 2020!
Absolutely agree....so important to not give up on ourselves and just dressing up a little more makes all the difference.

I have been working from home since March and while I enjoy my commute, I do miss putting together an outfit. Even now, if I am doing an errand that involves multiple stops I get excited and pick out a nice pair of boots or something a bit more "2019".

Same! I feel like we have such little joys now, and getting dressed for random errands has become the thing to look forward to!!

Such a cute idea!! I might do that with my SO too, even if it is just to ride to pick up takeout...feels like we’re “doing something” hehe.

Reactions: avcbob

Sometimes life is what you make it

I tried the loungewear/athleisure style for a while and just never felt good about myself. Clothes really do make a difference for my mental state!

Throughout lockdown, I tried to at least put on a nice pair of jeans with a blouse. I'm excited to pull out all the clothes that haven't gotten much love in 2020!

This was the post I needed to see! Last March 2020 my I lost my yoga studio. It was just starting to blossom and I anticipated a good year. Enter Covid and fracked that all up. For the last 5 years with my total transformation and career path I literally lived in athletic gear. Of course I styled it up with cute purses and sexy heeled boots, but still it was pricey and well made gear. I still wore it for a long while after, basically another year. I added joggers and and pull over hoodies to the mix. Baggy and relaxed like that isn’t really my style. I love my dresses and flowy summery outfits. I love to dress pretty and feminine but always comfy. But this was just starting to feel frumpy or if I wore my full workout gear just to go for a walk I felt like it was too much compression all day and didn’t feel comfy. I started to really miss my other clothes that I didn’t even touch last year at all. I’ll be shopping from my summer wardrobe closet this summer. But I did buy a bunch of new summer shoes and bags. Now, all that said, for the first time in 5 years I bought some skinny (yes I said skinny) shaping jeans. Places have really stepped up their denim game over the last few years and they are sexy and shaping and comfy. Not like leggings, but gives me a nice shape that I can wear with heels , sneakers or boots. I am actually wearing bras and not sports bras that pull over my head and dislocate my shoulder. Hahahah. Or I am wearing tanks with shelf bras and no real bras and zip up hoodies with denim jeans, or camo baggy pants. I’m tired and turned off by MY workout gear. Maybe part of it is the pain of loss and I just can’t hear to really wear workout gear because of what it represents in my life. There was a point where o only owned a few dresses and normals clothes to all workout gear. And now there is a shift and I even want to sell off a bunch of gear new and gently used because I just can’t bare it. I am enjoying wearing my new jeans and pants that are not yoga and sweat joggers. I like the shape a bra gives me and not a uniboob with nipples in all directions. I enjoy makeup and eye shadows now! I was searching for posts on whether it’s weird that I am actually going the other way and not super relaxed. All my clothes are comfy. Lol. All those fleece like Pj and leisure wear that I loved so much has all gone wonky and hard. No longer are they soft and comfy. They are scratchy and staticky. I simply remembered how as much as they are cute in the store they really don’t last long at all. Maybe that’s the metaphor for my shift in clothes?

This was the post I needed to see! Last March 2020 my I lost my yoga studio. It was just starting to blossom and I anticipated a good year. Enter Covid and fracked that all up. For the last 5 years with my total transformation and career path I literally lived in athletic gear. Of course I styled it up with cute purses and sexy heeled boots, but still it was pricey and well made gear. I still wore it for a long while after, basically another year. I added joggers and and pull over hoodies to the mix. Baggy and relaxed like that isn’t really my style. I love my dresses and flowy summery outfits. I love to dress pretty and feminine but always comfy. But this was just starting to feel frumpy or if I wore my full workout gear just to go for a walk I felt like it was too much compression all day and didn’t feel comfy. I started to really miss my other clothes that I didn’t even touch last year at all. I’ll be shopping from my summer wardrobe closet this summer. But I did buy a bunch of new summer shoes and bags. Now, all that said, for the first time in 5 years I bought some skinny (yes I said skinny) shaping jeans. Places have really stepped up their denim game over the last few years and they are sexy and shaping and comfy. Not like leggings, but gives me a nice shape that I can wear with heels , sneakers or boots. I am actually wearing bras and not sports bras that pull over my head and dislocate my shoulder. Hahahah. Or I am wearing tanks with shelf bras and no real bras and zip up hoodies with denim jeans, or camo baggy pants. I’m tired and turned off by MY workout gear. Maybe part of it is the pain of loss and I just can’t hear to really wear workout gear because of what it represents in my life. There was a point where o only owned a few dresses and normals clothes to all workout gear. And now there is a shift and I even want to sell off a bunch of gear new and gently used because I just can’t bare it. I am enjoying wearing my new jeans and pants that are not yoga and sweat joggers. I like the shape a bra gives me and not a uniboob with nipples in all directions. I enjoy makeup and eye shadows now! I was searching for posts on whether it’s weird that I am actually going the other way and not super relaxed. All my clothes are comfy. Lol. All those fleece like Pj and leisure wear that I loved so much has all gone wonky and hard. No longer are they soft and comfy. They are scratchy and staticky. I simply remembered how as much as they are cute in the store they really don’t last long at all. Maybe that’s the metaphor for my shift in clothes?

Sorry to hear about your yoga studio . 2020 must have been a very hard year, hope this year it’s looking brighter.

As for “real clothes”, they’ve totally upped the comfort! Skinny jeans have so much more flex to them now, and less fitted pants are in trend again now too. I seriously can’t wait to wear out my clothes and bags when everything opens back up (whether I can still fit in them is another story!!!).

• Haha
Reactions: limom
I think baggier silhouettes will be popular as people are adjusting out of the stay at home lifestyle many have adopted during this time. But at the same time I think we will be seeing more people dressing up because they have missed being able to do so. I think we will continue to see platform/lug sole shoes and platform boots as a trend. This is a very interesting video on that subject

I also think logomania may go out of style due to the 'she'cession this pandemic has caused and how many people have their lost jobs and businesses.

Last edited:

I'm so sorry about your studio :sad: Hope things have been looking better for you since!!

• Love
Reactions: pandorabox