2020 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

I prefer 'don't settle' to 'sparks joy' personally.

Sparking joy sounds so transient to me. Who knows what mood I'm in or why it sparks joy? Could be because it's become the latest status symbol. Reminds me of all those poor ladies that bought a Birkin or a K even when it wasn't a great colour or size for them just for the privilege of buying a sought after bag at H and not wanting to upset their SA etc. I think they caught up in the sparking joy too much LOL. Not settling appeals to the inner core me and longterm satisfaction. Better to think about what you really want and then find it than let our emotions be dictated to by a 'thing'.

I also think that's where this whole 'I don't reach for it therefore it's bad' thing comes from. If something 'made us buy it' we need to honour that too or look at our own neg patterns and not just blame the thing itself.

For me, this past year, "sparking joy" was the catalyst for me being able to curate the items in my home instead of being overtaken by clutter. Now I think my mindset is more "mindful spending", which is a big thing for me.. it encompasses a few things, but most importantly--

1. Why do I want to buy this? is it the trends or am I upset about something?
2. Is this something that I would enjoy for the long haul? I try to remind myself that bags (very rarely) go rotten in the same way that fresh groceries can, so I should be mindful of whether or not I want to put my resources into that.

Sparking joy sounds so transient to me. Who knows what mood I'm in or why it sparks joy? Could be because it's become the latest status symbol. Reminds me of all those poor ladies that bought a Birkin or a K even when it wasn't a great colour or size for them just for the privilege of buying a sought after bag at H and not wanting to upset their SA etc. I think they caught up in the sparking joy too much LOL. Not settling appeals to the inner core me and longterm satisfaction. Better to think about what you really want and then find it than let our emotions be dictated to by a 'thing'.

I also think that's where this whole 'I don't reach for it therefore it's bad' thing comes from. If something 'made us buy it' we need to honour that too or look at our own neg patterns and not just blame the thing itself.
These are such excellent points @papertiger ! It turns the whole "spark joy" thing around on itself, but in a very creative way.

I'm going to have a good long conversation with myself about not settling this year.

:goodpost:

In the beginning of the year this thread always moves fast so people should just jump in wherever they can.
I took one of my favorite but least used bags out yesterday. I don't wear the mulberry small bayswater satchel enough because the strap is to short going crossbody, so I was only wearing it hand held. I thought about what Elaine said in last years thread and went in search of a longer more comfortable strap for it. I went to the Marc Jacobs outlet but they were very low on straps . Ended up getting a comfy temporary long strap at the lululemon outlet and wore it out of the store. The metals don't match but for now it makes the bag wearable. The mulberry has gold hardware and lulu has dark gunmetal so not as noticeable as silver would have been. Trying to make what I already own work better for me.
Would love to hear how this temporary long strap works for you. If it makes your bag wearable, you can always upgrade later in the year. Is the lululemon strap also wider, as well as longer? For me, it was also the width of the strap that distributed the weight of my bags better across my back & shoulder.

I like your no settling idea. I haven't read Kondo's book; so this is interesting to hear the idea that some believe their things are bad. I don't think of our belongings as bad or good. I simply don't want to keep things that are no longer useful to us. They might be useful to someone else, while making room for things we do use and enjoy. To me that is a huge positive and makes me smile, and hopefully helps someone else too. I like your idea of being creative to make things work, but when we're done with our things, I enjoy passing them on and am relieved to let them go. I don't like a lot of clutter, and with children, things are outgrown fast. Once-useful things have to go or we will run out of room.

I love having a variety of bags now, and took my time before starting to pass along the neglected ones. I'm thankful for everything we have and feel like it is such a luxury to have excess to share with others. I see this as a very good thing. I'm glad you shared your thoughts; so I could hear how this might all be a less positive process for some.

For me, this past year, "sparking joy" was the catalyst for me being able to curate the items in my home instead of being overtaken by clutter. Now I think my mindset is more "mindful spending", which is a big thing for me.. it encompasses a few things, but most importantly--

1. Why do I want to buy this? is it the trends or am I upset about something?
2. Is this something that I would enjoy for the long haul? I try to remind myself that bags (very rarely) go rotten in the same way that fresh groceries can, so I should be mindful of whether or not I want to put my resources into that.
These are great thoughts! I have the same issue with not wanting the home to be taken over by clutter.

In the beginning of the year this thread always moves fast so people should just jump in wherever they can.
I took one of my favorite but least used bags out yesterday. I don't wear the mulberry small bayswater satchel enough because the strap is to short going crossbody, so I was only wearing it hand held. I thought about what Elaine said in last years thread and went in search of a longer more comfortable strap for it. I went to the Marc Jacobs outlet but they were very low on straps . Ended up getting a comfy temporary long strap at the lululemon outlet and wore it out of the store. The metals don't match but for now it makes the bag wearable. The mulberry has gold hardware and lulu has dark gunmetal so not as noticeable as silver would have been. Trying to make what I already own work better for me.

Would love to hear how this temporary long strap works for you. If it makes your bag wearable, you can always upgrade later in the year. Is the lululemon strap also wider, as well as longer? For me, it was also the width of the strap that distributed the weight of my bags better across my back & shoulder.
This is fantastic! I love bags that have a place to clip a long strap or have adjustable straps. I'm glad you made your bag work dcooney4!

My "shopping my closet" goals for 2020:

1. I say this every year, but I really do feel "bag content"! (And then I buy a bag. Or two.) So this year I won't make any silly promises to myself. If a bag catches my eye, I'll seriously consider it within the context of my collection.
2. I will also be putting my bag collection under a high-power microscope… I have three bags that may not be perfect for me any more. In line with @papertiger 's point about not settling, I plan to be in "love it or list it" mode with each of these bags at some point this year.
3. I adore my collection of Hermès scarves, and I've honed it down to just the colors & designs that flatter me. I doubt I'll be buying anything new this year (though who knows what I'll find on the resale market???) but if something comes along in the F/W2020 season that lights up my brain, there's certainly a little corner for it. (Besides, scarves don't take up much room.)
4. I absolutely do not need any new jewelry. In fact, my goal is to be better about wearing the jewelry I own. Switching out earrings, f'rinstance, instead of wearing the same pair for five days in a row out of sheer laziness.
5. I also don't need any perfume, makeup, or shoes. All of which tend to tempt me when I'm stressed. It's just so easy, when the day has been ugly, to go online to Sephora and buy a pretty new eye shadow. Gotta stop that! :-s
6. Finally, as for clothes, I'm definitely in good shape for fall/winter, but I need some spring/summer tops in colors that suit me (per my color analysis last year). As soon as spring clothes become available, I plan to pounce… and NOT wait for things to go on sale in late summer!

Go ladies! Everyone has some great insight and goals.

Not sure if any of you are already finding it a challenge to keep to your goals, but I started finding strategies from others.

YouTube:
Audrey Coyne - one of my current faves. She talks a lot about capsule wardrobes and shopping your own closet.

General tips I've learned through others and trial by error:
- I have a wishlist now that I revisit weekly where I add and remove stuff. The idea is do I like something as a fad or do I actually like it. By regularly evaluating it, I can see what stands the test of time
- reminding myself of my spend goal every time I end up on a shopping website
- turning your coat hanger on pieces you wear when you wear them so that you see at the end of the season what got no wears
- does this item look anything like my existing items. If yes, which do I like better? I can only own one

Not sure if any of you are already finding it a challenge to keep to your goals, but I started finding strategies from others.

YouTube:
Audrey Coyne - one of my current faves. She talks a lot about capsule wardrobes and shopping your own closet.

- I have a wishlist now that I revisit weekly where I add and remove stuff. The idea is do I like something as a fad or do I actually like it. By regularly evaluating it, I can see what stands the test of time
- turning your coat hanger on pieces you wear when you wear them so that you see at the end of the season what got no wears
- does this item look anything like my existing items. If yes, which do I like better? I can only own one

Love the last point. Same goes for when we're buying and torn between 2 (or 3) which one do I like better (especially if you take the word 'bargain' 'discount' or 'sale' out of the equation).

YouTube:

I've just recently started a wishlist, too, with links to the items and (like you) the ability to add/remove. I've found it to be very helpful. I force myself to NOT buy anything on the list (even if it's just a candle, since candles seem to be my downfall lately!) until it's been there at least a week. Preferably more.

I'll check out Audrey Coyne on YouTube… thanks! :smile:

Love the last point. Same goes for when we're buying and torn between 2 (or 3) which one do I like better (especially if you take the word 'bargain' 'discount' or 'sale' out of the equation).
"Bargains," "discounts," and "sales" are my downfall. Which brings us right back to settling, doesn't it? Because a bargain isn't really a bargain if it's not 100% the right color, or shape, or neckline, or fabric, or…

Which is probably why it's on sale in the first place!

It really kills me to pay full price for anything, but when I look back into my closet at the things that have stood the test of time, they are generally the ones I bought because I adored them, rather than the ones that were on an amazing discount. :oh:

"Bargains," "discounts," and "sales" are my downfall. Which brings us right back to settling, doesn't it? Because a bargain isn't really a bargain if it's not 100% the right color, or shape, or neckline, or fabric, or…

Which is probably why it's on sale in the first place!

It really kills me to pay full price for anything, but when I look back into my closet at the things that have stood the test of time, they are generally the ones I bought because I adored them, rather than the ones that were on an amazing discount. :oh:
This is my biggest downfall. Sometimes I justify it by saying that it allows me to try a style without costing very much. Then I can look for the same style in my favorite color later. I do have things I got for bargains that I love, even if they weren't things I was looking for.

ETA: Second biggest downfall is to be influenced by talk and pictures on tpf. Sometimes I'll become interested in something because of all the chatter.

My "shopping my closet" goals for 2020:

1. I say this every year, but I really do feel "bag content"! (And then I buy a bag. Or two.) So this year I won't make any silly promises to myself. If a bag catches my eye, I'll seriously consider it within the context of my collection.
2. I will also be putting my bag collection under a high-power microscope… I have three bags that may not be perfect for me any more. In line with @papertiger 's point about not settling, I plan to be in "love it or list it" mode with each of these bags at some point this year.
3. I adore my collection of Hermès scarves, and I've honed it down to just the colors & designs that flatter me. I doubt I'll be buying anything new this year (though who knows what I'll find on the resale market???) but if something comes along in the F/W2020 season that lights up my brain, there's certainly a little corner for it. (Besides, scarves don't take up much room.)
4. I absolutely do not need any new jewelry. In fact, my goal is to be better about wearing the jewelry I own. Switching out earrings, f'rinstance, instead of wearing the same pair for five days in a row out of sheer laziness.
5. I also don't need any perfume, makeup, or shoes. All of which tend to tempt me when I'm stressed. It's just so easy, when the day has been ugly, to go online to Sephora and buy a pretty new eye shadow. Gotta stop that! :-s
6. Finally, as for clothes, I'm definitely in good shape for fall/winter, but I need some spring/summer tops in colors that suit me (per my color analysis last year). As soon as spring clothes become available, I plan to pounce… and NOT wait for things to go on sale in late summer!

ITA with all of these points. I'm so pleased you're bag content. I need to follow your advice on jewellery too.