2014 Touch Up Paint Thread

So first— full disclosure. I have owned three pairs of Loubs in my life. All Simple 70s in black patent. One purchased in late 2013 and the other two purchased this summer (right after sizes 42.5 and 43 became available ;). I also have two orphans from earlier (pre-2011 seasons). Long story. See below.

Girls I have taken this neurosis to an entirely new level. As you all know, I was on the quest to find the perfect paint so that I could *restore* to like new condition them and then apply a Zagg invisible shield. Review my OP for all the stuff I tried.

I didn’t finally find a very close match on eBay. However, it was way too thick to apply evenly and it was pretty obvious that she had simply purchased some cheap acrylic paint from a craft store. It is too thick, not adequately mixed and not intended for leather and certainly not for snow/salt/weather.

Finally, and here’s the kicker— her paint is the closest match I’ve found to my 2014 Summer Simple Pumps. However, it is way too deep for my shoes from earlier seasons. That’s right. The color is different depending on the seasons (years?). I don't know if CL changed its color or if the color on my older shoes simply aged over time but I will tell you this— the shoes I have from earlier seasons have never been worn. They are orphans that I bought at a sample sale with the goal of making them into art. Or something. I know. I’m such a dork. Anyway— the soles on my earlier shoes are pristine; they’ve never seen the ground.

So I’ve now decided that I’m going to figure out how to make my own paint— and at least two versions of it. One for pre-2011 shoes and one for post 2013 shoes. I don’t own any shoes from the years in between so I don’t know if either of my paints will match them.
The older shoes have more of an orange tint to them. I was reading this because I just caught my heel between two cement slabs today and it scraped some of the paint off of my heel (luckily it didn't nick the leather). I was just looking at the different touch up paints on eBay and wondering if they worked. This pair is older and has more of an orange tint to the bottoms.

Now I know that none of the stuff on eBay is worth spending my money on.

Maybe I should try that can of paint in the garage that my husband had initially painted the downstairs bathroom in...I called it bordello red and he immediately painted over it. I told him not to throw it out in case I ever needed to touch up my Loubies. :biggrin:

I actually just take mine to a shoe repair place recommended by NM and the guy puts a red rubber sole that matches the CL. It's perfect...it makes the shoes even more comfortable and the sole always looks red (red, white, black, etc....from when the paint peels off).
I agree, I still think the best solution is to get the red vibram soles put on by a good cobbler. You just have to do your research though because if the cobbler doesn't know what he is doing, he can ruin your shoes. I've seen some put the sole so far back that they cover half the Christian Louboutin signature or another pair I got in a consignment shop was actually cut where the vibram sole meets the sole.

I will only take mine to get the vibram soles put on in Manhattan by one specific cobbler (not even the one recommended by the CL store because they have bad ratings on yelp). Cobbler Express in Midtown does an excellent job and I'm pretty sure you can even mail your shoes to them. I would never get them done in NJ where I live--they would probably ruin them due to lack of experience.

Hm, finding a good cobbler is key. Too scared mine will get ruined. These rubber soles make the shoes better even?

It does. They will stay red forever, as long as you ask for the red Vibram soles. You can even buy the red ones on eBay and take them to a cobbler. I would either do research on yelp (that's what I did) to make sure the cobbler has experience with putting vibram soles on Louboutins the right way or send them to a place in a large metropolitan area that does it, although I've heard mixed reviews about the Leather Spa in NYC: that's the one recommended by the Christian Louboutin site. It costs $35-65, depending on where you get it done.

I'm uploading a picture to show you what it looks like (you should only have to do it once):

Attachments

• DSC02945-001.JPG
    DSC02945-001.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Realistically, I wonder how long these shoes will last. I know guys resole and can keep some high quality shoes for decades. I hope my Louobutin's stay good that long!

I'll have to investigate this rubber sole. I have already worn mine, but a cobbler should be able to apply it to a worn shoe.

Realistically, I wonder how long these shoes will last. I know guys resole and can keep some high quality shoes for decades. I hope my Louobutin's stay good that long!

I'll have to investigate this rubber sole. I have already worn mine, but a cobbler should be able to apply it to a worn shoe.
Yes, from what I understand they sometimes scratch some of the paint off so that they will adhere better. I've never seen my cobbler do that, but he's in a back room when he applies them.