$20,000 Decision...Please help!

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming marriage.:heart:

I don't want to be a bummer, but am I the only one that thinks 20K for a ring is insane, when you are also saving for a down payment on a home :confused1: :confused1:

Congratulations on the engagement! If you're having second thoughts, why not get a ring with a stone of higher quality (D in color, VVsi, etc.) from someone other than Tiffany (a lesser known, but reputable diamond dealer) and put the savings toward the wedding and house? Tiffany will always be there for anniversaries, upgrades, etc. I love Tiffany too, BTW...but I love my house much more.

I am will say this... I think its exciting to be able to get the ring and be able to pay that much for a ring but whats the sense of getting the ring and not be financially stable. My wedding ring was 1ct and band was also 1ct which wasn't very expensive now after 4 years of marriage, 2 houses, and 1 baby I have 2 diamond eternity bands a total of 6ct. IMO I would suggest you put the money toward your future... You can always get another ring.

I have a 1 ct. Tiffany ring, it was my decision to go under his budget and frankly I thought the difference between a 1 ct. and a 1.2 or 1.3 wasn't worth it for me. My color is also an H, which makes a bigdifference in price. So maybe a smaller stone is an option.

My fiance and I are also looking to buy a home and have a wedding soon, so I feel your pain re. the money. I guess knowing our salaries and approximately how much my fiance has saved up and how much I have made me comfortable with the decision we made. I think people get caught up in what they want now and don't realize there will be other rings later.

I'm already planning on some large diamond studs down the road!

Congratulations on your engagement!

And on deciding to go with a different ring -- no offense meant to those who love their Tiffany's rings, but the extra $$$ that goes towards the blue box can be a killer when you want to plan a wedding, buy a house, etc.

i think that may be a bit much for a ring since you are trying to save as much as possible for the wedding and a house. I'm sure you can find a beautiful ring for 10K and maybe use the other 10 for the wedding or for a partial down payment on the house.

I don't think the price is outrageous - I replied earlier as DH bought me ring with similar specs from Tiffany when we got engaged. As I said earlier, I think it's an individual decision and none of us know your financial situation. For me, it was one of the best purchases in the wedding.

DH and I had a pricey wedding and live in mid-high COL city... depending on your jobs, $20K is not unreasonable IMHO. The old rule of thumb was 2 months salary I think, and many Tiffany shoppers make that kind of money.

Thanks again for all the opinions and posts...I love how some suggested to buy the wedding band from T&Co :idea: I will def. look into it!!

I think when push comes to shove, I will be happier knowing he spent 5k less for a bigger stone, and that our wedding and down payment for our home does not have to be compromised :yes:

I really think the whole Tiffany thing is paying for the name. I would not buy a ring from Tiffany's because I know I would be paying more for the little tiffany blue box & bag! I would DEFINITELY go elsewhere. A diamond is a diamond. You want to focus on the 4 c's. Cut, Color, Clarity & Carot (sp? why does that look so mispelled). You could either get a bigger stone elsewhere or put the money towards your home, savings or sound investments. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do the whole Tiffany's thing!

I don't think the price is outrageous - I replied earlier as DH bought me ring with similar specs from Tiffany when we got engaged. As I said earlier, I think it's an individual decision and none of us know your financial situation. For me, it was one of the best purchases in the wedding.

DH and I had a pricey wedding and live in mid-high COL city... depending on your jobs, $20K is not unreasonable IMHO. The old rule of thumb was 2 months salary I think, and many Tiffany shoppers make that kind of money.
whether you have the money or not, you're still paying extra for the name. the husband of a good friend of mine and his whole family, run a jewelry business and he's always told me that unless you are in love with the design, not to buy brand name jewelry beacause it's overpriced. and this is especially true for diamonds. you can get the exact same quality for less money. i guess for some people the brand is important as a status symbol and they need that extra validation, and they're willing to pay for it.

I recently got married and my engagement ring was a 1.5ct round brilliant D colour VS1. Initially DH went to Tiffany and the prices was just so not worth it. To get the same stone, one would have to pay so much more that is you'd be paying for the brand and the little blue box. I'd say use the $$$ and buy a GIA certified stone from your local jeweler who would also be able to set it according to your own liking.

We however splurged on our wedding bands and bought Cartier :yes: worthy investment we felt.

I love Tiffany's but I don't think it's worth $20K - it is really for the name after all.

I agree with the others - do some more shopping around and try to get a loose diamond somewhere else.

With 20 grand you can get a bigger rock, tiffanys always ups the price cause its tiffanys.... if your not head over heels for it then browse else where ...