Food 2 sorbet recipes: #1 mango #2 tangerine

ProfNot

Sylvie Guillem fan
O.G.
May 10, 2006
I've made these recipes lately.
Non fat and very tasty.
Having an ice cream machine is handy but not necessary.

For each recipe you will need to make a simple syrup:
3/4c water
1/2c sugar
Heat water until it comes to a strong boil. (This can be done in microwave.) Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Chill thoroughly in frig. This is important.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

#1 recipe: Mango Sorbet
3 ripe medium mangoes, peeled and pitted
simple syrup
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 mini bottle of vodka (the size you are served on airplanes), optional

Process mango meat with simple syrup and lemon juice. Chill in refrigerator to 40 degrees Fahrenheit or less.
Follow ice cream machine's directions. Add vodka and mix a minute or two before turning off machine. This is important.

The vodka gives the sorbet a sparkly punch to the taste.
I discovered using vodka this way when I ran across a lemon pasta sauce recipe. It was amazing how much sparkle the vodka added. A touch of vodka is great in tomato pasta sauces, too.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

#2 recipe: Tangerine Sorbet
4c tangerine juice. Never from concentrate. I use Odwalla's or I squeeze the fruit myself.
simple syrup - double the above recipe
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 mini bottle of Campari

Combine tangerine juice with simple syrup and lemon juice. Stir. Chill in refrigerator to 40 degrees Fahrenheit or less.
Follow ice cream machine's directions. Add Campari and mix a minute or two before turning off machine. This is important.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

If you don't have an ice cream machine:
Prechill a large flat glass pan (like a lasagne pan) in the freezer. Prechill for at least an hour.
When the sorbet mixture is ready, pour into pan and freeze for 15 minutes. Then stir in alcohol with a large whisk or fork. Freeze for a few hours or until ready.

Enjoy!

Pictures of sorbets

Mango
pic23844_1.png

Tangerine
Frozen.jpg

They look delicious! If you don't mind me asking, what exactly should the consistency of a sorbet be? It isn't very popular here as far as I'm concerned, so I don't know.. should it be thick like ice cream, or more like a slurpee?