2.5-3.0 carat ladies

I can imagine why it would be a worrisome issue. To think that something so precious and beautiful is being held day-in and day-out for decades by four or six teeny little prongs!

Hi. I was a Fine Jewelry buyer for a major retailer in NYC ... until I had my 1st daughter. I personally believe that 4 prongs always look best. You want to see your beautiful diamond, not prongs. There is no difference in the amount of prongs. It is all a very personal choice. While I worked in this business, every friend and family member was giving me their rings to be repaired. I can tell you that there were a lot of 6-prongs that we changed to 4. Be sure to have a jeweler that you trust, watch any work done to the diamond, if you have any question - speak up. You should also inspect your ring occasionally, if you notice any shifting of the dia or splitting of the prongs stop wearing until you have a jeweler check it out. WEAR IT & ENJOY IT!
Congradulations!

We are looking at emerald cuts and I prefer 8 prongs (double prongs on each corner). It looks more balanced to me eye with the larger emerald cuts. With cushion cuts (which we are also looking at), I like 4 prongs more. In either case, I suppose it doesn't matter for security because all the mountings are platinum so it just comes down to a style choice.

I have been looking at photos of 3 carats trying to decide as well.
My jeweler recommends 6 although I *thought* I wanted 4.
I noticed that 4, while it looks great, it tends to sqaure off the diamond a bit, a 6 prong makes the round look very round.
KWIM?

Mines 1.74 and in four,but its all platinum and the claws are quite thick underneath the stone,but the tips are quite refined and not too bulbous on top. If my stone was bigger,I think I would seriously be considering more claws-mines well insured but I would be utterly devastated if anything happened to it. Saying that though through its daily life with me its had some eyewatering clonks!!! And its always been ok,once when I was getting in a car and caught it on the door,I was too scared to look at it I thought I had done it in for sure!!! But hubby looked at it for me and announced it was fine but my finger was going to get a hell of a bruise! I have put a couple of pics on for you,but I really think Littlesharon covered the key point of regular checks,cost nothing and can save so much heartache.

Attachments

• my jewellery and watches 003.JPG
    my jewellery and watches 003.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 74
  • my jewellery and watches 005.JPG
    my jewellery and watches 005.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 71
If I had a princess cut of that size, I'd go with v-prongs that are flushed against both sides of the corners instead of the classic round prongs. That would be my dream ring!

Also, I thought all metal prongs had steel bands within that keep it rigid? Yes? No?

sorry, I forget where I got my pic... not sure if it is genuine or cz... I am using to illustrate the v-prong for a square stone (princess, radiant, possibly emerald?).

Attachments

• vprongprincesscathedral2.jpg
    vprongprincesscathedral2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 61
What is the cut? I have a princess cut and anything more than 4 prongs would have looked funny I think. If it is round or cushion cut you could do six if you needed but with a reputable jeweler, 4 is probably plenty.

I have a 5 carat diamond that's in a 4 prong setting. It's perfectly safe in there, and I've never had a problem with it. A really awesome jeweler made it for me years ago.