14 Year-Old Arrested For Refusing To Study With Non- English Pupils

I have another suspicion that the Daily mail published this story as a sneaky way of making a young 14 year old girl look like a victim of multi-cultural Britan. (poor-child-cannot-even-do-schoolwork-becuase-of-foreign-immigrants-who-don't-speak-English)
Very, very likely... either way, the whole thing is just ridiculous. Even if she made racist comments, it's terrible of course, but is it something to arrest a 14 year old over? There's no real crime being committed. The world is going crazy :sad:

This is really silly. Yes, it is offensive to witness derogatory comments, etc. but no reason to put someone in jail. I think the young girl just didn't understand their language, and she wanted to sit with someone who she would understand so that they could 'discuss' as the teacher wanted them to do. I personally think that it is rude to speak a different language in front of someone who doesn't understand a word, b/c all you know, they could be talking about you.

Im partly Asian...and a Mom of a 14 yr old myself.........but I do understand alittle about the girls feelings on the situation...and she is 14...give her a break...

It would of done more good to just sit with her and give her a talk about not hurting someone's feelings and putting herself in someone elses shoes rather than what they did...

Like alot of ladies have said...Kids especially are going to speak their minds and unless it is cruel and unusual or very hurtful situation....it needs to be addressed and then let go of....we are not teaching our kids to handle situations properly if we keep slapping them everytime they say anything remotley askew of the correct manner politically.....:rolleyes:

What I find so distrubing is that, we all should talk about some things that are culturally differnt...even if its going to be done in an unorderly, not so cordial fashion...thats how we are going to be at ease with one another....instead of this "shut up, thats not right" bull.....come on...lets be real......:yes:

Something seems fishy & I'd need to know where the article came from before I could make a judgement. Also, notice it's in England & their tabloids are infamously inaccurate & needlessly sensational. My reaction will be very different if it's from a legitimate news source than if it's from a tabloid. Can you post the source ? Thanks.

I just googled "Civitas", who's deputy director was quoted in the article, & it's a fringe, extremist organization & this article reads almost exactly like their website. I'm thinking it's propaganda.

I agree. :yes:

When I have my students write an argument essay, I assign a website on Martin Luther King, Jr. for them to research. The website seems legitimate--it has a ".org" domain, news articles, trivia questions, etc.--but as they read through the articles, they start wondering why all of them have a negative slant. At the end of this assignment, they have to determine under whose name is the website run (Stormfront, militant white power organization.)

As for the news article, the girl is made to seem a victim of a pc-world gone extreme. Poor (white) girl, she can't do her work because the other (black) students can't speak English! They even jailed her! The tone of the article smacks of sensationalism.

Maybe the picture is off, but the girl resembles the skinhead girls that I have seen at this pub we used to live near (yes, I do occasionally see skinheads in SF!) They, too, had dyed-black hair and the same hair cut.

When I have my students write an argument essay, I assign a website on Martin Luther King, Jr. for them to research. The website seems legitimate--it has a ".org" domain, news articles, trivia questions, etc.--but as they read through the articles, they start wondering why all of them have a negative slant. At the end of this assignment, they have to determine under whose name is the website run (Stormfront, militant white power organization.)
quote]

Great stuff ! You sound like a GREAT teacher. I teach as well (music & recording) & really appreciate the many lessons an assignment like this one teaches. IMHO, our kids are being tested to death & are being discouraged from practicing critical thinking. The biggest hurdle I face as a college instructor is overcoming their fear of THINKING for THEMSELVES. They're scared to death they'll be wrong. Your assignment is a FABULOUS approach that is sure to open minds & jump start the inquisitive, learning process.

I'm also a political junkie & write a bit (not much but 1 of my op/ed pieces ran full page w/art work in a Sunday Dallas Morning News). I've recently turned to bags as my new obsession because I was getting so disgusted with all the lies these days that are accepted as truth & never questioned. I live in Texas & the level of purposeful ignorance is astounding! Of course, when I saw this post, my radar went off & I couldn't resist diving in (lol).

BTW, I've seen several of your posts & am always impressed with your comments. Nice to meet ya !

quote]

Great stuff ! You sound like a GREAT teacher. I teach as well (music & recording) & really appreciate the many lessons an assignment like this one teaches. IMHO, our kids are being tested to death & are being discouraged from practicing critical thinking. The biggest hurdle I face as a college instructor is overcoming their fear of THINKING for THEMSELVES. They're scared to death they'll be wrong. Your assignment is a FABULOUS approach that is sure to open minds & jump start the inquisitive, learning process.

I'm also a political junkie & write a bit (not much but 1 of my op/ed pieces ran full page w/art work in a Sunday Dallas Morning News). I've recently turned to bags as my new obsession because I was getting so disgusted with all the lies these days that are accepted as truth & never questioned. I live in Texas & the level of purposeful ignorance is astounding! Of course, when I saw this post, my radar went off & I couldn't resist diving in (lol).

BTW, I've seen several of your posts & am always impressed with your comments. Nice to meet ya !

Thanks, SoundPam. I teach at a college prep high school, and my biggest hurdle is getting the students to think for themselves, too! Standardized testing, as well as administrators, forces teachers to teach to the test so students will pass. When we get students from regular middle schools, they have a difficult time analyzing and using critical thinking skills because they are used to regurgitating what the teacher force-fed them. I try my best to get my students to actually think and apply their own ideas.

I, too, come on tpf when I want to escape from work. I can only read through so many high school student essays before I feel like I am going to go nuts!:upsidedown:

"I, too, come on tpf when I want to escape from work. I can only read through so many high school student essays before I feel like I am going to go nuts!"

Exactly ! (though I've been "escaping" a bit too much & must start putting shoulder to grindstone) BTW - did you notice how many posters responded as if the article were accurate even after it's veracity was brought into question by several of us ? Shows how hard it is to battle misinformation.

Other countries don't have freedom of speech to the degree we currently have in the U.S.A. This story is one of the more ridiculous ones, but stories not much less ridiculous happen every day in our institutes of "higher education" censoring ideas other than far-left.

This definitely seems a bit extreme. Whatever happened to detention?
Also, I have been at a table of people speaking a foreign language, it isn't fun if you don't understand and you feel completely left out.

There are areas of Northern England that have racial tensions (sometimes coming from both sides) and probably why this story mads it into a Newspaper. Some people outside the UK many not know that the Daily Mail is a right-wing semi tabloid that loves to right about any matter that does not fall in line with white, middle class Britain.

That said, calling the Police over something like this is a waste of time and resources! She spoke up because she couldn't get her schoolwork done - should she have kept quite, done no work and then recveived a bad grade instead? Ridiculous! I am slightl Suspicious that the teacher was either a crazy PC-nut or had something personal against this girl.

I have another suspicion that the Daily mail published this story as a sneaky way of making a young 14 year old girl look like a victim of multi-cultural Britan. (poor-child-cannot-even-do-schoolwork-becuase-of-foreign-immigrants-who-don't-speak-English)

So true MissThing, they really are notorious for there right wing views, poor girl was probably used as a scape goat. :confused1: