13 Reasons Why

I bought the book and wanted to watch the series after I read it (and I read it cover to cover the day I got it). I binge watched it over Canada Day weekend and I was in tears by the end. Not only because of how well it was made, but also because I just felt for Hannah.

And I think it really affected me because I was bullied in eighth grade and I was miserable. My heart just broke all over again for Eighth Grade Caitlin. It got to the point where therapists were asking me if I was thinking of killing myself. I was shocked they even asked that but looking back at it, I'm glad they did. Admittedly, I never actually planned anything but I did wonder what it would be like if I just disappeared, if I got away from there or if everything just stopped. Whatever I was going through I remember either talking about it or writing it down, just getting it out of me.

As much as I love the Selena Gomez song in the series, the whole thing is a bit too raw for me right now to be listening to it or putting on my iPod. I will, just not right now.

One criticism of the show was that it somehow glamorized suicide. I really wish they'd stop using that word. To glamorize something means to make it more desirable. T

Talking about that scene (there was nothing glamorous about it!) reminded me of the poem Resume by Dorothy Parker: Razors pain you; Rivers are damp; Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp; Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give; Gas smells awful; You might as well live.